QMGS vs BV

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

jojob

QMGS vs BV

Post by jojob »

Hi,I'm new here, though been lurking a while. Went to the QMGS this morning was very impressed. Think we may prefer to BV ( though don't even know if ds scored high enough for BV yet, got 333 for QM) so want to ask people's opinions on which is best. Also want to share something I've learned through this process- don't have preconceived ideas. QM was an afterthought, an insurance policy, I nearly didn't bother applying, thought it was too far from Lichfield and BV was the only option, now I'm so glad ds went for a place there.
Midlandsmom

Re: QMGS vs BV

Post by Midlandsmom »

Hi jojob, I can't help you, as we haven't considered BV (too far), but did similar, in that QMGS was meant to be a back up, but after a good score in the exam and visiting today it's catapulted up to top of my list! Welcome, hopefully someone can offer an opinion on QM vs BV for you :)
Petitpois

Post by Petitpois »

I have got DD, but parent at girls high last night was totally gushing about QMGS. History, Ethos, Military links. Saw it as an exemplar of British culture. Gutted really cos not getting in, no matter what score she got. :P
jojob

Post by jojob »

I know it's going to be decided by the exam results on the 16th ( or a bit earlier-fingers crossed) and where ds wants to go, but just find it ironic that our plan b ( QM) could now be preferable. Just seems like it has more to offer than BV. Also it would mean the summer holiday studying sessions, of at least three mornings a week each week, were not required. I know having both to choose between would be a lovely, lucky dilemma to have though :D
Petitpois

Post by Petitpois »

We did two per week, but would you have given up without knowing the results?
jojob

Post by jojob »

Of course not, we wouldn't have taken that risk. After going to a comp myself that was rife with bullying and had a complete lack of disipline, which 25 years later I'm still left with issues from, I'm determined to get my ds into the best school possible and to grab any opportunity. That's why I've been so focused on this. Luckily he's extremely bright, so gs is an option.
Petitpois

Post by Petitpois »

I respect your reasons for being driven to do the best for your kids.

I remember going to a certain posh school for girls nr Jockey road, Sutton to help deliver cement and sand, for some building work when I was about 10 (no one batted an eye lid back then at casual wagging and illegal child labour).

The teachers looked at me like I was some kind of navvy. I looked at the school and the kids in the play ground, like they were from Mars. I think if they had tasers in those days I would have got tasered.

So much has changed. So much hasn't!
booellesmum

Post by booellesmum »

Petitpois wrote:I respect your reasons for being driven to do the best for your kids.

I remember going to a certain posh school for girls nr Jockey road, Sutton to help deliver cement and sand, for some building work when I was about 10 (no one batted an eye lid back then at casual wagging and illegal child labour)

The teachers looked at me like I was some kind of navvy. I looked at the school and the kids in the play ground, like they were from Mars. I think if they had tasers in those days I would have got tasered.

So much has changed. So much hasn't!
Lol - how long ago was that? I may have been in the playground, although if I looked at you it would have been with longing to join you and a wish to escape!!!
Petitpois

Post by Petitpois »

I think it was 1979 but I can't remember exactly. I vaguely (and it is very vague) remember girls with I think Green uniforms and the straw type boater hats. They were ALL washed and had clean uniforms on, which just looked liked absolute luxury from my perspective. A significant number of kids at my school were coming into school filthy and were struggling with basic clothes etc. A very formative experience
jojob

Post by jojob »

It was the same at my primary petitpois, with many kids coming in dirty and smelly, they were neglected at home, I suppose. There were some success stories from both poor schools I went to, I became a pharmacist and there are a few solicitors etc, but that was rare. It's a world away from ds' nice state primary and the gs I hope to send him to.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now