Adams Results

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
pennwald

Re: Adams Results

Post by pennwald »

onebigdilemma wrote:My son got in off waiting list for Adams last year on 319
I know of someone who didn't get a place with a score of 318 so last years cut off was around that point.
However, as commented above, the effect of the catchment area makes it very hard to forecast where it will be this year.
Wolves mum

Post by Wolves mum »

The only thing worrying me is that in 2013 rsults were sent from Adams and QMGS and one parent had different results from each school which was an admin error. Any such error will not be picked up now we have only one score. I only ticked QMGS as I wanted 2 letters in case one came earlier than the other. However now I'm glad I did as I have a realistic expectation of my chances.
tvgirl

Post by tvgirl »

Wolves mum wrote:The only thing worrying me is that in 2013 rsults were sent from Adams and QMGS and one parent had different results from each school which was an admin error. Any such error will not be picked up now we have only one score. I only ticked QMGS as I wanted 2 letters in case one came earlier than the other. However now I'm glad I did as I have a realistic expectation of my chances.
I cannot tell you how much I wish I had ticked both now!
ronkevso

Post by ronkevso »

We got a letter saying that my son would benefit from a grammar school education. Does that mean he passed? Does that mean we will not get a breakdown of results?
Bob1892

Post by Bob1892 »

Adams have got a lost to answer for ( leaving folks in the dark)............
DPs in future- tick the shared box!
Wolves mum

Post by Wolves mum »

If i have a letter saying strongly suggest you apply and I am in the catchment area does that mean I am guaranteed a place?
booellesmum

Post by booellesmum »

ronkevso wrote:We got a letter saying that my son would benefit from a grammar school education. Does that mean he passed? Does that mean we will not get a breakdown of results?
Getting the feeling will only get breakdown if ticked QM as well. If ticked will get separate letter with breakdown, if not apply to Adams anyway as great chance. :D
tvgirl

Post by tvgirl »

Wolves mum wrote:If i have a letter saying strongly suggest you apply and I am in the catchment area does that mean I am guaranteed a place?
It will depend on how many PP and looked after children also got the letter and how many from the catchment area. If all three add up to less than 100 then yes I think it probably does. If it adds up to more than 100 then it will depend on how many put Adams as their preference and what your son scored in relation to the others. I have to say, if you're in catchment I'd feel fairly confident though :D
Tolstoy

Post by Tolstoy »

In Gloucestershire many moons ago one of the boy's Grammars didn't give out results just a yeh or nay. DP then got into the habit of ticking the boxes of other Grammars that did as it would give you more of an idea of DCs chances. However the scores between schools did vary as although all use the same test they do have different cohorts and the standardisation used to throw up some variables because they couldn't use the national standardisation but they had to adapt it.

Is it always the case that QM and Adams scores tally?

The school did start giving out scores in the end and now all the schools have moved to rankings. I am guessing because people ticking all boxes regardless of intentions was creating havoc with the standardisation and the ranking systems in place.

I say this because the last year or two before the Boys Grammar introduced the scores was the last year or two the top school in the pecking order went not only low down it's ranks but actually had to contact DC it had initially told didn't pass.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Tolstoy wrote:In Gloucestershire many moons ago one of the boy's Grammars didn't give out results just a yeh or nay. DP then got into the habit of ticking the boxes of other Grammars that did as it would give you more of an idea of DCs chances. However the scores between schools did vary as although all use the same test they do have different cohorts and the standardisation used to throw up some variables because they couldn't use the national standardisation but they had to adapt it.

Is it always the case that QM and Adams scores tally?

The school did start giving out scores in the end and now all the schools have moved to rankings. I am guessing because people ticking all boxes regardless of intentions was creating havoc with the standardisation and the ranking systems in place.

I say this because the last year or two before the Boys Grammar introduced the scores was the last year or two the top school in the pecking order went not only low down it's ranks but actually had to contact DC it had initially told didn't pass.
We get one standardised score which qualifies the DC (or otherwise, of course) for any of the schools of the 11 in the consortium relevant to their gender. There is a 'floor' score for the schools in our part of the consortium, which is effectively a pass mark for DC living in the catchment postcodes - it also applies to OOC but in practice they need to have a higher score to get in as there are lots of them and the number of grammar places available to them depends on IC demand.

Back in the days when one only got the score at the same time as the allocation of schools, you would also be told your child's ranking for all the consortium schools you had applied to.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx