ridiculous dilemma

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Dadybear

Re: ridiculous dilemma

Post by Dadybear »

Firsttimemum wrote:We have bv first and Aston second... Just in case scores change, but then we have struggled to use our 6 options. We love bv and it has always been first on our list whatever score DS achieved. We too removed HGS as we really didn't like it. Staff we met were very uninspiring and it wasn't very sporty. If you would be disappointed with kea then don't put it on or do what we did and put it further down the list. We also put QMGS on the list even though we probably won't get it.
I am surprised to see that bv got less applications last year. Especially as it provided an extra 30 places and the cut off was raised by 2 marks
I went on this journey for my dc education :D
If your looking for sporty try sandwell academy :lol:
Turtlegirl

Post by Turtlegirl »

Sandwell Academy has a strange admissions policy: 30 children for each of the six Sandwell towns, put into five ability bands, with catchment measured from the geographic centre of each town. Plus twenty sports places. I've only known a couple of kids get sports places and they were very very good at sports- one a junior England tennis player. Worth a go but be realistic about a place!
booellesmum

Post by booellesmum »

Dadybear wrote:
Firsttimemum wrote:We have bv first and Aston second... Just in case scores change, but then we have struggled to use our 6 options. We love bv and it has always been first on our list whatever score DS achieved. We too removed HGS as we really didn't like it. Staff we met were very uninspiring and it wasn't very sporty. If you would be disappointed with kea then don't put it on or do what we did and put it further down the list. We also put QMGS on the list even though we probably won't get it.
I am surprised to see that bv got less applications last year. Especially as it provided an extra 30 places and the cut off was raised by 2 marks
I went on this journey for my dc education :D
If your looking for sporty try sandwell academy :lol:
We look for all sorts of things for our children. There is more to life than just academia. Being interested in sport or music makes them a more rounded individual - and looks good on application forms later!
Children should not have to give up an area of interest just because they are smart enough to get into Grammar.
thirdtimemum

Post by thirdtimemum »

Thanks booellesmum, exactly my thoughts. I wouldn't say my DS is "gifted" in sports but enjoys most sports and is good at what he tries. We live too far away from any of Sandwell academy's catchment areas but it is one that we considered, amongst many others. DS visited BV at the beginning of our journey and decided he wanted to take the 11+ as he wanted to go to that particular school. As a family we could see how the extra curricular activities were perfect for DS. The fact it is a grammar school is a bonus. We didn't entertain the idea of camp hill or five ways due to distance. We made the choice that a local comprehensive was s better school for DS than HG as he preferred the sports side of it. I am not a grammar snob and prefer my son to have a good education whichever school he goes to AND enjoy the sporting opportunities it provides.
I like the ethos set by the headmaster "My hope for all our students is that they enjoy making the most of the inspiring and excellent academic and social opportunities that the Vesey Experience offers them." Academic success is not the be all and end all of life.
Throughout this journey I have seen many children miss out on being a child as the parents believe they need to be constantly studying. Our tutor had recommended that DS should give up some of his activities to which I refused. My thought were , and still are, that children need to be children and well rounded in all areas of life.
booellesmum

Post by booellesmum »

I couldn't agree with you more. I think you have made a great choice. My DH went to BV and my girls have cousins that go there. It is a great school.
In year 7 and 8 they also have joint discos with Sutton Girls'.
thirdtimemum

Post by thirdtimemum »

That was another reason I liked it...oh and curry evening for year 7 parents too lol.