Newport/Walsall/Wolverhampton 2017 entry

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
MSD

Re: Newport/Walsall/Wolverhampton 2017 entry

Post by MSD »

Ah ok Toadmum! Makes you wonder if they are only standardising across two subject areas, why confuse parents and use the base standardisation of 300 :(

Anyway, I have found our scores. Here they are :

English - 129
Maths - 132
NVR - 110

But surprisingly the total weighted score was 375(rather than 371), despite him being the oldest and I would expected that a minimum of 5 points taken away for being oldest. He was born on the second day of September.

That's what made me think if they had raised the weighting for English from 33% to 50%.
MSD

Post by MSD »

One thing is quite clear from the above results that they are no longer using equal weighting for 3 subject areas. And as he scrored quite low on NVR, it's highly likely the weighting for English has increased from the previous 33%.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

MSD wrote:Ah ok Toadmum! Makes you wonder if they are only standardising across two subject areas, why confuse parents and use the base standardisation of 300 :(

Anyway, I have found our scores. Here they are :

English - 129
Maths - 132
NVR - 110

But surprisingly the total weighted score was 375(rather than 371), despite him being the oldest and I would expected that a minimum of 5 points taken away for being oldest. He was born on the second day of September.

That's what made me think if they had raised the weighting for English from 33% to 50%.
You could try just asking them how they calculate the scores - a Forum member here in Essex asks the local Consortium every year and they do oblige with the actual mean and standard deviation for each paper (no age standardisation here to complicate matters).

Marks are not 'taken away' or 'added' by the age standardisation - your son would have been compared with others in his near age group and it is at least in theory possible that this group ) had a mean raw score (i.e. the score which will be the standardised score of 100 for that group) lower than the mean raw score for, say, the January birthdays.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
MSD

Post by MSD »

ToadMum wrote:
Marks are not 'taken away' or 'added' by the age standardisation - your son would have been compared with others in his near age group and it is at least in theory possible that this group ) had a mean raw score (i.e. the score which will be the standardised score of 100 for that group) lower than the mean raw score for, say, the January birthdays.
Yes, correct! But more often than not you will find that mature children do end up scoring higher. So I made an assumption based on that.

On the other hand it would be quite unfair for a child belonging to younger group, to be part of a really bright young group that ends up scoring a higher average than the older group. I will feel for those couple of young not so bright ones who were penalised due to being part of that younger but brighter one month group.
MSD

Post by MSD »

PP - Did you get your breakdown back from Charles? Could you please post and see if we can make any sense on weighting?
Bob1892

Post by Bob1892 »

Professor Yaffle wrote:For those waiting for news on the Newport/Walsall/Wolverhampton 2016 exam there is finally confirmation that the exam has been moved back to September, however it doesn't look like there will be just one exam across Birmingham & Warwickshire as has been rumoured. The exam is scheduled for Monday 19th September (information from Newport Girls High website)
Personally think my ds doing the July test before the brum one was a massive advantage.
I know the QM head was seething with all the mock sitters last year.
No such luck for brummies this year it seems - hint hint for all those who are aiming for QM/Wolves schools- not that I would advocate any dubious undertakings. :wink:
Petitpois

Post by Petitpois »

probably means a 320 performance this year will be a 325 in 2016 as the the population curve flattens and widens.

that also means a 260 is possibly a 250??

What skulduggery is being suggested, too early on a Sunday monday
Bob1892

Post by Bob1892 »

Only skullduggery today will be at villa park this afternoon viz a viz kloppo's tactics.
Don't want villa to go down to be fair but its looking very likely now.
Petitpois

Post by Petitpois »

Liverpool have been a curates egg this season. I can only hope we get a bit of luck. If we do then the relegation mini table of newcastle, villa, norwich and sunderland is more interesting. I would say Sunderland most likely to survive, not just because they beat united, but I thought getting two back against liverpool in the last ten minutes showed character. Villa just can't threaten up front
Inspector General

Post by Inspector General »

Professor Yaffle wrote:For those waiting for news on the Newport/Walsall/Wolverhampton 2016 exam there is finally confirmation that the exam has been moved back to September, however it doesn't look like there will be just one exam across Birmingham & Warwickshire as has been rumoured. The exam is scheduled for Monday 19th September (information from Newport Girls High website)
Presumably CEM, or whoever is subcontracted to do this, will have to turn around the marking rather quickly... !!
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now