Go to navigation
It is currently Thu Dec 08, 2016 10:04 pm

All times are UTC




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: KEHS exam suppprt.
PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2015 8:30 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Oct 07, 2015 10:13 pm
Posts: 69
Hi all,

My DD has shown a big interest in sitting the January exam. We will need to apply for an assisted place and understand that the competition will be fierce. Does anyone have any tips on how best to prepare for it in terms of revision etc?

Thanks,

C x


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: KEHS exam suppprt.
PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2015 9:29 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu Jul 02, 2015 6:44 am
Posts: 1425
Hi Casey were over the line for our first choice KE Handsworth Girls, which we are thrilled with, if we get it confirmed. With solid 100% fall back for WGHS, Sutton and QMHS. It was nice this morning to see the 5 grammars and 1 fall back comp on the provisional preference list.

We have decided to carry on and do the KEHS exam in Jan. From what we know here is what our next steps will be looking like.

1) No further paid tuition (for us), but be aware that the preps have a significant chunk of business from parents whose kids don't do as well as hoped for on KE, and then go h*ll for leather to get their kids into KEHS / KES / EHS etc as comps are simply not an option for them.
2) Have a look at the Manchester Boys Grammar website, past entrance papers, particularly the comprehension exercises. They are materially harder and different in approach to CEM type tests. Our guides at KEHS turned down places at CHG and they made it clear that KEHS test was harder, much harder
3) Look carefully at how good your DD is at showing her working neatly, when she does these questions. My understanding is that for these exams the correct answer is not necessarily the be all and end all, in the same way that it is for CEM. You will likely get credit for how you got the answer as well as the correct answer. bsically does she know how to show workings correctly
4) Brush up on creative writing
5) Brush up on inference. Kids at this age often struggle with ambiguity in text and their ability to make a decision and then support that decision, with supporting arguments, can be weak. This may well be a distinguishing factor.
6) It is significantly harder to to give synonyms for say prosperous from scratch, than the reverse CEM scenario of saying which of the four following words Poor, Threshold, Rich, Lively is closest in meaning to prosperous. You just don't have the same elimination strategies, so its a different challenge. Well worth finding suitable material and practising.
7) We are thinking carefully about the opportunity cost. Firstly we have had enough of 11+ for the time being and need a break, so if DD wants to do KEHS we will support, but any work has to be initiated and driven entirely by her (hopefully a good thing).
8) More importantly perhaps, our DD2 takes the test in 2017 and she is significantly behind where DD1 was at the same stage. As we have a grammar of some shape or form in the bag, hopefully our 1st choice pref, we are shifting to catch up core skills, for DD1.
9) Tap up your DD teacher now. A strongly supportive reference from the school, may be helpful. Hopefully she has a strong year 5 school report, handy.
10) Don't be afraid to stop. In your situation I personally would not, but if I had, had two results below average outcome, I would consider my position (your borderline, so personally I think keep going). I know friends who have called it a day on KEHS for Jan, just being realistic even if it is a hard thing to do. It just allows you to move on, and fight the battle for the best alternative comp for your DD
11) Get her reading aloud as part of a show or something at home. The preps have elocution lessons and public speaking competitions, so some of these young kids have confident speaking and reading aloud skills, way ahead of their contemporaries in state schools. (It's all a stitch up, but no point in moaning, this is the uneven playing field we have to try succeed upon)

I am stepping back from posting, but responded as we have rapidly decided to continue to KEHS exams. Do PM me if you want or just to let me know how your getting on, it would be great to compare notes and progress from time to time.

Hope this helps

PP


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: KEHS exam suppprt.
PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2015 9:46 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Oct 07, 2015 10:13 pm
Posts: 69
Petitpois wrote:
Hi Casey were over the line for our first choice KE Handsworth Girls, which we are thrilled with, if we get it confirmed. With solid 100% fall back for WGHS, Sutton and QMHS. It was nice this morning to see the 5 grammars and 1 fall back comp on the provisional preference list.

We have decided to carry on and do the KEHS exam in Jan. From what we know here is what our next steps will be looking like.

1) No further paid tuition (for us), but be aware that the preps have a significant chunk of business from parents whose kids don't do as well as hoped for on KE, and then go h*ll for leather to get their kids into KEHS / KES / EHS etc as comps are simply not an option for them.
2) Have a look at the Manchester Boys Grammar website, past entrance papers, particularly the comprehension exercises. They are materially harder and different in approach to CEM type tests. Our guides at KEHS turned down places at CHG and they made it clear that KEHS test was harder, much harder
3) Look carefully at how good your DD is at showing her working neatly, when she does these questions. My understanding is that for these exams the correct answer is not necessarily the be all and end all, in the same way that it is for CEM. You will likely get credit for how you got the answer as well as the correct answer. bsically does she know how to show workings correctly
4) Brush up on creative writing
5) Brush up on inference. Kids at this age often struggle with ambiguity in text and their ability to make a decision and then support that decision, with supporting arguments, can be weak. This may well be a distinguishing factor.
6) It is significantly harder to to give synonyms for say prosperous from scratch, than the reverse CEM scenario of saying which of the four following words Poor, Threshold, Rich, Lively is closest in meaning to prosperous. You just don't have the same elimination strategies, so its a different challenge. Well worth finding suitable material and practising.
7) We are thinking carefully about the opportunity cost. Firstly we have had enough of 11+ for the time being and need a break, so if DD wants to do KEHS we will support, but any work has to be initiated and driven entirely by her (hopefully a good thing).
8) More importantly perhaps, our DD2 takes the test in 2017 and she is significantly behind where DD1 was at the same stage. As we have a grammar of some shape or form in the bag, hopefully our 1st choice pref, we are shifting to catch up core skills, for DD1.
9) Tap up your DD teacher now. A strongly supportive reference from the school, may be helpful. Hopefully she has a strong year 5 school report, handy.
10) Don't be afraid to stop. In your situation I personally would not, but if I had, had two results below average outcome, I would consider my position (your borderline, so personally I think keep going). I know friends who have called it a day on KEHS for Jan, just being realistic even if it is a hard thing to do. It just allows you to move on, and fight the battle for the best alternative comp for your DD

I am stepping back from posting, but responded as we have rapidly decided to continue to KEHS exams. Do PM me if you want or just to let me know how your getting on, it would be great to compare notes and progress from time to time.

Hope this helps

PP


Thanks so much PP this is a really helpful post. She still stands a good chance with 3 of the grammars - fingers crossed! If not, the staff at KEHS were really helpful and suggested that it could be a really viable for my DD.

Do they always request a reference from their primary? Ours has been really below par and consequently I have had to complain - a lot! I'm definitely not their fave person!

Big well done to your DD - hope you're celebrating this weekend X


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: KEHS exam suppprt.
PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2015 9:58 am 
Offline

Joined: Fri Sep 15, 2006 8:51 am
Posts: 8113
Casey0507 wrote:



Do they always request a reference from their primary? Ours has been really below par and consequently I have had to complain - a lot! I'm definitely not their fave person!

Big well done to your DD - hope you're celebrating this weekend X


Don't know if they ask for reference each time but don't worry KEHS have decades of experience in assessing kids and sussing out schools. They will trust their own assessment


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: KEHS exam suppprt.
PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2015 10:03 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Oct 07, 2015 10:13 pm
Posts: 69
hermanmunster wrote:
Casey0507 wrote:



Do they always request a reference from their primary? Ours has been really below par and consequently I have had to complain - a lot! I'm definitely not their fave person!

Big well done to your DD - hope you're celebrating this weekend X


Don't know if they ask for reference each time but don't worry KEHS have decades of experience in assessing kids and sussing out schools. They will trust their own assessment


DD has had an never-ending supply of supple teachers all the way through her junior school. This year, however, she has been given a fantastic teacher and I am hopeful that she will do her no end of good - also hoping she doesn't leave! Perhaps she could do a reference if they need one. X


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: KEHS exam support.
PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2015 10:20 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu Jul 02, 2015 6:44 am
Posts: 1425
Casey - it important to have a good relationship with the teachers, but I have never stepped back from giving em a piece of my mind when I have felt it necessary.

That said they are professionals (usually) and in my experience they will see the child first and and make an objective judgement of the child, even if they think the parent is a s***. I think this would be even more likely to be the case when providing a reference a third party school.

Remember in some schools, they will have mothers bashing each other up in the play ground fighting over rights to boyfriends, who may have two separate siblings at the same school if you follow me. So they have to deal with all comers. Being a normal concerned parent is not going to go against you.

I sometimes think the teachers despise me personally, but DD1 and 2 have always had excellent reports. DD1 just has the additional maturity advantage that comes from being No1 in the nest.

I suggest re reading the reports and looking for whatever it is that makes you think its below par and seeing if you can guide DD to have an action plan to address. Then tell the teacher as soon as possible (arrange a meeting), that in the past DD was doing this, and we doing this till Xmas l with the hope of achieving this outcome.

Teachers love it when parents take positive and clear interventions that basically support them in what they have to do. (teachers take note the reverse also applies). Think of 80/20 rules. What can I change with the least effort that has the biggest impact.

1) get to school on time 100%
2) Do homework 100%
3) Never drop a day from school this year
4) Listening skills
5) some kind of sport clubs quick win medal at something always catches the eye.

I have seen your thread re KEHG, keep going with that . Even if a place of the waiting list a week before term, thats a result, plus look like your fine for the others.

All the best


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: KEHS exam suppprt.
PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2015 10:25 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu Jul 02, 2015 6:44 am
Posts: 1425
If you look at a school's spend on supply teachers it is a very strong indicator of failure.

Kids usually get little done with them, on the one day they are there, and some of them are absolutely horrendous.

Great news on having a steady teacher this year, work em hard!!

PP


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: KEHS exam suppprt.
PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2015 10:40 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat Nov 01, 2014 7:51 am
Posts: 113
Love reading your posts Petitpois! Lots of very useful info. I have another DC to prepare for next year so I'm finding this all very helpful.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: KEHS exam suppprt.
PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2015 12:10 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Oct 16, 2015 7:54 am
Posts: 65
This post is really helpful as we are at borderline with our dd and will go for Kehs exams in January .
It will be really nice if we can share how we get our dc's prepared for the exam.
:D


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: KEHS exam suppprt.
PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2015 1:45 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Oct 08, 2014 9:10 am
Posts: 104
Our daughter is in year 7 at KEHS on an assisted place. She got 218 in the grammar school exams with no tutoring but we did work at home with her over the summer. We were very happy with Sutton but decided to do KEHS anyway as we loved the school and it was nearer. Despite our best intentions we did no work after the 11plus except looking at one Manchester Grammar paper the week before the exam, so I really wouldn't go overboard!

The exam wasn't that hard - I think if they are good at maths and can write creatively, that's what they're looking for. They also observe them on the two exam days. As for the prep schools - again don't worry. Unlike the 11plus it's an individualised process and they consider what school a girl has come from. In our case the school had been in special measures for two years, high % free school meals etc and I wonder if that actually helped!

Also if you are looking for an assisted place you are effectively competing against others who are in the same position - they are unlikely to be at prep schools. So all in all I would say - don't worry too much. If your daughter is aiming for level 6 in maths she will be pushed at school these next few months anyway. KEHS say that they can tell who's been tutored and they know what they're looking for. Just keep it relaxed and give it a go.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: helen0209 and 6 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
CALL 020 8204 5060
   
Privacy Policy | Refund Policy | Disclaimer | Copyright © 2004 – 2016