Wolverhampton Girls High - open evening

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Bob1892

Re: Wolverhampton Girls High - open evening

Post by Bob1892 »

Petitpois wrote:personal translator and butler as well>>?
You'll need a pt in Wolvo land - hush in case PHM hears you
Petitpois

Post by Petitpois »

I nearly got in trouble when one of the teachers asked if I wanted him to demonstrate a singing bowel.

I initially thought that doesn't sound good at all, so I asked again and clarified it was a singing bowl

:lol:
quasimodo

Post by quasimodo »

Done that on more than one occasion in those side streets.Its a Punjabi thing.

PHM is a lovely woman coping with what life has thrown at her.Her disabled child amongst her children presents daily challenges.She simply didn't read the irony in the comments and took them literally.

I am enjoying you all let off steam it is a stressfull time.

(this is a response to bobs post at 11.54)
In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years.

Abraham Lincoln
Bob1892

Post by Bob1892 »

It was all said with our tongues firmly in our cheeks- no malice intended. :D
Big job for Klopp Q- hope he gets off to a good start!
staffsmum

Post by staffsmum »

PP I think you were probably right about the quality of the speech delivered by the head teacher and head girl as there was a stark difference in the delivery ! However saying that I think it is a fantastic testemant of the school itself that the Head girl was so impressive.We have had 3 open events in the last 2 weeks, NGHS, an independent and WGHS. I was very impressed with WGHS and it certainly won hands down for us ! I have to say over recent years I've have looked at quite a few schools including a highly regarded independent girls school in Manchester but dare I say that WGHS compared very favourably.. Here's fingers crossed now !
Petitpois

Post by Petitpois »

Yes I agree. WGHS was absolutely impressive.

As my wolvo lad co-tourer pointed out, if you get a place, its the equivalent of £14k * 7 = £98k.

He said that's what you would pay round the corner at the boys grammar and the girls high was better in his view. I won't say say the context, but I listened carefully to his view.

He also spoke extremely highly of Queen Mary's Boys BTW - pointing out the value of the history of the school and its military links and the impact that had on DC development.

Regardless of KE machinations, we have this as a choice. I am going to ring the best local comp and have a conversation, see if they can convince me to reconsider.
Petitpois

Post by Petitpois »

Rang best local comp. Said I was seriously considering them as a high performing local school that we were in catchment for (as we were worried about commute for other options). Asked who was the best person to speak to as I wanted to understand the stretch and challenge the school could offer and the CAF form decision is looming

Here is how it played out

1) Don't really know. Let me find out. (Fine)
2) Waited and then the came back and they conveyed that you need to speak X. (Super)
3) Responded that's fantastic - replied but they are not available. Okay when would they be available? Call back sometime next week, but they are very busy all the time, so who knows if they can take your call. (Not so fine)
4) Okay was about to end the call (could not be bothered at this point), when it was suggested that I send any questions in by email. (okay)

Oh well as least I have narrowed down the options.
JamesDean

Post by JamesDean »

Petitpois wrote:Rang best local comp. Said I was seriously considering them as a high performing local school that we were in catchment for (as we were worried about commute for other options). Asked who was the best person to speak to as I wanted to understand the stretch and challenge the school could offer and the CAF form decision is looming

Here is how it played out

1) Don't really know. Let me find out. (Fine)
2) Waited and then the came back and they conveyed that you need to speak X. (Super)
3) Responded that's fantastic - replied but they are not available. Okay when would they be available? Call back sometime next week, but they are very busy all the time, so who knows if they can take your call. (Not so fine)
4) Okay was about to end the call (could not be bothered at this point), when it was suggested that I send any questions in by email. (okay)

Oh well as least I have narrowed down the options.
To make it a fair test, surely you must phone and ask the same question of the grammars you are looking at too ...

JD
Thumbsup

Post by Thumbsup »

I was speaking to some parents who attended the open evening at WGS. I was told that the Head very clearly stated a few times that must put WGS as first choice on CAF, if put 2nd or 3rd you won't be considered. I really doubt this, but parents were adamant. Please can someone who attended clarify?

I thought schools don't know your order of preference? And that if your 1st choice cannot be offered then you would be considered for 2nd. If both selective schools then it is based on your ranking. This comment from another parent has given me yet another sleepless night! Just when I thought I figured out what we were going to put on CAF for DS.
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

Put your schools in YOUR TRUE ORDER OF PREFERENCE.

Your application will be considered against their entry criteria in the order of preference you have listed. If you do not get your first school, your second listed school will be considered as if it was your first - you will be placed in the highest of your preference schools to which you meet the criteria.

For example you put: 1) red school 2) blue school 3) yellow school. You scored 75/100

Red school's entry requires you to score 78/100, blue school 74/100 and yellow school 70/100

You do not get accepted for red school. Blue school now EFFECTIVELY becomes your (new) First choice school. You get given entry to Blue school - they don't know you put red school first - they just know you met their entry requirement.

You get removed from yellow school list as you have been given one of your higher preference schools. You will be put on red school's waiting list (unless you request to be removed) as you indicated to the council (by putting red school first) that that would be your real preference. You may or may not be offered a place at red school from the waiting list.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now