Scrupulous tutors and unsuspecting parents

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Daogroupie

Re: Scrupulous tutors and unsuspecting parents

Post by Daogroupie »

Did you sign up to this tutor preparing your dc for the exam?

Birmingham CEM consists of NVR, Numerical Reasoning and English VR. Which bit was he covering and what was he leaving out? DG
Enjoyingthejourney

Post by Enjoyingthejourney »

Whilst boasting to prepare children for the 11plus exam, the sole focus was mathematics and verbal reasoning (bond books), including non-CEM topics covered in the books. As far as I can tell, the simple suggestion that the English was unimportant due to it being simple language skills already grasped by the children, i do not feel that the tuition was tailored to the CEM at all.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

Perhaps he should sit an English CEM paper and see what mark he gets before he decides it is all so simple. Perhaps some of his former studentsshould apply for their mark from CEM and find out just how well they did in the English CEM paper. DG
Enjoyingthejourney

Post by Enjoyingthejourney »

Daogroupie wrote:Perhaps he should sit an English CEM paper and see what mark he gets before he decides it is all so simple. Perhaps some of his former studentsshould apply for their mark from CEM and find out just how well they did in the English CEM paper. DG

I completely agree. My sister has recently left CHG. Having sketched out a rough comp/vocab course for my DS in light of realising it will mostly be DIY as far as tutoring will go, when enlisting her help even she was stumped!! (And she left with an A level in English)
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now