Sunday Times League table top 200

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Petitpois

Re: Sunday Times League table top 200

Post by Petitpois »

KES themselves say that 54 out 104 boys scored 40 points or more at IB and they say that this is the same as 4 A*s at A level. 3 boys scored the maximum 45 points.

http://www.kes.org.uk/headlines-summer-2015" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I have no idea how they arrive at that

These chappies suggest that ABB at A level broadly correlates to 34 points. I think KES's claim might be on the little optimistic side of thing, but you would definitely think 45 equates to 4 A*s

http://www.fft.org.uk/FFT/media/fft/New ... ions_2.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

In terms of the general table, yes agree it double weighted, but it shows what it shows and highlighted why the top uni's are taking their intakes from a relatively few schools. If you can get one of the top 100, your onto a good thing, whichever way you look at it.

Very few comps near me will get anywhere near the performance of these schools, so it can feel a bit like splitting hairs
Catseye

Post by Catseye »

Petitpois wrote: If you can get one of the top 100, your onto a good thing,
How have you worked that out?
Petitpois wrote:Very few comps near me will get anywhere near the performance of these schools
OK lets compare like with like , since the super-selectives pride themselves on selecting the top 5% or so of the national cohort, now lets compare the results of the top 5% of proper comprehensives( i.e where the top end has not been siphoned off to the Grammar Schools) I think you will find the comps do as well as these super-selectives or even better!

Even the old Highmaster of Eton College admitted the secret to their success was "selection,selection and more selection"
Petitpois

Post by Petitpois »

In terms of your specific point, I thought I would have a look

1) Bishops Stortford 86% 5 A-C's (0% low attainers) only 95% of high attainers. Very few disadvantaged learners and just 1 whose first language is not English. 29.5% getting A*/A

2) Gunnersbury school, Brentford - 90% 5A-C's (15% low attainers) but 100% of high attainers. 39% English not first language. 32% disadvantaged children on FSM. BTW 44% getting A*/A

http://www.education.gov.uk/cgi-bin/sch ... urn=102545" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I would have thought Gunnersbury is a very good candidate example of what your saying.

There is about as much chance of getting a school like Gunnersbury in Sandwell as Elvis buying a bottle of "bucky" in the local off licence
ToadMum

Re: wday Times League table top 200

Post by ToadMum »

So are you saying that the schools in Sandwell are failing pupils (broadly national average spread of high / middle / low attainers in at age 11, significantly below expected attainment at GCSE), or that the intake for some reason has a much lower proportion than the national average of high and the brighter end of the middle achievers entering its secondary schools and the GCSE 'product' just reflects the 'raw materials'? (The latter would raise the question as to whether Sandwell children are dimmer than the rest of the country, or a significant number of the cleverest move to secondaries in other LEAs? BTW I spent a large chunk of my youth in a town in Staffordshire reputed to have the lowest collective IQ in the country :shock: ).
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Midlandsmom

Post by Midlandsmom »

ToadMum wrote:So are you saying that the schools in Sandwell are failing pupils (broadly national average spread of high / middle / low attainers in at age 11, significantly below expected attainment at GCSE), or that the intake for some reason has a much lower proportion than the national average of high and the brighter end of the middle achievers entering its secondary schools and the GCSE 'product' just reflects the 'raw materials'? (The latter would raise the question as to whether Sandwell children are dimmer than the rest of the country, or a significant number of the cleverest move to secondaries in other LEAs? BTW I spent a large chunk of my youth in a town in Staffordshire reputed to have the lowest collective IQ in the country :shock: ).
As a parent of a y6 child in a Sandwell primary, I can tell you that the parents of the brighter children in his class have all ranked secondaries outside of Sandwell as preferred choices (at least, that's what they've said and I don't disbelieve them). Being so close to the border of other 'better' or at least 'perceived to be better' local authorities (and therefore their secondary options) means it's realistic on distance criteria that some, if not all, will get their places out of Sandwell.

2 years ago I moved 1.5 miles, across the LA border and a little closer to the better secondaries, for security in knowing I could definitely get a Halesowen school (Dudley LA) and yet could keep the children at their outstanding Sandwell primary without any difficuly. I had (have) no desire to entertain any of the local Sandwell secondary options for my children. In areas such as ours where neither Sandwell or Dudley (for example) have catchment or prioritise children living in their own LA I think it's invariable that parents will look towards sending their children to the better schools, which might be a different LA but 1.2 miles away, as opposed to Sandwell LA and 0.5 miles away... This is bound to impact upon the Sandwell secondaries in terms of who they get on allocation day...
mad?

Post by mad? »

Petitpois wrote: 2) Gunnersbury school, Brentford - 90% 5A-C's (15% low attainers) but 100% of high attainers. 39% English not first language. 32% disadvantaged children on FSM. BTW 44% getting A*/A

http://www.education.gov.uk/cgi-bin/sch ... urn=102545" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I would have thought Gunnersbury is a very good candidate example of what your saying.
Gunnersbury is a bit of an anomaly though. Religious school where children of highly aspirant parents who had been focused enough to realise the importance of an early baptism travel significant distances to get there. It is a high performing school and I'd have sent DDs there if we were religious and they were boys :( , but it does cherry pick.
mad?
WindowGlass

Post by WindowGlass »

Sadly, like much of non-selectives in Birmingham, Sandwell does not do well in secondary education.
Largely blackcountry, traditional industries decline, higher-earning job market draws towards Birmingham, the asokrational and affluent often move out to Birmingham suburbs, Solihull and Sutton Coldfield etc.
High levels of unemployment and low-earner immigration / refugees.
It's innovative and industrious, but educationally it struggles.
I've no problem with the local primary schools - as long as parents can and will support/suplement their kids' education, but secondaries are mediocre at best. Sandwell Academy does well with its cohort, and Ormiston Oldbury has great Sport and Performing arts (I amexpecting future Olympians from there), but Perryfields, Holly Lodge are not what they used to be and the other ex-grammar school in West Bromwich closed decades ago.

We can only hope the government's academy strategy can pay off, or some major shoft locally.
Petitpois

Post by Petitpois »

WindowGlass wrote:Sadly, like much of non-selectives in Birmingham, Sandwell does not do well in secondary education.

We can only hope the government's academy strategy can pay off, or some major shoft locally.
Although even Sandwell academy streams. I think they do a NVR test of some sort. Shireland also does the same. We definitely thought about moving in to Earls or Windsor catchment.

It is a tough one, but many schools in the SE do significantly better, in similar circumstances. Perhaps the link between education and economic success is clearer, down there.

I think a huge part the problem is breaking the cycle with the parents low aspiration rather than the schools. When you combine that with poor educational attainment on the parents part, the barriers to success do start to mount.

I have seen some stuff recently from Sandwell that will probably go a long way. Support classes for parents to read with their kids, for example.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now