% in CGP test papers

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Eileen16

% in CGP test papers

Post by Eileen16 »

Hi, my son took the Birmingham exam last Saturday and will be sitting QM, I just wanted to get some advice about his chance's of getting a grammar place. He has been scoring 80-85% in the CGP test Papers. I just thought might give me a rough idea. Thanks
UmSusu

Re: % in CGP test papers

Post by UmSusu »

Eileen16, the scores you report are good and should be reassuring. Beyond that, it is difficult to say as it depends on whether the child transfers that level under the pressure of the real exam.

I have asked around about this too and all I can conclude is that some seem to do better when under the pressure of the real test and others don't. I have heard of those who got similar marks and ended up with really high scores and a case where they got something similar and passed but with a lower score. Even so, from those I have asked, there were cases where they were getting around 15% less than those scores and they got a place at a grammar.

I am afraid I can't reassure you more than that as I myself keep looking at DS3's scores and try to see what it will mean. I think what I learnt from my first two is that just like the exam, expect the unexpected with results - DS1 did terribly in mocks and was not considered to be near the mark but scraped by in the end; DS2 was looking pretty certain to get top marks but missed 24 questions by not turning the page and thinking he had finished - he passed but with nothing like what I had expected. Of course, he didn't tell me he had missed anything until AFTER the results came out.

I would say you have everything to play for. It would be great to get feedback about previous years cohorts and what they scored in the exam compared to the practice papers though.
UmSusu
Eileen16

Post by Eileen16 »

Thanks UmSusu for the reply, just feeling quite anxious now. :(
tiredmama

Post by tiredmama »

Dd used to score around 55-60% on cgp mock test papers and got 211 at KE exam.
"To show me is far better than to lecture everyday.
To lead me is far greater than to just point out the way.
So if you tell me everything then I shall understand,
But rapid streams of words cannot compete with deed of hand[...]"