Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Petitpois

Re: Year 4 preparation for 11+

Post by Petitpois »

Glow wrote:
Turtlegirl wrote:
Tuition will always be useful for a child even if the 11+/grammar school route is not the best option for a school. And a good tutor should be able to give you a realistic picture of your son's capabilities. I hope you are able to settle on a good solution for your son.
Thank you Turtlegirl but the problem with good tutors is they are difficult to find. Some are way too strict some only tutor in groups and of course parents are not always open with recommendations. Unfortunately I'm unable to use the tutor DS1 had - what I need is a really motivated 1 to 1 tutor who will be honest with us.
I would not recommend the tutor we had for your child, based on what you have said. St Georges school are superb for children with SEN issues. We recommended that route for a firend as we have connections, that could give both a professional and personal view of the school and they really are top of their game. Our friend is buzzing at the possibility of getting her child support.

I have said before that SEN provision is horrendous in some instances, but I am not sure another move is right at this stage from an 11+ perspective (stability is a key factor). I think you have a real difficult problem to solve there. If you have confidence where you are, arrange a meeting with the PHSE and your child's class teacher. That would be my first port of call. They may tell you that 11+ is a mistake (and it will only be their view), but they will be working with your child, far more than anyone else, so its a really good starting point.

Hope that helps
PurpleDuck

Post by PurpleDuck »

Glow wrote:There doesn't seem to be a definitive answer on whether or not it is possible to have extra time specifically for the 11+. I'll definitely look into that since DS2 also has borderline hearing.

If he could do tests whilst walking, jumping or skipping I'm sure he would do great - how odd. His Maths teacher,allows him,on occasion to stand rather than sit whilst working and this makes him so happy.
If you mean extra time for 11+ exams then yes, it is possible, but you would have to have an official assessment report (by an educational psychologist) for your DS and you would have to notify the schools at the time of registering for the exams that he has particular needs so that they could make appropriate arrangements for him. I think it would be wise to do that, especially if hearing is an issue. You will have to submit all supporting documentation you have and they will have to accommodate your DS's needs so that he has a fair chance of doing well in his exams.

Perhaps it is worth talking to SENCO in your school - ideally, you would want them to refer your DS for an assessment, otherwise you will have to go private and it may cost you a few hundred pounds. I would start looking into this sooner rather than later, as school SEN assessment referrals can take a few months before you get seen.

It is not unusual at all that your DS needs to be 'on the go' when having to concentrate. In fact, it's very common for children with sensory processing difficulties - in a nutshell, they are the children who need to fidget in order to maintain their state of alertness and be able to concentrate. One thing you can't say to them is 'sit still and concentrate' - they just find it really difficult. They often get in trouble for not being able to sit still or for fidgeting and not concentrating, but for them this is the only way they can stay focussed. My DS used to find excuses to get up and wonder around the classroom - like go and get a dictionary etc - and luckily his teacher recognised what she was dealing with. You could try a 'wobble cushion' for your DS to sit on while he is working, it should help his concentration. We had one from a physio supplies website and it really helped. Our local grammar school said he would be allowed to use it during the entrance exams, but he chose not to. Maybe he wouldn't have missed by those two marks if he did...

I totally understand your dilemma, we've been there, too, and had to overcome quite a few obstacles. It is hard, but can be done, so don't get disheartened. Feel free to PM me if you have any particular questions. Good luck! :D
It felt like I hit rock bottom; suddenly, there was knocking from beneath... (anon.)
Glow

Post by Glow »

We had an assessment conducted when DS was 8 years and 3 months. The psychological report concluded DS has strengths in Verbal Comprehension and weaknesses in Working memory, Processing Speed and Phonological awareness. His reading comprehension, reading speed and written expression are significantly below his verbal intellectual ability.

"His verbal ability scores place him higher than 79% of his peers and suggest above average academic potential, however he maybe slow to process information"

Looking at the report it does state " in view of his learning difficulties, he may be eligible for special examination access arrangements. He should be granted extra time to complete written papers because his poor reading and writing constitute a handicap" but it also states " he narrowly misses the criteria laid down by authorities, which suggests that attainment or processing scores below 85 (16th percentile) qualify individuals for special examination access arrangements. He scores 86 on working memory and 83 on processing speed"
PurpleDuck

Post by PurpleDuck »

Glow wrote:We had an assessment conducted when DS was 8 years and 3 months. The psychological report concluded DS has strengths in Verbal Comprehension and weaknesses in Working memory, Processing Speed and Phonological awareness. His reading comprehension, reading speed and written expression are significantly below his verbal intellectual ability.

"His verbal ability scores place him higher than 79% of his peers and suggest above average academic potential, however he maybe slow to process information"

Looking at the report it does state " in view of his learning difficulties, he may be eligible for special examination access arrangements. He should be granted extra time to complete written papers because his poor reading and writing constitute a handicap" but it also states " he narrowly misses the criteria laid down by authorities, which suggests that attainment or processing scores below 85 (16th percentile) qualify individuals for special examination access arrangements. He scores 86 on working memory and 83 on processing speed"
It sounds like something that Jungle Memory could greatly help with. From memory, it is an 8 week programme with progressively more difficult verbal, numerical and spatial processing exercises which take about half an hour in total to complete each session. They recommend doing it at least 4 times a week, we did it nearly every day to have the maximum benefit. If you haven't had a chance to see it yet, these are just some of the things they say (I hope it is ok to post this, Moderators?):
Improves Grades
Dr. Tracy Alloway found after 8 weeks of Jungle Memory training, students with learning difficulties improved 10 standard points in language and math. This is like improving from a C to a B or a B to an A. They also improved in IQ and Working Memory. For scientific validity the results were compared with those of a control group, who received extra tutoring, but did not use Jungle Memory. The control group didn’t show any improvements Working Memory, IQ, or Math. This research is published in the Journal Interactive Learning Research.

Improves Grades, Working Memory, and IQ in Dyslexic students
Clinical trials with Dyslexia Scotland found that students showed significant improvements in standardized tests of Working Memory and IQ after training regularly with Jungle Memory. Their scores in standardized tests in language and math were also better after training. The findings were presented at branch meetings of Dyslexia Scotland in 2010 and 2011.

Results are Maintained
Clinical trials compared students who trained regularly with Jungle Memory (4x a week) to those who only trainined once a week. Students who trained regularly with Jungle Memory had higher Working Memory scores, IQ scores, and even learning outcomes compared to those who only trained once a week. When students were tested at an 8-month following, the improvements they had achieved were maintained—even though they had not been training during that period. This maintenance effect suggests that using Jungle Memory can provide lasting gains to Working Memory. This research is published in the journal Computers and Human Behavior.
There is a demo on their home page http://junglememory.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I would imagine that low scores on reading and writing speed are more relevant for special exam arrangements than working memory, but it may be worth checking with the schools (or one of them) you are potentially interested in what their view is. I would also ask whether the report you have would be still considered 'in date' by the time you register for 11+ at the end of year 5. Things may change over time, so they may want to have an updated review. BTW, writing speed can improve over time, it's not only a dyslexia issue but also co-ordination, strength of the arm & wrist and a proper pen grip. I am not suggesting your DS has issues with any of these, but if he is one of the children who easily get tired while writing, there are all sorts of strengthening exercises that could help. :)
It felt like I hit rock bottom; suddenly, there was knocking from beneath... (anon.)
Glow

Post by Glow »

Wow Purpleduck, it's sounds amazing and definitely worth a try sooner rather than later.

We'll get him onto it at the weekend. I've also been looking into the reviews of Toe by Toe and its looks worthwhile. DS may have missed out early on learning his sounds correctly, due to his poor hearing of soft sounds, which wasn't picked up as an issue until recently.

Grateful for your help. :)
PurpleDuck

Post by PurpleDuck »

You are very welcome, Glow. :) Best of luck!
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now