What is average good score for CEM practice papers?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
OldTrout

Re: What is average good score for CEM practice papers?

Post by OldTrout »

Hi Wise:

I agree with Nervousmum - reading good quality literature and really facing up to 'new words' - not glossing over them but working out what they mean pays dividends come the 11+. Someone posted long ago that they actually gave their daughter a dictionary and suggested she look up words she didn't know and keep a notebook of them. We didn't exactly do that but we would play this game where one of my girls would guess the meaning of a new word - I'd give a few hints - and then if they were still stumped we'd go for the dictionary.

If you haven't - really read the sticky at the top of this section for content of Birmingham KE State Grammar exams - there are all sorts of clues there about content and what you should focus on.

HTH
Last edited by OldTrout on Thu Jan 14, 2016 6:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OldTrout

Post by OldTrout »

In terms of practice papers/ exams - for our first attempt (around Easter) was a total disaster - I doubt either of my girls made 60%. But it was useful for them to appreciate there was a lot of work to do - and sort of helped. I didn't do another practice exam with either of them until the summer - and on the second campaign was very relaxed about it - so one whole exam could be taken piecemeal (and not under 'true exam conditions') and then tally up the overall score.

Everyone will have different views of course - but in both cases speed wasn't the issue. Being clear about what was being asked, following instructions and checking work (especially calculations) was criticial. One thing I really noticed was that my girls were frightened to write on the Bond books/ practice papers/ etc.... - but in fact making notes/ underlining important words/ writing out calculations/ etc... is really important - so this might be something to consider encouraging they do as well.

HTH
WISE

Post by WISE »

Thanks OldTrout and others for your help.

I have started with reading again, this time got a few famous books like To Kill Mocking Bird, Alchemist and Lord of the Flies, and plan to read together slowly. Lets see if this helps.

I have also downloaded some wordlists from online and plan to go through 5-10 words every other day may be.

Thanks all.
guest201

Post by guest201 »

My DS is a reader too, don't become obsessed with getting them to read a certain type of book, if your child reads for pleasure don't spoil that by pushing them too much. We found the CGP 10 minute tests for CEM useful (the VR one) it has a bit of everything (cloze, comprehension, synonyms, antonyms) in manageable chunks.
JaneEyre

Post by JaneEyre »

WISE wrote: I have started with reading again, this time got a few famous books like To Kill Mocking Bird, Alchemist and Lord of the Flies, and plan to read together slowly. Lets see if this helps.
Hi Wise, :D

It is great that your DS is back to reading! :D I hope that he is enjoying it! However, I can't help feeling a bit concerned... I do not know The Alchemist, but Lord of the Flies and To Kill a Mocking Bird are books usually read at GCSE level. Is you child mature enough to read them and understand them already?
There are some great books easier to tackle and mostly to enjoy for 10 years old.
I am under the impression that there are several 11+ prep reading lists on this forum somewhere. If somebody could point out their location, that surely would be most helpful! :wink:
um

Post by um »

There are some great reading lists/suggestions here:

http://www.lovereading4kids.co.uk/genre ... aders.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.dulwichpreplondon.org/page/? ... 14&pid=211" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
PurpleDuck

Post by PurpleDuck »

JaneEyre wrote: I do not know The Alchemist, but Lord of the Flies and To Kill a Mocking Bird are books usually read at GCSE level. Is you child mature enough to read them and understand them already?
I thought the same, but then it turns out that 'Lord of the Flies' does occasionally come up in 11+ comprehension tests!
It felt like I hit rock bottom; suddenly, there was knocking from beneath... (anon.)
PurpleDuck

Post by PurpleDuck »

um wrote:There are some great reading lists/suggestions here:

http://www.lovereading4kids.co.uk/genre ... aders.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.dulwichpreplondon.org/page/? ... 14&pid=211" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Thanks for the links, um, they are most useful! :D
It felt like I hit rock bottom; suddenly, there was knocking from beneath... (anon.)
Petitpois

Post by Petitpois »

One other tip, have a look at manchester grammar past papers. They say if you can get above 50% on these at beginning of year 5, your ball park. My DD scored 59% in jan 15 and 87.5% today and finished with time to spare. Perception wise i thought mgs were harder than CEM, but a year make a huge difference
JaneEyre

Post by JaneEyre »

Another good reading list :wink:
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/advice ... ading-list" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now