11+ state schools and fairness

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
succeed

Re: 11+ state schools and fairness

Post by succeed »

As the Telegraph article above shows, it maybe better to learn to love the 'lower classes' and do something constructive about your discrimination as they are growing in number!Un less you have the means to fly off somewhere else. Personally, what most impresses me is natural intelligence and quick thinking - couldn't really care less what 'class' or colour that comes from.It is a gift which can be transformed into something quite wonderful. For teachers , it must be so much more rewarding to achieve this with a child from a lower socio economic background.I just doubt the current PP provision is likely to tap into it. Depressingly, PP could inadvertently boost the already rather dodgy tuition industry in Brum . In fact, members of this forum appears to be doing a great job promoting it. Can't think why :wink:
succeed

Post by succeed »

Sorry - stats in the report don't have context - just blurb or updates on stats , not the same thing.
noonynunu

Post by noonynunu »

Petitpois wrote:It is simple for me, get the best school, based on results
Which results, out of interest?
Petitpois

Post by Petitpois »

noonynunu wrote:
I use the school performance tables. Often at the top level there is not much to distinguish one grammar from an other. As an Example Handsworth Boys and QMGS tend to get in the 90% whereas most of the others will be at consistent 99/100%

If you need other comparators, look at the English Bacc %
Also How many outstanding Oftsed - Wolvehampton Girls - 4 successive outstanding.

Rest is subjective personal opinion, based on whatever characteristics or labels that you use to determine why one school is better than another
mad?

Post by mad? »

Petitpois wrote:
noonynunu wrote:
I use the school performance tables. Often at the top level there is not much to distinguish one grammar from an other. As an Example Handsworth Boys and QMGS tend to get in the 90% whereas most of the others will be at consistent 99/100%

If you need other comparators, look at the English Bacc %
Also How many outstanding Oftsed - Wolvehampton Girls - 4 successive outstanding.

Rest is subjective personal opinion, based on whatever characteristics or labels that you use to determine why one school is better than another
So you use GCSE results to judge a school? Surely they are largely the result of the intake?
mad?
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

Exactly, also that intake was 5 years ago, often a different management team and definitely a different curriculum. Your child will be taking their GSCEs in 2020, so the league table ranking will be very old by then.
I would hope that all selective schools have a high GSCE result, they have the top 25%
Petitpois

Post by Petitpois »

yoyo123 wrote:Exactly, also that intake was 5 years ago, often a different management team and definitely a different curriculum. Your child will be taking their GSCEs in 2020, so the league table ranking will be very old by then.
I would hope that all selective schools have a high GSCE result, they have the top 25%
mad? wrote: So you use GCSE results to judge a school? Surely they are largely the result of the intake?
So MAD? let me get this straight - you believe I am flawed in using past outcomes to predict future performance. Indeed you are right 100% in your assertion, anything could happen over the next 5 years.

Yoyo123 seems to concur strongly with your view but then immediately suggests that since grammars have the top 25% they should get "high GCSE". This 25% being determined presumably by the outcome of a 11+ test taken in the past.

I think you guys are missing the point badly.

Imagine a scenario where no prior information was available by any means and you would have to choose a school for you child?? Would you be comfortable. I think not. Indeed I would go further and suggest you both would not give up a grammar place.

I am certain that neither if you if you had a choice would send your children to a school that had achieved no GCSE's in the past five years regardless of past intake or current staff.
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

I think you are being deliberately provocative petit pois.