Newport Girls High

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Bluedad

Newport Girls High

Post by Bluedad »

We've recently received the results of daughters exam for NGHS. She scored 315. Is that a more than likely score to be offered a place ?
Bluedad

Re: Newport Girls High

Post by Bluedad »

And am I also correct in thinking that 3 letters have been sent out. 1 encouraging an application a second suggesting that you could be borderline and a third suggesting not to apply ??
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Bluedad wrote:We've recently received the results of daughters exam for NGHS. She scored 315. Is that a more than likely score to be offered a place ?
Bluedad wrote:And am I also correct in thinking that 3 letters have been sent out. 1 encouraging an application a second suggesting that you could be borderline and a third suggesting not to apply ??
Can you not get some idea from the wording of your own letter, whether or not your DD has a reasonable chance of a place? Or does the letter come completely separately from the results and you haven't received it yet?
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Bluedad

Post by Bluedad »

The letter does 'strongly recommend ' application. The score to me though seems borderline as previous years entry level were 319 315 and 312.
Petitpois

Post by Petitpois »

I would be putting down nghs and Wghs in that order, even if it meant I might be on waiting list. Nothing to lose, you have4 other choices for your best comp still
onebigdilemma

Post by onebigdilemma »

You have said yourself the previous years scores so you know that it is going to be a close call. No one on here will be able to give you a definite answer Yes or No, will have fingers crossed for your DD.

Petitpois we don't all have that many choices on our form, in my area you can only put down 3 choices.
Thumbsup

Post by Thumbsup »

I went to the AGS Open Day last week, the Head stated only 2 letters were sent.

However, I am convinced that 3 letters were sent. As a few different parents have said that their letter said your child would benefit from grammar education, but did not have the 'strongly encourage to apply' bit in there.

I wish I could actually view a letter, but I feel bad asking anyone! Has anyone else heard the same??

I think two types of your child would benefit from grammar education and then one your child would struggle with grammar education letters have been sent. But cannot be sure.
Cosmo6

Post by Cosmo6 »

Thumbsup wrote:I went to the AGS Open Day last week, the Head stated only 2 letters were sent.

However, I am convinced that 3 letters were sent. As a few different parents have said that their letter said your child would benefit from grammar education, but did not have the 'strongly encourage to apply' bit in there.

I wish I could actually view a letter, but I feel bad asking anyone! Has anyone else heard the same??

I think two types of your child would benefit from grammar education and then one your child would struggle with grammar education letters have been sent. But cannot be sure.
I have heard the same thing, but no one can confirm if this is true. We had a 'strongly encourage' letter. Other people we know have said their son passed but we don't know the actual wording of their letters.....other than 'would benefit from' bit. It is a bit awkward asking people really.
Interestingly, the head only mentioned 'would benefit from' and 'would struggle with' letters. He made no comment about the wording 'encourage' or 'strongly encourage' during his presentation. Is there a reason for that?
It is only Adams that I have heard might have the mystery 3rd letter......
Thumbsup

Post by Thumbsup »

I also agree ... Very insensitive to ask more questions from those who say they received 'would benefit from letter'. I have however tentatively asked friends l if it included the wording strongly encourage to apply also (like my letter did) but they look at me blankly and I just shut up then.

The parents that I spoke to are not the sort to make these type of things up. Plus it's a number of different people saying this. I just think it's all very fishy!!
Cosmo6

Post by Cosmo6 »

Thumbsup wrote:I also agree ... Very insensitive to ask more questions from those who say they received 'would benefit from letter'. I have however tentatively asked friends l if it included the wording strongly encourage to apply also (like my letter did) but they look at me blankly and I just shut up then.

The parents that I spoke to are not the sort to make these type of things up. Plus it's a number of different people saying this. I just think it's all very fishy!!
It is fishy. I actually rang Adams the day we got the letters because I was so confused by the lack of score. I thought it was a mistake. Anyway whoever I spoke to said all the info I needed was in the letter. I replied there was no score and they asked what my letter said. When I quoted 'would benefit from/strongly encourage' He said well there you go then that tells you everything you need to know........ :?
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now