KES Scholarship result at interview?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
JaneEyre

Re: KES Scholarship result at interview?

Post by JaneEyre »

Turtlegirl wrote:Just had a call from Mrs Phillips! Also called for an Assisted Place interview. I was told it wouldn't be with Mr Claughton but with Mr Phillips and someone else. Now I just have to enthuse the boy who doesn't want to go to school with his brother....
It is nice to read this good news for your family, Turtlegirl! :D

I know another mum whose second DS didn't want to be 'in the shadow' of DS1 and who goes to CHB (year 7 this year) :wink:

However, tell your DS2 to go for the interview, even if he does not take the place... it is just good practise :lol: :lol: and give him a good treat for having gone through the interview process! (cinema?):wink:

All my congrats!
Last edited by JaneEyre on Wed Jan 20, 2016 10:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Turtlegirl

Post by Turtlegirl »

Thanks JaneEyre. We've been saying exactly that! He's been more positive since he got the interview. We'd be very happy with CHB but the journey is longer...
Shnshn

Post by Shnshn »

DS enjoyed the interview!

All very relaxed and asked him what he liked about the school, his favourite subjects, favourite book etc.
I think the type of questions you get depends on your childs interests.

Everyone made him feel at ease and they can see which children are more nervous and do help them relax.

No results are released before 12th Feb!

There were 600+ boys taking tests on the Saturday and by Tuesday all tests were marked!
A great achievement to be called for the interview itself.
Still many more boys to be interviewed right up until results day, i think it was something like 130 interviews and only 70 places available for the Assisted Places.

Now a 3 week wait till results day.
SSINGH77

Post by SSINGH77 »

Shnshn wrote:DS enjoyed the interview!

All very relaxed and asked him what he liked about the school, his favourite subjects, favourite book etc.
I think the type of questions you get depends on your childs interests.

Everyone made him feel at ease and they can see which children are more nervous and do help them relax.

No results are released before 12th Feb!

There were 600+ boys taking tests on the Saturday and by Tuesday all tests were marked!
A great achievement to be called for the interview itself.
Still many more boys to be interviewed right up until results day, i think it was something like 130 interviews and only 70 places available for the Assisted Places.

Now a 3 week wait till results day.

Great news. Well done to your son.
The World is a Drama Staged in a Dream
brc

Post by brc »

Best of luck to your son. Are you sure there are 70 AP places out of total 120-125 places?
quasimodo

Post by quasimodo »

http://www.kes.org.uk/latest/highest-nu ... ecade.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I saw this on the schools website just now.A real testament to the hard work of the Chief Master in his final year.

According to the school website about 30% of pupils recieve financial assistance and about 10% from that are free.
In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years.

Abraham Lincoln
bluejay

Post by bluejay »

Our DS was called for an interview also. Calls are still being made, however the impression i was given is that scholarships are called initially and then followed by APs and then borderline interviews take place during the week before results are received.
Not long to wait now.
Shnshn

Post by Shnshn »

brc - im pretty sure it was 70 places as i remember thinking it was higher than what i had thought previously.

Good luck to all those being called for interview.

In general they are calling boys 2 days before the interview.

Nicole Phillips did say she gets many calls from parents asking if their son would be called but obviously she just cannot tell them until its their turn to be called if they are on the list.
They get through many interview in a day, there were 4 other boys around the same time as my DS, we arrived about 45 mins early!!!!
SSINGH77

Post by SSINGH77 »

My Son had his interview today for the School.

Very Pleasant People lovely school.

Many other boys were there too for Interviews so competition for places is healthy.

If we did get offered the Scholarship we would have to have a good think about it?

For anyone who is still going to take their son. There is nothing to worry about at all. No funny questions nothing to trick the child just a nice conversation.

good luck to all.
The World is a Drama Staged in a Dream
bluejay

Post by bluejay »

Yes you are right Mr Singh, there is nothing to worry about,
the interview is just an opportunity for them to meet our DS and the questions are general and random.

My older son is in Year 10 now at KES, however even with a scholarship there are still fees to pay unless you qualify for a bursary so that is something to consider. 5 - 7 years of school fees is something that can't be taken lightly.
Weigh up all the benefits of GS and the Indies and then decide what works best for you and your DS.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now