King Edwards School Birmingham from a Parents view...

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
SSINGH77

King Edwards School Birmingham from a Parents view...

Post by SSINGH77 »

Good Evening all..

I would love to hear from parents whose children currently go to KES Birmingham.
Listening to the teachers and having the open day is one thing but listening first hand from parents whose children currently go there or parents whose children went there or even better hearing from parents who went there. :lol:

If this topic is already out there my apologies....
The World is a Drama Staged in a Dream
Turtlegirl

Re: King Edwards School Birmingham from a Parents view...

Post by Turtlegirl »

My middle son is in Year 8. The school is fantastic. One of the aspects that I have found impressive is that staff are very responsive - I have never waited more than a day for an email reply, and you are given form tutor's emails before your son begins. His Year 7 tutor would reply almost immediately to me, even at the weekend.

He is a quirky type and took some time to find his feet, and was given excellent counselling organised by the school, which they set up very quickly once they'd identified a need.

He also had some struggles with his maths and was put into maths mentoring (provided by 6th formers) which has made a massive difference to his progress and confidence.

He has tried lots of things and has been encouraged and supported by staff in activities he wanted to do - including setting up a Junior Christian Union.

The music is a particular highlight of the school's activities and my son has sung with the 160 member choir and is now in the wind band, which he enjoys very much, despite only having reached Grade 1 on his trombone so far.

It's a fabulous school.
SSINGH77

Post by SSINGH77 »

Turtlegirl wrote:My middle son is in Year 8. The school is fantastic. One of the aspects that I have found impressive is that staff are very responsive - I have never waited more than a day for an email reply, and you are given form tutor's emails before your son begins. His Year 7 tutor would reply almost immediately to me, even at the weekend.

He is a quirky type and took some time to find his feet, and was given excellent counselling organised by the school, which they set up very quickly once they'd identified a need.

He also had some struggles with his maths and was put into maths mentoring (provided by 6th formers) which has made a massive difference to his progress and confidence.

He has tried lots of things and has been encouraged and supported by staff in activities he wanted to do - including setting up a Junior Christian Union.

The music is a particular highlight of the school's activities and my son has sung with the 160 member choir and is now in the wind band, which he enjoys very much, despite only having reached Grade 1 on his trombone so far.

It's a fabulous school.

Thats great to hear Turtle Girl..

Thanks for that, its nice to hear.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Isn't a new Head taking over in September? The school is bound to change ...
SSINGH77

Post by SSINGH77 »

Guest55 wrote:Isn't a new Head taking over in September? The school is bound to change ...

Yes there will be a new head in September 2016
Fountain

Post by Fountain »

Hi ssingh77 , my DS is in year 10 ( first year gcse) . Compared to the school he came from obviously this is much bigger . He settled in very well and to be honest he seems to just get on with school life. The head who is leaving this year is amazing , same goes for the staff. Teachers are very easy to communicate with , if you email or call them and leave messages they get back to you quickly.
Uniform was easy to get hold of, pe, hockey cricket kits and school uniform . My DS had school lunch for first couple of years but found he spent longer lining up than sitting eating so now takes pack lunch. He doesn't need to go to the lunch hall to eat this.
The journey for us is 11 miles one way and depending on the traffic sometimes and hold ups can be rather annoying , but on days he gets train this is very straight forward from university station.
They have numerous number of optional trips on offer, and also clubs too.
It is a shame that this school do not have a PTA uniform sales, which I did try and set up but with little joy.
Homework is given most days and does increase as years go on.
Parents evening are once a year, and so are written reports, but at the end of each term a score of effort and attainment table is sent out .
Anyway hope this was helpful, good luck . Ps if your DS needs a rugby kit we have a brand new set you are welcome to probably only wore it once.
SSINGH77

Post by SSINGH77 »

Fountain wrote:Hi ssingh77 , my DS is in year 10 ( first year gcse) . Compared to the school he came from obviously this is much bigger . He settled in very well and to be honest he seems to just get on with school life. The head who is leaving this year is amazing , same goes for the staff. Teachers are very easy to communicate with , if you email or call them and leave messages they get back to you quickly.
Uniform was easy to get hold of, pe, hockey cricket kits and school uniform . My DS had school lunch for first couple of years but found he spent longer lining up than sitting eating so now takes pack lunch. He doesn't need to go to the lunch hall to eat this.
The journey for us is 11 miles one way and depending on the traffic sometimes and hold ups can be rather annoying , but on days he gets train this is very straight forward from university station.
They have numerous number of optional trips on offer, and also clubs too.
It is a shame that this school do not have a PTA uniform sales, which I did try and set up but with little joy.
Homework is given most days and does increase as years go on.
Parents evening are once a year, and so are written reports, but at the end of each term a score of effort and attainment table is sent out .
Anyway hope this was helpful, good luck . Ps if your DS needs a rugby kit we have a brand new set you are welcome to probably only wore it once.

Fountain thank you for all of that. It's much appreciated. My son is playing rugby at the moment for Warley Rugby Club.

I think the drive would be about 25-35 minutes for him daily.

Do you find there is a lot of pressure on the children to achieve high grades?