Birmingham Grammars should be only for Birmingham children

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
equation

Re: Birmingham Grammars should be only for Birmingham childr

Post by equation »

I swear Ironman1/Zulky/ABJ is one and the same......

Sour grapes anyone???? :lol:
Petitpois

Post by Petitpois »

Ironman1 wrote:
ABJ wrote:..
If they love our grammar ( mind it they don't like certain area and pupil here) so much why don't ask their council to develop their local school to grammar's standard..

I hope authorities will sort this problem nearer in future!!

Well said ABJ, if you don't like our people don't bother coming to our schools which we fund. Well done ABJ!!!
As Herman said vast majority comes from central government. In excess of £50,000,000,000. Yep that is £1m times 50,000 every single year for schools in the country. Many times more than Birmingham city council would have in come.

ABJ are you one of the three musketeers then
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

I think the Greenwich Judgement would rightly prevent using an LA area as a specific catchment. This is taken from: https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... Issues.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Using an LA boundary to define a catchment area
22. The whole of the home LA area should not be used as a catchment. There is case law – known as the Greenwich Judgement – that states that pupils should not be treated less favourably in admissions just because they live outside the home local authority. In practice, this means that a catchment area or areas that align with the home local authority’s boundary and lead to those living within the LA having higher priority for admission than those living outside, would be likely to breach the Greenwich Judgement.
shakey

Post by shakey »

Petitpois wrote:
Ironman1 wrote:
ABJ wrote:..
If they love our grammar ( mind it they don't like certain area and pupil here) so much why don't ask their council to develop their local school to grammar's standard..

Well said ABJ, if you don't like our people don't bother coming to our schools which we fund. Well done ABJ!!!
As Herman said vast majority comes from central government. In excess of £50,000,000,000. Yep that is £1m times 50,000 every single year for schools in the country. Many times more than Birmingham city council would have in come.

ABJ are you one of the three musketeers then
My money's on Aramis
Petitpois

Post by Petitpois »

:lol: aramis
ABJ

Post by ABJ »

equation wrote:I swear Ironman1/Zulky/ABJ is one and the same......

My grapes are sour or no I am sure I can make wine out of it but if your grapes are sweet now what's the guarantee they will not turn sour in future !!!

Rather than looking at grapes of others keep an eye on yours !!!
ABJ

Post by ABJ »

Ironman1 wrote:
ABJ wrote:I had a strong discussion regarding this today with some civic members of the society .
Since the Birmingham grammars were originally set up for under privileged children in the town and even today they are funded by Birmingham LA which means residents of Birmingham pay for these schools by paying council tax while most of the places in these schools are taken by the children living outskirts and from more affluential councils who has no contribution to Birmingham LA..
Is this fair ?
What about the child who lives in Birmingham ?
State schools are not so great and chances of him getting into his local grammar are very slim because they are taken by some one who comes under Warwickshire or Solihull council and has done his primary from prep school ..

Absolutely !! edited by moderatoraround who will raise their eyebrows at Birmingham and the people around here but when it comes to grammar school they want to send their children here
thirdtimemum

Post by thirdtimemum »

So Birmingham has 7 grammar schools and sandwell has none... Yes that's fair! I work in Birmingham and live in Birmingham yet happen to be the wrong side of the road so pay council tax to sandwell. I used to live in streetly and pay council tax to Walsall and live in Walsall but pay council tax to sandwell... I've put down 3 LA areas down on my CAF as all are within 2 miles of my house.
I personally think there should be some sort of catchment area but not restricted to Birmingham at all. If you go down that route do you then start saying if you pay less council tax you are not entitled to a full education. How about those people who don't have a British passport???
worldcup14

Post by worldcup14 »

Perhaps the real question is whether state funding should go to elitist establishments who judge children on a random test on a random day in September.....also maybe all posters are the same person and there is actually only one person on this forum and they work at the FO. I've already owned up to being rabbie burns from last year.
equation

Post by equation »

ABJ wrote:
equation wrote:I swear Ironman1/Zulky/ABJ is one and the same......

My grapes are sour or no I am sure I can make wine out of it but if your grapes are sweet now what's the guarantee they will not turn sour in future !!!

Rather than looking at grapes of others keep an eye on yours !!!
Keep up the good work - it's nice that you can liven up the place till the long wait to March.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now