Handsworth Grammar help please

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Beyond.beyond

Re: Handsworth Grammar help please

Post by Beyond.beyond »

Happy to hear that guys had good experience today. I went to BV open morning and am mightily impressed. (May be I am impressed easily :D ).
Very nice to hear positive responses. Just goes to say that one must visit the school to see how it is. Rather than taking ideas from others as everyone is different.
happydays1

Post by happydays1 »

Queensimster wrote:
happydays1 wrote:
helen0209 wrote:I believe KEA you have to travel to the sports facilities as well?
I will ask that question tomorrow and see what I can find out as I believe they have a new astro turf if you go November and want company let me know I may join you for a second look if I need to

Just to add HGS has their playing fields off site but the boys are taken there in a mini bus and its 5 minutes down the road. There are also quite a few children who commute from Great Barr to HGS utilising the 16 and the 101 buses.
Thanks for the info we were really pleased when we looked round and I felt the only down side would be no green bus. As you have mentioned the other buses that are not to far away, I'm sure if he does gain a place then once he is settled and made a friend he will be confident enough to jump on the bus.
happydays1

Post by happydays1 »

Beyond.beyond wrote:Happy to hear that guys had good experience today. I went to BV open morning and am mightily impressed. (May be I am impressed easily :D ).
Very nice to hear positive responses. Just goes to say that one must visit the school to see how it is. Rather than taking ideas from others as everyone is different.
Interested to hear how your tour went today especially as you have done more than 1 this week and might have good view
Beyond.beyond

Post by Beyond.beyond »

I have to say I was disppointed. I might get attacked here but hear me out. I went to BV and it was very nice. Kids were sharply dressed, spoken confidently, head master and other helpers were very tiptop. Unfortunately, it was not the case here. Kids looked sloppy. I found them pretty meh. The guy who was showing us the place was very rushed himself. The school itself is not huge. I found it over a bit unkept and small. just to be clear, the ethnic majority of the student was a bit overwhelming. Funny thing is I am brown myself :D
Petitpois

Post by Petitpois »

Beyond.beyond wrote: I found it over a bit unkempt and small. just to be clear, the ethnic majority of the student was a bit overwhelming.
ABJ will be stalking you. He has a point. Plenty of parents from KEA / BV / CHB / KEFW could easily send their kids there, but they don't.

But I think the much much more likely factor is that they are boys. Handsworth girls is away from the main drag, where as HGS is right bang in the middle.
Harder to get you head round it
Petitpois

Post by Petitpois »

Beyond.beyond wrote: I found it over a bit unkempt and small. just to be clear, the ethnic majority of the student was a bit overwhelming.
ABJ will be stalking you. He has a point. Plenty of parents from KEA / BV / CHB / KEFW could easily send their kids there, but they don't.

But I think the much much more likely factor is that they are boys. Handsworth girls is away from the main drag, where as HGS is right bang in the middle.
Beyond.beyond

Post by Beyond.beyond »

Yes, I agree. I think I am pretty shallow as it is difficult to compare the poshness of Sutton to the one in Handsworth.
happydays1

Post by happydays1 »

Petitpois wrote:

I think it also makes it harder the fact that the school hours are shorter and they finish at 255pm now I know that's probably a bonus for some but it makes it difficult if you are picking them up from school. take into consideration traffic being heavy or bad weather and they could be stood waiting a while because its in the heart of Handsworth.
happydays1

Post by happydays1 »

Beyond.beyond wrote:I have to say I was disppointed. I might get attacked here but hear me out. I went to BV and it was very nice. Kids were sharply dressed, spoken confidently, head master and other helpers were very tiptop. Unfortunately, it was not the case here. Kids looked sloppy. I found them pretty meh. The guy who was showing us the place was very rushed himself. The school itself is not huge. I found it over a bit unkept and small. just to be clear, the ethnic majority of the student was a bit overwhelming. Funny thing is I am brown myself :D
Oh ok we didn't see many kids if I am honest they were all in the classrooms and we only saw a few doing PE outside. I suppose when you look at them one after the other you can compare them better. So I doubt it will be on your list then
helen0209

Post by helen0209 »

Hi, yes the school day finishes at 14:55 because they only have a 35 minute lunch. In one of my previous posts I did mention that the library is open until 16:00 and there are after school clubs, so your DS wouldn't have to stand out in the rain, they can make a start on their homework.
On the visit the pupils were in the classroom, but a grammar school uniform looks smart regardless. If all the white kids on the trip I was on got into the school we would double their 5 overnight. Does it really matter anyway? My DS has grown up in Birmingham, a multi-cultural city, and sees no difference in making friends with someone who is brown, white, black, or anything else.
I agree BV is a fantastic school, is my DS's first choice and is the closest GS to us. Unfortunately I don't think his score will get him in, so we have to look at alternatives. If it is a choice of HG and John Wilmott I know where he would be going. If you are fortunate enough to have a choice then go with your favourite.