Walsall,Wolverhampton and Wrekin Consortium Results 2017

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

quasimodo

Re: Walsall,Wolverhampton and Wrekin Consortium Results 2017

Post by quasimodo »

Famfizz wrote:Hi mums I am new in this forum,posting first time my ds got 319 in queen Mary boys .In the letter last year cutt off is 318.I am so nervous is there any chance he will get in?unfortunately he didn't pass birmingham's test due to messing up in nvr section.Opinions please.
This is a nervous and anxious time not helped by the process of discovering if your son has gained a grammar school place.Your son clearly has a chance of a place based on the last two years cut offs.In the first instance make sure its put as the number one choice on your LA form.I am assuming you live in Birmingham and the other school in the Walsall consortium Adams grammar is out of the equation.

I would try and find out his actual score which is to two decimal places by an e mail to the admissions officer at the school.Then once the LA form has been submitted all you can do is wait.In March next year if he does not get an automatic place you will have to find out where he is on the waiting list.Then consider how much the list needs to move as compared to actual movements in the last couple of years to ascertain whether he will get a place from the waiting list.

Good luck and best wishes.
In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years.

Abraham Lincoln
Famfizz

Post by Famfizz »

Thanks Quasimodo for ur response.we live in Tipton and Adam's is too far for me,only hope for me is queen marry as 311 bus goes to Walsall from here.fingers crossed,hope he get in but after nerve wrecking wait till March.
WISE

Post by WISE »

Anyone from Perry Barr/Handsworth has DC travelling to QMGS? How long it normally takes from around birchfield rd to the school by bus at school times?
Pickledonion

Post by Pickledonion »

Have heard the bus travelling from Handsworth Wood is often late / breaks down etc. Know parents who send their DC on the train from Hamstead station. It's then a 10 minute walk to school. If travelling by car is an option, we made it home (to Great Barr / Perry Barr area) from the open day in 15 minutes in rush hour traffic! A pleasant surprise!
quasimodo

Post by quasimodo »

WISE wrote:Anyone from Perry Barr/Handsworth has DC travelling to QMGS? How long it normally takes from around birchfield rd to the school by bus at school times?
I think Pickledonion in his post is referring to the green bus.It appears you are referring to the route along the A34 on which you have the 51 and X51 bus.In respect of the latter which is the express service, at rush hour your actual bus journey should take no longer than 20 to 25 minutes from Birchfield Road and getting off at the five ways Island near the shell petrol station.From there it is a very short 5 minute walk.
There is a train service from Witton to Walsall town center then requiring a a bus journey or a 15 to 20 minute walk.The A34 is your best and quickest route with the X51.
In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years.

Abraham Lincoln
Inspector General

Post by Inspector General »

wolvsparent wrote:Hi inspector General

Although we don't have much info on here for what offers day score was for AGS (lowest recorded on 1st March was 330), several members report getting offered a place at 319/318 in April, so the lowest score could have dropped to below this.

Therefore, for September 2016 entry the score was the same, if not lower than September 2015. This maybe be due to parents being put off by the catchment talk and completely dismissing AGS.

We of course do not know what the qualifying score for catchment are boys.
Hello Wolvesparent

Yes, I heard a similar rumour - if true, it suggests to me that September 2016 year was perhaps an unusual year if the catchment area could mean that the school encompassed an extra 16 local boys and yet the OOA last score remained the same as the previous year (without catchment area). Logic would seem to suggest that in the longer term the OOA score should rise by a few points, although I take your point that parents may have been put off by the introduction of the catchment area - this may not last though! Also Adams is also doing some serious outreach in the local area this year and may be trying to drive up further the number of local boys with a further squeeze on OOA :(

(My guess for the catchment area qualifying score is 309/310, around the 40th percentile). :idea:
Jellyfish

Post by Jellyfish »

I heard that in catchment boys were awarded 20 standardised points .

In honesty the boys I know in catchment who have been strongly encouraged are bright boys.

Also I agree with the heads philosophy of making it a local school. Only 10 boys going from in catchment is shocking!

What disappoints me is the snidey comments on here about how in catchment boys may have scored very low. I can see why they don't publish the results!! Get over it people you can't change it and if you don't like it move, there are PLENTY of new houses being built in Newport.

Good luck to all!
Inspector General

Post by Inspector General »

Jellyfish wrote:I heard that in catchment boys were awarded 20 standardised points .

In honesty the boys I know in catchment who have been strongly encouraged are bright boys.

Also I agree with the heads philosophy of making it a local school. Only 10 boys going from in catchment is shocking!

What disappoints me is the snidey comments on here about how in catchment boys may have scored very low. I can see why they don't publish the results!! Get over it people you can't change it and if you don't like it move, there are PLENTY of new houses being built in Newport.

Good luck to all!
Jellyfish, could you identify what the 'snidey' comments are that 'disappoint' you? I cannot see any snide remarks on this thread - simply speculation on the effects of a catchment area, and its encouragement by the school, on in-catchment and OOA applicants. Clearly there is a degree of preference for in-catchment boys otherwise a catchment area would be entirely ineffective. By definition there are differential standards. (However, this is not to say many Newport boys will not have scored strongly on the test - the point is that they do not need to score as highly as OOA boys in order to secure a place; no one, as far as I can see, has suggested they need only 'score very low' - clearly they need to achieve the demanding threshold 'pass' mark, which I estimate is likely to be around 309/310, although other opinions on this would be welcome). Contributors including myself are merely pointing this out (actually quite dispassionately if you read the comments carefully) and ruminating on the potential effects of this for OOA applicants. I see no problem whatsoever with this (and I hope the moderators do not either) as it will be of interest to many contributors and readers of this forum. Let's not try to stifle debate!

As for the advice to move to one of plenteous new housing developments in Newport and in the process to 'get over it', this is unlikely to be possible or desirable for the majority of parents, as there are many factors at play in deciding where to live not just schools (including affordability of housing), as the Headmaster of Adams Grammar pointed out in his response to the Consultation on his catchment area proposal 18 months ago (http://www.adamsgs.org.uk/wp-content/up ... letter.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;).
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now