Travel 10+ miles single journey to a GS or no?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

worldcup14

Re: Travel 10+ miles single journey to a GS or no?

Post by worldcup14 »

Everything tells me to let it go...but I can't! What does the comment about FW not feeling like a middle-class grammer school mean?? Firstly grammer schools are not supposed to be middle class by nature (even though they are) and secondly is it the children at FW, the parents,the location, the curriculum, the staff,the facilities or something else I obviously missed. Is there anything the school can do to address this? Which schools do feel middle class? Interesting that such comments do not garner the same response as those about the ethnicity of the children. Equally maybe this is why parents and children like the school and why it seems so popular. Finally the children and parents I meet seem very middle class, whatever that means. Please read this in the spirit it was written
Petitpois

Post by Petitpois »

Perhaps if I equate grammars to cuttlefish. Each year as they change their selection criteria, is synonymous with a change in the pattern and luminosity of the fishes camouflage. But ultimately it is still a cuttle fish.

Its all a front sucking us punters in year after year.
quasimodo

Post by quasimodo »

worldcup14 wrote:Everything tells me to let it go...but I can't! What does the comment about FW not feeling like a middle-class grammer school mean?? Firstly grammer schools are not supposed to be middle class by nature (even though they are) and secondly is it the children at FW, the parents,the location, the curriculum, the staff,the facilities or something else I obviously missed. Is there anything the school can do to address this? Which schools do feel middle class? Interesting that such comments do not garner the same response as those about the ethnicity of the children. Equally maybe this is why parents and children like the school and why it seems so popular. Finally the children and parents I meet seem very middle class, whatever that means. Please read this in the spirit it was written
Please don't shoot the messenger! A colleague at work whose eldest son was at FW for 2 years before leaving for an independent school at 13 three years ago made the comment she was not happy about the discipline and behaviour of the pupils at FW hence when choosing a school for her youngest son has opted for CHB after scoring 250+ and he will be there for 2 years unless he can successfully follow his elder brothers footsteps.
In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years.

Abraham Lincoln
DGM

Post by DGM »

Tiredmama. For what it's worth, we knew many children who went the route Tudor Grange - Solihull Sixth Form College - top universities - great jobs.
worldcup14

Post by worldcup14 »

I would never shoot the messenger. I just don't understand the connection to my post. Middle class offspring behave badly, well there's a surprise. I see CHB children everyday in Kings Heath and on the bus and their behaviour and language at times leaves a lot to be desired. Last year there was talk on here of fighting on the green bus to, I think, Aston. Certainly no better than the local comp kids. Big deal. I was questioning the description of FW as not feeling like a middle class grammer school not whether the children behaved well. I hear little about poor behaviour. I also think it's unfair to single FW out in this respect and good disciplne is after all in the eye of the beholder. Ask those beaten and abused at some of England's top private schools in the past. As always impressed you have a personal example to back up the point you are making.
tiredmama

Post by tiredmama »

Majority of responses here + my heart are swaying me towards TG. Hubby is all for GS any GS really, just because it is no other valid reasons :( . So I keep changing my mind every day ... gosh... what do I do ...

Does anyone have daughters at FW or friends whose daughters go there? Are they happy? I hear FW has a lot more boys than girls, I do worry about her making friends, friendships and social life become quite important factors when they start secondary.
"To show me is far better than to lecture everyday.
To lead me is far greater than to just point out the way.
So if you tell me everything then I shall understand,
But rapid streams of words cannot compete with deed of hand[...]"
Petitpois

Post by Petitpois »

worldcup14 wrote: I was questioning the description of FW as not feeling like a middle class grammer.
World cup as I said its a highly personal perception from me. Would you say Eton or Harrow are pretty much the same thing as KEFW? How would you justifiably be able to draw a distinction between them if one could. A distinction can surely be made, can it not?

Ultimately an opinion is a varying combination of fact and subjective value attribution. I have two cars, but Car A is a better than Car B because (......).

Deep down it seems to me that we (people) want everything to be valued, but we then struggle to reconcile that with choosing and our choices we thereby inherently reveal our true motives
worldcup14

Post by worldcup14 »

I know two girls at FW and both are very happy. Based on what I hear the lower numbers in year 7 seems to bond the girls and they have male friends too. Do not get impression it's an issue for most girls. Despite being in minority there are still circa 50 + girls in year 7. Hope that helps. As you can probably tell we are happy with the school.
worldcup14

Post by worldcup14 »

Eton and Harrow are not the same as FW because of the fees. I think destinctions need to be based on something. FW has more pupils than CHB. FW takes boys and girls. FW has a semi rural location. CHB exam results are statistically better. More white children attend FW. Destinctions are easy and help decision making. I personally dislike single sex schools so......easy choice.
JaneEyre

Post by JaneEyre »

worldcup14 wrote: I see CHB children everyday in Kings Heath and on the bus and their behaviour and language at times leaves a lot to be desired.
A school can never 'erase' the education given at home, or not given in this instance... In my DS class, there was a boy who use the F. word quite a lot! When hearing him swearing, one of his teacher used to tell him to do a certain amount of push ups!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Excellent solution if you ask me.... and maybe this boy will become the future actor playing James Bond? :wink:
Last edited by JaneEyre on Mon Oct 26, 2015 11:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now