Re: Urtgent help!!!Travel Birmingham Hall Green to Walsall

Post by Petitpois »

Green Girl you are a scholar and Lady.

I have just worked out the fastest routes and times for

QMHS
WGHS
KEVIHS
KECHG

Brilliant little tool. Minimum 1 hour by bus or train, there from where I live, but at least I have the detailed info at my finger tips
Green Girl

Post by Green Girl »

Petitpois wrote:Green Girl you are a scholar and Lady.

I have just worked out the fastest routes and times for

QMHS
WGHS
KEVIHS
KECHG

Brilliant little tool. Minimum 1 hour by bus or train, there from where I live, but at least I have the detailed info at my finger tips
Happy to help. You sometimes need to manipulate it a bit to get particular options to come up but it's always my first point of call and the journey times are pretty realistic in my experience. Includes the Green Bus too.
um

Post by um »

I was aware a few years ago of car sharing taking place from Hall Green to QMGS.

I don't have specific details but a group of boys were definitely going.

It may be worth asking the school for contacts?
WindowGlass

Post by WindowGlass »

BV is pretty accessible and well served by train

For QMB is it the 51 bus that goes closest to the school out on Birmingham Road?

Personally,we've found 1 hour max commute doable - but the transport links need to join up well, for after-school clubs too. DC might be keen now, but have they made the journey day in, day out, in the cold, dark winter rain - waiting at a bus stop, after a rugby match/detention/club, carrying books/kit/instrument?

Not to put you off, but looking back at past posts over the years, many others have advised similarly.

On a different tack - there's a recent thread on here asking about a possible Orpington Kent to Barnet commute - which sounds horrendous! This is NOT London though!
quasimodo

Post by quasimodo »

WindowGlass wrote:For QMB is it the 51 bus that goes closest to the school out on Birmingham Road?
It is the 51 service you could use getting off past the island on six ways and taking the very short 5 minute walk. This is however a longer journey you would take the faster 51X and cuts out many of the bus stops.This is obviously from Birmingham to Walsall.The service runs extremely frequently. You will know better the service from Hall Green to Birmingham.
In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years.

Abraham Lincoln
salmom

Post by salmom »

Thanks Green girl, Um and all you dear parents who have responded. Your advice is invaluable and indeed so many things to consider both positive and negative. indeed speaking to the school might help but I'm running out of time for LEA form . it will be good to know how DCs that are generally taking the long journey are coping? is it worth it/affecting them? I didn't think of the extra curricular activities!! Thanks for the helpful tool!
Thanks
rimjhimm100

Post by rimjhimm100 »

Among other things it also depends how much you/child like the school. Currently, it takes us 40-45 minutes each way to get to our school and DS doesn't bat an eyelid as he's used to it.

We had a major dilemma regarding CHB or KES as you may have seen some posts. After long deliberation we have decided on an hour of travel for KES but that's because one we are used to the hour at time and two he (& we) really wants to go there.

I think it's personal as well, you will find that some parent's are absolutely sure that they don't want to add travel time on to an already busy day for their child. Could be it doesn't suit them or child cannot cope with long journeys.

Our decision was arrived at also with the help of all the advice and support of the lovely people on here!
Last edited by rimjhimm100 on Wed Oct 28, 2015 11:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nervousmom

Post by nervousmom »

Glad you've made a decision. I'm sure your son will be very happy at KES.

I'm not sure where in Solihull you are, but another option is the train. I know the train through Solihull doesn't go to Stratford, but if you weren't too far from Shirley train station you could drop him there, or he could get the bus from Solihull to Shirley. Journey is approx 30 mins with a 5-10 minute walk he other end.

I believe a number if KES and Shottery kids get the train.
Green Girl

Post by Green Girl »

salmom wrote:Thanks Green girl, Um and all you dear parents who have responded. Your advice is invaluable and indeed so many things to consider both positive and negative. indeed speaking to the school might help but I'm running out of time for LEA form . it will be good to know how DCs that are generally taking the long journey are coping? is it worth it/affecting them? I didn't think of the extra curricular activities!! Thanks for the helpful tool!
My oldest daughter's journey is 45/50 mins door to door on the way there and 50/55 on the way back. She manages this ok but I have to say I wouldn't consider much more than that. She gets quite a lot of homework and has clubs outside of school that she likes to go to and a longer journey would impact on that. When we were looking at schools for my other daughter this year we decided to rule out any journeys that would take over an hour. I appreciate that different families make different decisions but that's our experience.
rimjhimm100

Post by rimjhimm100 »

nervousmom wrote:Glad you've made a decision. I'm sure your son will be very happy at KES.

I'm not sure where in Solihull you are, but another option is the train. I know the train through Solihull doesn't go to Stratford, but if you weren't too far from Shirley train station you could drop him there, or he could get the bus from Solihull to Shirley. Journey is approx 30 mins with a 5-10 minute walk he other end.

I believe a number if KES and Shottery kids get the train.
Thank you nervousmom, we looked into the train option too - Shirley to Stratford. He could actually hop on at Hall Green but that then adds on to the journey time. For the 1st year I think he will prefer Johnsons bus service but once he is familiar with things and makes friends, train will be a good option. We are in Olton.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now