Grammar school selection

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Sid0801

Grammar school selection

Post by Sid0801 »

Firstly, thank you for the many posts and advice on this forum. I have been an avid reader but not posted anything as most of my questions have been answered by reading through the conversations - thank you for that! I do, however, now have a specific request relating to my son and would appreciate advice. MY DS scored 228 and we are unsure which school to opt for. He would like to attend Fiveways so do we select Camphill (on the very outside chance that he may sneak in) then five ways then Aston/Handsworth but we are worried that he may miss out on Fiveways if it isn't selected as his first choice. We live in Moseley.

Kind Regards
Last edited by Sid0801 on Wed Oct 28, 2015 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Green Girl

Re: Grammar school selection

Post by Green Girl »

If you select Camphill first it won't impact on your chance of getting FiveWays. If 228 isn't enough for Camphill but is enough for Fiveways you will be offered Fiveways and put on the waiting list for Camphill. It won't make any difference that you placed it second rather than first - for the grammars its the number of points that is important. Similarly if 228 isn't enough for Camphill or Fiveways you will be offered one of your lower choices and put on the waiting list for both Fiveways and Camphill. And so on. Just make sure you've got something on your list, either one of the other grammars and/or a local comp, where you are v likely to get a place. This safe choice can be right down at number 6, as long as it is on there. Hope that makes sense.
Sid0801

Post by Sid0801 »

Thanks Green Girl. To clarify if 2 students have the same score with one putting Fiveways as first choice and the other as second choice there would be no preference to the student that listed it as first choice? We are aware that 9 children have the same ranking.

Kind Regards
Green Girl

Post by Green Girl »

No it would come down to distance from the school - see here
http://fwgs.kefw.org/Documents/FWS%20Ad ... t%2015.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
booellesmum

Post by booellesmum »

Sid0801 wrote:Firstly, thank you for the many posts and advice on this forum. I have been an avid reader but not posted anything as most of my questions have been answered by reading through the conversations - thank you for that! I do, however, now have a specific request relating to my son and would appreciate advice. MY DS scored 228 and we are unsure which school to opt for. He would like to attend Fiveways so do we select Camphill (on the very outside chance that he may sneak in) then five ways then Aston/Handsworth but we are worried that he may miss out on Fiveways if it isn't selected as his first choice. We live in Moseley.

Kind Regards
You need to put the school you really want first.
If you put Camp Hill first, and get it, then Five Ways will not be an option - you will lose it as you got your first choice.
If you want Five Ways put it first.
If you want Camp Hill really put that first - if you don't get it then Five Ways will become your first choice.
Green Girl

Post by Green Girl »

This may help reassure you as well:
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/school ... nce-system" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Sid0801

Post by Sid0801 »

Thanks all (again!). I wish the best for all children taking that next step in their lives.
worldcup14

Post by worldcup14 »

Sid0801 I was wondering why you would put CHB down if FW is your first choice. Seems a bit strange. Or does your son want FW and you want CHB. You really should put the one you want first. You have a good chance off the waiting list for FW. Best of luck.
Sid0801

Post by Sid0801 »

Great reading between the lines worldcup 14! Truth of the matter is I'd be over the moon with FW but annoyed if DS could have sneaked into CHB as its walking distance from home. :D