R.I.P

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

SSINGH77

R.I.P

Post by SSINGH77 »

http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/mi ... -Birm-main" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Today I have read this article about this student who was at a local Grammar School and he committed suicide.

I have found this article very saddening as a child of his age who has the world at his feet has somehow decided that life is not worth living.

Do you think that we as parents put to much pressure on our children to be successful and do Granmar schools put to much pressure on children to get results or is it a combination of both?

Should Grammar schools spend more time with students discussing life and personal issues??

I know they do in Indie Schools but not sure if they do in Grammar School.

It maybe that this has nothing to do with school and academic pressures but it's a eye opener.

I hope no one is offended by this post and I'll apologise before hand.

RIP to this boy and hope his family have the strength to move forward in life.
Last edited by SSINGH77 on Wed Mar 16, 2016 9:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
The World is a Drama Staged in a Dream
PurpleDuck

Re: Pressure of Results. Pressure of life. Pressure from Sch

Post by PurpleDuck »

Very, very sad, whatever pushed this poor lad over the edge...
Last edited by PurpleDuck on Wed Mar 16, 2016 9:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It felt like I hit rock bottom; suddenly, there was knocking from beneath... (anon.)
scary mum

Re: Pressure of Results. Pressure of life. Pressure from Sch

Post by scary mum »

It is very very sad. But the title of this thread implies it was due to pressures from school etc. The pressure on pupils is huge, but we don't know that this was the case here. I think saying RIP would have been enough.
ETA: thanks to whoever changed the title
Last edited by scary mum on Wed Mar 16, 2016 9:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
scary mum
HappyRobot

Re: R.I.P

Post by HappyRobot »

very sad
I don't think this tragic event has anything to do with grammar schooling.
SSINGH77

Post by SSINGH77 »

HappyRobot wrote:very sad
I don't think this tragic event has anything to do with grammar schooling.

Maybe it isn't. But there is a lot of pressure on children in Grammar Schools to be successful. They are at the top and anyone who is slightly below A* A B is probably feeling it. I don't know as my child is yet to start in September but it makes me think that I should always make time to let my children have those chill moments and not get on their case to much.
The World is a Drama Staged in a Dream
SKJ76

Post by SKJ76 »

Devastating...every parents worst nightmare, I agree with the sentiment on this thread, it makes you really think about making sure there is a balance for our DCs
Turtlegirl

Post by Turtlegirl »

Poor lad, and his poor family. So sad.

I agree that we need to work very hard indeed with our kids for them not to feel the pressure. I remember meeting another parent at our first ever Year 7 parents' evening at KEVIHS. He asked how our daughter was doing and I talked about how she was making friends, enjoying the clubs and seemed to like her teachers etc.

I asked about his daughter and he talked about how she was getting 1s (top marks) in all her subjects.

We need to be the kind of parents who encourage our kids to enjoy life all round, not those who seem to only place value on academic success. There is a mental health crisis for young people in this country. We need to work very hard to help our kids not to be caught up in it.
quasimodo

Post by quasimodo »

These situations are always tragic.It is difficult to know the cause or causes as the inquest has just been opened and adjourned and the coroners office will still be investigating the circumstances of this suicide.

I understand for every suicide about 20 people attempt to take their life and it is the second largest cause of death for 15 to 24 year olds.

Life is to be lived and you have to ensure your own children live every moment of it as we have done.The secret is to maintain a sense of perspective and balance in what you do with your children between work and play.It is after all their childhood and we never really studied or it certainly didn't feel like it.
In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years.

Abraham Lincoln
WindowGlass

Post by WindowGlass »

Very very sad, and sorry we(all) or no-one, even as strangers, were unable to avert this for him and his family and friends.

I remember the pressure cooker I largely put myself in at around that age - the kind of negative thoughts that went through my mind at times late at night whilst staying up working on projects or revising. Not even friends or family knew! I'm thankful to have come through it unscathed. I also passed with flying colours. But I sympathise with these youngsters - it can be a difficult and confusing time.
We may never know the cause, but maybe just seeing this will stir some or all of us to be that bit more kind and gracious even generous with the things that really matter?
year102012

Post by year102012 »

I do feel for that boy. It is sad the pressures which myself and my generations are under these days i.e. social media, 'dumming down' of GCSEs etc

Sx
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now