SCGSG class size?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

booellesmum

Re: SCGSG class size?

Post by booellesmum »

Hi,
1. The actual school opens at 8.40 and registration is at 8.50. Lessons end at 3.30 and the girls are out shortly after this.
The dining hall opens earlier in the morning and they do breakfast. I thought it was from 8.00, but DD1 thinks 7.30 so I would double check with the school! (They can go in and not have breakfast) Mine get there about 8.20 as they catch the train.

2. As mine catch the train I have no info about the yellow bus - sorry. I know when DD1 was starting and I looked at the transitional website there was an option to get in contact with other parents from your area so they could have travel buddies.

3. We have always got uniform from Clive Marks or Gogna Schoolwear - if anyone knows anywhere else please let me know!

Clive M. v. Gogna

Blazer 33.00 , 25.00
Jumper 20.25 , 11.50
Blouse 2 packs of 2 33.00 , 32.00
Skirt pleated 14.50 , 14.00
Skirt straight 14.00 , 14.00 (note skirt not allowed to have slit at the back)
White apron(cookery) 4.50 , 5.00
Blue Apron(art and science) 4.50 , 5.00

PE Skort 12.75 , 10.00
Polo shirt 9.00 , 8.00
PE Jumper 12.75 , 10.00
White socks 5.50 , 3.50
Blue socks 5.50 , 5.00

Total CM 169.25 , Gogna 143.00

This is a rough estimate of uniform costs - prices do vary according to size and style.
The school jumper and PE jumper are optional and you could manage without them. DD1 has not worn a school jumper in the 3 years she has been there - they are still hung in wardrobe like brand new - unfortunately still too big for DD2 as she is tiny, but I'm hoping she'll grow into them!!!

PS I did all the costs in neat rows but it won't post like that!!!
First price is CM, second is Gogna. It is worth seeing if the companies are doing package deals which can save a fair bit.

Re:Cookery basket - I bought a lovely one with a cover when DD1 started. Neither of them have used it as it is too uncool and prefer one of my hessian sainsburys shopping bags - other brands are available!
Eagle88

Post by Eagle88 »

Wow - thanks for all this information, how kind!

Do you happen to remember when the new students can access the transition website?
My dd is desperate to get on there :)
booellesmum

Post by booellesmum »

They send out a letter with a code so you can log on. I can't remember exactly when it was sent but have a feeling it was some time in the last half term before the summer. The school office are lovely though so if you don't get something soon call them and just check when it will be sent.
I know the current year 7's were recently doing some stuff to go on there - including interviewing each other!
Eagle88

Post by Eagle88 »

That sounds exciting - thanks, I'll tell her it won't be long now!
booellesmum

Post by booellesmum »

I'm sure she will love it.If it's the same this year they find out what house they are in on induction day in July.
JaneEyre

Post by JaneEyre »

booellesmum wrote:
The school jumper and PE jumper are optional and you could manage without them. DD1 has not worn a school jumper in the 3 years she has been there - they are still hung in wardrobe like brand new - unfortunately still too big for DD2 as she is tiny, but I'm hoping she'll grow into them!!!
DD used to be a pupil at SCGSG ( she has now finished her studies at university ). Like Booellesmum’s DD, I do not think she has made great use of the school jumper as the classrooms are well heated and they wear the blazer so too many layers are too much. So I bought a school jumper for year 7 but never again! :wink:

I also remember having bought meticulously the whole list of items for year 7 but we ended up with shin pads and a mouthguard that my DD has never used. Thankfully, her little brother used them later on. So I would advice you not to buy all the items of the list from A to Z, especially when sport is involved; you will see later on which club your DD will go to or what PE lessons they have and you will buy the items after having been properly informed about the real necessity of buying them.
Similarly, at CHB, my DS do not need absolutely to have a cricket kit so he spent year 7 without one, wearing just the normal sport kit. Later on, once I had learnt where I could buy one at a reasonable price (sportdirect), he started to wear some cricket clothes from then on…
khanji17 wrote: is it worth buying everything from there or are there any cheaper alternatives?
In the time of my DD, it was written on the list of clothes we had to buy that we were allowed to buy the blazer where we want and buy the school badge separately at Clivemark and sew it on (There was no 'Cogna' at that time). That is a bit cheaper; not very very much but it is.
I still do this system for my DS who is at CHB. The blazer I buy is not the same quality than the one I would get from Clivemark but as they grow quickly at this age, I do not need a blazer of great quality which would last for ten years! :wink:Due to growth spurt, I need to buy a new one every two years. :shock: :lol:
booellesmum

Post by booellesmum »

Totally agree JaneEyre with the sports advice - biggest waste of money was the hockey stick and practise ball - which I was told by DD1 was a must -and then went to school a grand total of twice as it was easier to just borrow one from school!
We also bought hockey shin pads that were never worn.
DD2 has taken her cheap football shin pads - but only because she already had them as needed for football in primary.
DD1 has never had a mouthguard. DD2 wanted one - I think slightly paranoid as has an overbite and one tooth protrudes slightly. We got the one sold by Clive Marks(I think it was an Opro shield Bronze)but it was rubbish as wouldn't mold properly and we ended up getting a Makura Ignis Pro from Amazon (after trawling the reviews) which is great.