King Edward Status - firstimemum

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Petitpois

King Edward Status - firstimemum

Post by Petitpois »

Just responding to first time mum re the KE thing.

I thought WGHS was better than anything we saw in Brum apart from KEHS, but you have to have a school that is optimal. KEVIHS was just below it from a school perspective, but ticked way too many other non school boxes. I don't know why KE status would come into the equation..
thirdtimemum

Re: King Edward Status - firstimemum

Post by thirdtimemum »

Hi, I think you're referring to the post I deleted after seeing the "please use another post" comment.
I do feel that lots of people choose a school because it is KE and dismiss others when they are not. I think it is apparent in these forums as BV , SCGSG and HGS are often forgotten about, I think that is even more the case with schools outside of Birmingham.
My ds scored enough to go to KEA but preferred BV and we allowed him to choose we did not even consider if it was a KE school or not.
I haven't looked that closely at results but do the results really represent the differences in cut off scores ? Or in fact the popularity of the school? PP when you find yourself at a loose end when the 11+ drama has calmed down it may be an interesting one to look at.
I don't for a minute think anyone will post stating they would only consider KE but the popularity of the schools speak volumes.
PP hoping you get your good news soon. Not sure dd in yr 4 will be taking her 11+ so we may have to move from sandwell before then. Out of interest which school is your catchment school?
Petitpois

Post by Petitpois »

Lordswood girls was on our radar as well as a slew of sandwell comp. We ignored them and did nothing about 11+ until we saw lordswood merge with the boys. Basically panicked. We only just realised that st gregorys along with our lady fatima all get free ticket to hagley high. Would you adam n eve it??
nervousmom

Post by nervousmom »

The King Edward status is not what drew us to FW. We wanted a GS education and this was a fabulous school.

Our DS is in year 9 and our DD will now be joining him.

We could have considered CHG, as this is our closest school, but we didn't visit the school, the same applied with DS, CHB was never a consideration and again we didn't visit the school.

Our second choice for DD was Alcester Grammar School, which isn't KE status.

So for us it was the importance of a GS rather than a KE GS.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now