Where do I start.....11+ KE Schools

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
yoyo123

Re: Where do I start.....11+ KE Schools

Post by yoyo123 »

This is the first year under new curriculum for year 6 ( and 2.)
This is the second year for all other classes.
MSD

Post by MSD »

OldTrout wrote: Keep in mind some very good advice I was given: The 11+ basically assumes your child is working at late Y6 or early Y7 level at the start of Y6. So map out what that means - plenty of KS2 SATs and curriculum programmes of study info for you to understand what it encompasses
Oldtrout,

You have made some very valid points in your previous post. But personally I don't think there is much correlation between SATS and CEM 11+ Test. I don't think if a child has done well in SATS they are also guaranteed to do well in 11+ and vice versa. I believe both are testing for different skills, for e.g. Speed is the key with CEM but not in SATS. The elements tested in English and Maths are quite different and NVR is non existent in SATS. I have come across kids who have done incredibly well in SATS, but terribly in 11+ and also the other way around.
OldTrout

Post by OldTrout »

MSD

I do take your point but what I was intending was to explain that if as a parent you went through the new programmes of study for English/ Maths (which is virtually a tick list) - and could pretty well say 'Yes, dear little *** can do all this!' or 'Yes, dear little **** can do most of this already!' - you know the 11+ is a definite possiblity and worth considering going for.

That isn't to say that if you read through the programmes of study and feel that there's a lot of gaps you can't go for the 11+ - but I think it is a good indication you've got a big hill to climb.

KS2 Programme of study English: https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... 220714.pdf

KS2 Programme of study Maths: https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... 220714.pdf

As I've always said - using bond books for NVR/ VR - with the proviso that VR codes (alphabetic/ alpha-numeric/ numeric) and NVR nets of cubes are highly unlikely to appear on the 11+ in Birmingham (at least historically) and more recently using CGP Cloze practise books helps to prepare for the specific style of the 11+.

I totally agree MSD that KS2 SATs aren't the same thing.
MSD

Post by MSD »

Ah OK! I see what you mean.

Yes, VR code style exercises have never appeared in a CEM test. So parents beware if your tutor is sending code exercises home everyday (unless of course if you are sitting a private school test). And same with 3D nets - they haven't appeared for a while and unlikely to appear, but variety is the key for NVR and it's worth practicing 3D nets and cubes.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now