EHS and KEHS tests.

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Astro16

EHS and KEHS tests.

Post by Astro16 »

Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone else's DD's are taking either exam and how they're feeling? Have you done any prep?
Astro16

Re: EHS and KEHS tests.

Post by Astro16 »

No one? :cry:
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Give 'em a chance Astro! -
Everyone probably had early night and now beavering away at work - hopefully you'll get some comments over the weekend.
Petitpois

Post by Petitpois »

Astro we pulled out a comprehension last week and did that. DD scored 90%, but that is it. She said she wants to do a timed mixed test at the weekend. They have finally been doing timed mocks at school ahead of Sats. Interestingly she said some kids that she expected to do poorly had suddenly made great progress. I am also hearing of good progress from some who did very average in the KE but started with one of the preps in September. I have not said anything, expectations are less optimistic given limited prep. It is hard to keep intensity going. Garden pea said DD grammar usage and sentence construction had markedly improved. What have you done...lots?
Astro16

Post by Astro16 »

Petitpois wrote:Astro we pulled out a comprehension last week and did that. DD scored 90%, but that is it. She said she wants to do a timed mixed test at the weekend. They have finally been doing timed mocks at school ahead of Sats. Interestingly she said some kids that she expected to do poorly had suddenly made great progress. I am also hearing of good progress from some who did very average in the KE but started with one of the preps in September. I have not said anything, expectations are less optimistic given limited prep. It is hard to keep intensity going. Garden pea said DD grammar usage and sentence construction had markedly improved. What have you done...lots?
We haven't done anything. She just continues to read, (it's her hobby) and she seems to be doing reams of tests at school. We have the EHS test tomorrow, not sure how to feel about it!
Amarstone

Post by Amarstone »

I wouldn't worry. The EHS exam is pretty straightforward. I have not heard of a girl who hasn't passed and that includes one who froze in one exam and didn't write a thing. Girls with a decent KE score tend tend to do well in the exam and get 50% off the fees.
Astro16

Post by Astro16 »

That's refreshing to know, she isn't phased by it at all - think it's more me! What concerns me most is her sentence structure. She's very capable and can write beautifully when she has time to properly formulate an idea; when she rushes or lacks direction her words become fragmented and as a result her sentences don't make alot of sense.

She doesn't really seem to want to revise and that concerns me because I've always been one to study. What will be, will be!
Amarstone

Post by Amarstone »

Maybe get her to practise using a range of sentence structures in opening paragraphs? The exam is an opportunity for students to showcase what they can do. If she shows immediately that she can punctuate and use a range of sentences then it doesn't matters she lapses a bit later: she has shown potential.
moseleymum

Post by moseleymum »

Amarstone wrote:I wouldn't worry. The EHS exam is pretty straightforward. I have not heard of a girl who hasn't passed and that includes one who froze in one exam and didn't write a thing. Girls with a decent KE score tend tend to do well in the exam and get 50% off the fees.
Really? I have. Worst of all is that the girls I have known who haven't passed have come from EHS prep.....
Amarstone

Post by Amarstone »

Really? That's surprising! All the ones I know went to state primaries or Bluecoat.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now