Camp Hill Boys or Five Ways

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Petitpois

Re: Camp Hill Boys or Five Ways

Post by Petitpois »

Amarstone wrote:That is very sad but I can't see the link between her attending Oxford and her death? Or is it because he feels she wasn't allowed to follow her heart and this became more important as her life was cut short?
They argued a lot and she had her heart set on a course at another uni. I believe Durham. He wanted Oxford, because no one in India was particularly aware of Durham, but they all knew Oxford. So he pushed down that route, and there was quite a bit of arguing., but she relented because he felt that would be the most prestige for him. So it was entirely about him being able to be proud to his relatives back home.

When she passed, he then blamed himself, along the lines of causality of events. Which is nonsense guilt. We all know about "sum over histories" etc etc and who is to really know what the impact of decisions are.

Mad comment is deliberately antagonistic because he knows full well that we have to try and balance what we do and our desires vs the needs of others and our kids in particular. The self righteousness of the point and the way it is made, presumes that he has no desires or opinions or any other influence over his kids, and that he is some how able to completely and dispassionately separate his own ambitions from those of his kids. Which he his not.

All I want for my kids is a better life than I had - does any one here want a worse life for theirs????
booellesmum

Post by booellesmum »

So sorry for your friends loss. Whatever the circumstances it is tragic to lose a child and there will always be what ifs.
Of course we all want our children to be happy, and the main thing is that they know they are loved.
Amarstone

Post by Amarstone »

Absolutely. And it was clear that pp was talking about potential opportunities rather than anything else.
KenR

Post by KenR »

I'm not sure there is that much value trying to dig too deep into the respective "A" Level and GCSE results at the 2 schools trying to find a key differentiator. The simple fact is that both schools will enable good and conscientious students to achieve excellent results. Any deviation in the stats will be down to either:-

1. How many students were not prepared to put sufficient effort into particular subjects in the 12 months before the exams.
2. How many underperforming students were persuaded to leave and not take the exams.

Also to quote from stock market analysis of successful fund managers, "historical past performance does not guarantee future success". The same is true regarding predictions of future school GCSE performances in 6 year's time!
MSD

Post by MSD »

I was having a chat with our tutor regarding CHB vs FW. She was of the opinion that majority of boys in CHB are quite serious and dedicated towards their studies and unlikely to slip from their original potential. However, the bottom 25 to 40% in FW have a general tendency to not be so serious and easily lose track. I am not entirely sure whether this is down to the quality of children entering each school or is it the actual teaching quality, ethos and life at the school.
KenR

Post by KenR »

MSD wrote:I was having a chat with our tutor regarding CHB vs FW. She was of the opinion that majority of boys in CHB are quite serious and dedicated towards their studies and unlikely to slip from their original potential. However, the bottom 25 to 40% in FW have a general tendency to not be so serious and easily lose track. I am not entirely sure whether this is down to the quality of children entering each school or is it the actual teaching quality, ethos and life at the school.
Hmm - not sure I would agree with that - based on the experience with my DS at KEFW a few years ago, it true that there were a handful of students who didn't put in the required effort but 25%-40% would be grossly exaggerated. Equally I don't think that CHB students are all 100% dedicated.
Petitpois

Post by Petitpois »

Perhaps we are just splitting hairs over pretty good schools.

If you get a grammar the overwhelming odds are you will succeed.

I get real nervy that large numbers get pushed out to maintain pretty stats. Hope not too many leave.
Sahara1

Post by Sahara1 »

I am really sorry to hear about your friend...he should not blame himself..it was her destiny and we can not stop fate.

We all want the best for our children or we would not put them through the 11 plus journey.

There are so many mix reviews about both schools...After the different post can anyone confirm when do the schools tend to ask a child to leave as I have heard that CHB seem to be the one school that will ask a child to leave if they are underperforming.

Do CBH help children first ie provide mentors ?? or extra lessons etc as I am sure majority of the boys who enter the school at year 7 would be a certain level or they would not get in as the pass mark is the highest. As I do understand some children are tutored for the exam and once they are at the school they tend to struggle...but surely with a high pass at CHB they would be at a certain IQ level.
mike1880

Post by mike1880 »

JaneEyre wrote:Moreover, this morning, my DS was at school at 7:45 to meet one of his MFL teacher, who is giving the boys a wonderful support so that they can aim high in their GCSE. Frankly, I am not sure many teachers in many schools take from their own personal time to support their pupils in such a way. :D Hats off to Mrs B.! :D :D
I am 100% with you on that, Mrs B is my hero. Unbelievably dedicated and determined.
Openminded

Post by Openminded »

Agree with Mike 1880 & Jayne Eyre. Many of the CHB staff freely give enormous amounts of time & energy to providing opportunities for academic and personal development for the boys. That, plus the impressive teaching ability of many CHB teachers, is what makes the school truly special. I'm admittedly biased, but have many years' exposure to the school.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now