Adams Results

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
um

Re: Adams Results

Post by um »

It needs to be a Freedom of Information request, not data protection...

Given that you are outside catchment (I'm assuming from what you have said that Adam's has a catchment), it does seem frustratingly ambiguous. I assume there are some contact details on the letter for you to find out more?
tvgirl

Post by tvgirl »

MSD wrote:
tvgirl wrote:
MSD wrote:Does the letter say they will be happy to offer you a place? They did this 3 years ago - if the child comfortably made the cut-off, no scores were given out.

I thought all Walsall consortium schools were meant to report in the same way and provide scores this year, whether high or low.
No. They are very clear that the letter is not an offer. It simply says that my son "will benefit from a g rammar school education". In other words it means he has passed the exam and achieved their cut-off mark, but there is no info about what the cut-off is or what his score is and it says in bold that there will be no further information available from the school. It's very frustrating!!

I think what happens now is that they apply the catchment area and so my son drops into the bottom part (we are about a mile outside catchment on the wrong side to have any other options open to us :( :( ) and so we have to hope his score is very high to have a chance.

I'm really not enjoying this process!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Fire off a request under data protection!
It feels a bit extreme to do that! I'll have to have a chat with DH tonight first!!
tvgirl

Post by tvgirl »

um wrote:It needs to be a Freedom of Information request, not data protection...

Given that you are outside catchment (I'm assuming from what you have said that Adam's has a catchment), it does seem frustratingly ambiguous. I assume there are some contact details on the letter for you to find out more?
This is the first year they have introduced a catchment area so the big problem is that here is no real way of assessing whether its even worth applying from outside the catchment area. At least over the next few years some more data will be available so it will be easier to work out whether to go through the pain of the 11+ at all!!
MSD

Post by MSD »

MSD wrote:
tvgirl wrote:
MSD wrote:Does the letter say they will be happy to offer you a place? They did this 3 years ago - if the child comfortably made the cut-off, no scores were given out.

I thought all Walsall consortium schools were meant to report in the same way and provide scores this year, whether high or low.
No. They are very clear that the letter is not an offer. It simply says that my son "will benefit from a g rammar school education". In other words it means he has passed the exam and achieved their cut-off mark, but there is no info about what the cut-off is or what his score is and it says in bold that there will be no further information available from the school. It's very frustrating!!

I think what happens now is that they apply the catchment area and so my son drops into the bottom part (we are about a mile outside catchment on the wrong side to have any other options open to us :( :( ) and so we have to hope his score is very high to have a chance.

I'm really not enjoying this process!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Fire off a request under data protection!
Hi Um - this is what I received from admissions coordinator of QM boys 3 years ago.

The information you have requested is not covered under the Freedom Of Information Act, as it is a request for access to personal data. This is however covered under the Data Protection Act. The time allowed for such requests is 40 days from the date of request. I expect to inform you next week.
MSD

Post by MSD »

TVgirl - I can dig out the template we used and send you by PM if you wish.

MSD
pennwald

Post by pennwald »

Another possible way forward before resorting to a DPA/FOI request would be to go along to one of the open days next week and see what info you can get from the head. Going by what was said at the open days last year, he probably won't disclose this years cut-off scores, but the very least he should be willing to do is explain the change in the level of info provided.
tvgirl

Post by tvgirl »

MSD wrote:TVgirl - I can dig out the template we used and send you by PM if you wish.

MSD
That would be great! Thanks :D
Wolves mum

Post by Wolves mum »

The school said results haven't been issued as it causes too many problems with children parents comparing results. Queen marys have issued results if you applied to both you will find out result.
MSD

Post by MSD »

Wolves mum wrote:The school said results haven't been issued as it causes too many problems with children parents comparing results. Queen marys have issued results if you applied to both you will find out result.
I personally thinks it's a terrible way of reporting.
Wolves mum

Post by Wolves mum »

I as a parent would assume my childs score is in the 400's :lol: from that letter whereas QM letter confirms its only 312 :shock:

With the catchment I have no idea where I stand.

I am a little annoyed at DS as he refused to do any practise and I feel he let himself down by not giving 100% but on the other hand he did well with no tuition. I have come to realise no siblings are the same and happiness is more important.

I'm sure DS will be happy and successful wherever he goes and he will reach great heights.....even if its at his own slower pace :D
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now