Queen Mary Open Morning

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Petitpois

Queen Mary Open Morning

Post by Petitpois »

Just a quick summary of seeing QMHS in detail yesterday, hope this helps with your decision/s

1)School was very close knit and had a community feel
2) Our guide an older girl said she chose commuting from Sutton over KE places and Arthur Terry (so that;s more than once I have heard of that)
3) I had the privilege of watching a gas diffusion experiment and class led by a Mrs B. What an outstanding exemplar of a class and a science teacher. Brilliant inspirational science teaching totally enthusing the children to get into their learning. It was like being on the set of one of those motivational DFE ads that try and encourage graduates and professionals to take up teaching.
4) Had a chat with the Drama teacher said he absolutely loved the placed.
5) lots of resources for those with a creative slant. Art, textiles etc my DD liked that
6) Guide could not stop praising the Head of Maths. She pointed to the brilliant teaching and even highlight a little help me board thing, where pupils could write down areas of maths or the last class and ask for additional help.

What a lovely little school. I got a real sense that if your child is the type that would do better in a more cosy, sort of family environment, then this school might be well worth considering.

PP
Midlandsmom

Re: Queen Mary Open Morning

Post by Midlandsmom »

It's currently my no 1 place to aim for for my DD in 2 years time (for obvious reasons after son's KE disaster, lol). Everything you've mentioned would very much suit her too... One to see next year for me. Good luck today PP :D
pinkhousemom

Post by pinkhousemom »

My year 7 DD adores the school. Best decision we could have made to send her there. She comes home happy every single day. :)
bluejay

Post by bluejay »

pinkhousemom wrote:My year 7 DD adores the school. Best decision we could have made to send her there. She comes home happy every single day. :)
Thats lovely to hear, having happy children is the most important factor in all of this.
Happyfeet62

Post by Happyfeet62 »

Would agree totally with PP. Small school, very welcoming and friendly. Induction eases any worries for parents and children who are only ones from primary school- as my DD was. DD came home yesterday full of enthusiasm for mentor system that girls sign up for if they need maths etc explaining and sixth former arranges support. Even if children don't need help it makes children feel secure because all of their needs are being considered. DD enjoying every aspect of school and as mentioned previously having happy child is very important.
SCmum

Post by SCmum »

So nice to hear this school being praised as I think some people see it as a last resort. I have said on this forum previously that my DD was offered SG 2nd week into September this year and absolutely wouldn't consider it because she is so happy at QM (not bothered in the least commuting from Sutton Coldfield). Her friend was also offered and declined for the same reason. As PP said the school really has a great sense of community/family and this suits my daughters personality perfectly!! Funny how things turn out- she was very disappointed not be offered SG on March 2nd but I really believe everything happens for a reason because I cannot imagine her being more happy than she is now Please hold onto this thought to all those who are feeling disappointed at the moment.
Happyfeet62

Post by Happyfeet62 »

So true SCmum. Obviously can only speak for our DD. Scored high enough for Camphill but decided QM environment was more suited. Was initially very torn for many reasons but am 100% happy with decision. Good luck to everyone with their decisions.
indigop

Post by indigop »

My daughter is in yr 8 at QMHS. It is a fantastic school. Great environment, great teachers and an inspiring place to be.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now