Moderators - What are the scores suggesting?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
nervousmom

Re: Moderators - What are the scores suggesting?

Post by nervousmom »

I was speaking to FO this morning.

Lady I spoke to said scores are very similar across the board to last year and they don't really see a huge difference in cut off scores.

Will probably be offering over PAN again on offers day.
um

Post by um »

For those dc whose scores were lower than expected, that could have been due to issues with shading correctly on the separate answer sheet.

I know of two very able dc who had answer sheet issues unfortunately. I am sure there may be more out there.

As for the original query - that's only something that I (or anyone else) could answer if we had a list of every single score attained, and full information about the children's school preferences too.

Fortunately in Birmingham there are 6 choices on our form so to be fair parents do have space to put down a few schools - just ensure (unless you're happy to pay for Indie) that the 6th choice at least is a school which you know your child will gain entry to .
For Worcs, parents have much more of a dilemma because unfortunately there are only 3.
Petitpois

Post by Petitpois »

nervousmom wrote:I was speaking to FO this morning.

Lady I spoke to said scores are very similar across the board to last year and they don't really see a huge difference in cut off scores.
Brilliant news. Will sleep better between now and March. My Little Pony on way to lady at the FO
shakey

Post by shakey »

Surely music to the ears for those on the borderline?
Possible drop in cut offs if offering over pan? Wonder why they might be doing that again?
worldcup14

Post by worldcup14 »

How many ways can you say no great change in numbers no great change in cut off scores. It will now be down to more minor things like number of applicants to each school, number of offers over PAN compared to last year. Offers over PAN will reduce offers from waiting list so its swings and roundabouts. Better on offer day though! However, all things considered very little change.
nervousmom

Post by nervousmom »

shakey wrote:

Possible drop in cut offs if offering over pan? Wonder why they might be doing that again?

They were unsure of the PP effect (no petitpois I don't mean you!)

However, by offering PAN last year it created a lot of extra work for the FO.
tiredmama

Post by tiredmama »

I am surprised to hear that they offer over PAN, what if they end up with 'more takers than seats available' ? I dread to think they then have to communicate to someone the dreadful news that the offer was made in error :oops:
"To show me is far better than to lecture everyday.
To lead me is far greater than to just point out the way.
So if you tell me everything then I shall understand,
But rapid streams of words cannot compete with deed of hand[...]"
Petitpois

Post by Petitpois »

nervousmom wrote:
shakey wrote:

They were unsure of the PP effect (no petitpois I don't mean you!)

However, by offering PAN last year it created a lot of extra work for the FO.
Do we have any numbers on pp uptake by school. I know they were under and it will grow this year. That is the one reason I can see an uptick in PP numbers, causing some standard applicants to be displaced. That said scores rose last year
nervousmom

Post by nervousmom »

tiredmama wrote:

I am surprised to hear that they offer over PAN, what if they end up with 'more takers than seats available' ? I dread to think they then have to communicate to someone the dreadful news that the offer was made in error :oops:
This would be unlikely. They know from years of experience that a certain % of places are turned town.

If per chance they did up with more takers, I would assume the offers would stand and space made accordingly.

If you look at the waiting lists for this year, CHB made 43 offers, almost 50% and FW 58 offers, approx 40%. So offering say 20 over PAN is a fairly safe bet.
thirdtimemum

Post by thirdtimemum »

I went to bv open morning today and the head says he doesn't expect any surprises this year having seen the scores. He couldn't guarantee but confirmed that our 222 was safe score for there even though last year they offered an extra 30 places and scores went up 2 points to 219.
Just feels a little more reassuring to hear the head say it.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now