Pp eligible

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
taps1

Pp eligible

Post by taps1 »

Hi all. thank you all for such informative information.
Ds got 220. He could have been eligible for pp but i never put him on school meals even tho entittle to.
Now i can see DS could have had a good chance for KEFw or eve KECHB.
Is there any chance for me to inform the schools or of this? or should i jhust hope for HGS
please help.
TheThinEndOfTheWedge

Re: Pp eligible

Post by TheThinEndOfTheWedge »

taps1 wrote:Hi all. thank you all for such informative information.
Ds got 220. He could have been eligible for pp but i never put him on school meals even tho entittle to.
Is there any chance for me to inform the schools or of this? or should i jhust hope for HGS
please help.
Hi Taps,
We are also in a similar situation. From speaking to the admissions department for the Birmingham consortium, it appears that being 'eligible' for free school meals is not the same under the rules for pupil premium as being 'registered'. In order to be eligible for PP you must have been REGISTERED on the schools FSM system at some point in the last six years, even if it was only for a month or so. In addition, as far as I am aware, you needed to indicate PP when you registered for the 11+ online, I don't think it can be applied to the registration retrospectively. Parents are now being asked to provide the relevant evidence for PP to the schools before a school specific deadline in order to qualify.

So, in short, you may be too late to use the PP eligibility. The best thing you can probably do is phone the Birmingham Consortium and speak to someone about it. They were hugely helpful in our situation, and we had many emails going back and forth at one point! Our situation is that the school has informed us that DS was eligible but cannot confirm he was registered...in fact, they were not aware of the type of proof required by the grammar schools to qualify for PP and are yet to receive it. DS's score thankfully takes him above the cut off for last year, but if it hadn't we would certainly have placed more emphasis on possible PP qualification.

I'm not an expert by any means (nor can I guarantee that this information is 100% accurate), but hope that this helps you a little. Good luck!
quasimodo

Post by quasimodo »

taps1 wrote:Hi all. thank you all for such informative information.
please help.
Your son also scored 348 for QMGS. Congratulations on your son scores. You have two potential and highly likely grammar schools without pp. That's two more than the majority of children who took the exams.

I don't think you need any help provided they are in commuting distance.You will still be able to avail for your son the help that comes with PP once he is at either school with the requisite evidence.

It seems almost like to me you have two potential precious diamonds potentially in your hand but you would like two different and perceived to be more precious ones.
In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years.

Abraham Lincoln
taps1

Post by taps1 »

Quasimodo and The ThinEndOfTheWedge,Thank you so much for your help. Yes the closest for us is HGS within 2 miles so I will stop worrying about what could have been and be happy with our situation. As Quasimodo said I should treasure what I have.The Thin EndOfWedge thanks for your time. I am happy for you and your DS.
We will settle for HGS if DS gets a place as QMGS is a bit out of the way for travel. So we will put HGS first on the CAF.. thank you all
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now