Reviving advice on filling in CAF

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
ToadMum

Re: Reviving advice on filling in CAF

Post by ToadMum »

Ricky74 wrote:Twin 1 has not met the qualifying score for BV (he has 201) and the QS is 204.
But am I right in thinking the only way to appeal is to put this first on my CAF and then rejected (even though we won't be added to WL)

In other words, can we appeal without putting it on the CAF form?

Thanks (Twin 2 much easier to sort!)
That is the best way to do it - you should be be informed of your right to appeal when you get the results of your school application, and of the process / timescale etc.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Ricky74

Post by Ricky74 »

Ricky74 wrote:Twin 1 has not met the qualifying score for BV (he has 201) and the QS is 204.
But am I right in thinking the only way to appeal is to put this first on my CAF and then rejected (even though we won't be added to WL)

However, with Twin 2 safely going to QM we would prefer to send Twin 1 there. He got 313, but not met the cut off. So should I put QM first then BV assuming he will get rejected from both? He stands a better chance at QM if it goes to appeal and I don't want to jeopardise any chance there if we put BV (which would be a real long shot on appeal).
However, we might want to appeal Twin 1 for BV at a later date. As he's guaranteed QM but only got 210 for Birmingham can I safely put BV first and then QM, knowing BV will be rejected? Again, don't want to jeopardise QM. tried to lay it out (excuse format)

Twin 1 (score 201 Bham 313 QM) Twin 2 (score 210 Bham and 35o QM)
BV (will be rejected and on w/l)
QM (accepted)
then Handsworth or Aston plus 3 local comps
QM (will be rejected, on w/l)
BV (rejected, no waiting list - can we appeal?)
Handsworth or Aston? (rejected, w/l)
3 locals
Ricky74

Post by Ricky74 »

Ricky74 wrote:

However, with Twin 2 safely going to QM we would prefer to send Twin 1 there. He got 313, but not met the cut off. So should I put QM first then BV assuming he will get rejected from both? He stands a better chance at QM if it goes to appeal and I don't want to jeopardise any chance there if we put BV (which would be a real long shot on appeal).
However, we might want to appeal Twin 1 for BV at a later date. As he's guaranteed QM but only got 210 for Birmingham can I safely put BV first and then QM, knowing BV will be rejected? Again, don't want to jeopardise QM. tried to lay it out (excuse format)

Twin 1 (score 201 Bham 313 QM) Twin 2 (score 210 Bham and 35o QM)
BV (will be rejected and on w/l)
QM (accepted)
then Handsworth or Aston plus 3 local comps
QM (will be rejected, on w/l)
BV (rejected, no waiting list - can we appeal?)
Handsworth or Aston? (rejected, w/l)
3 locals

Sorry, Layout did not work:
Twin 1 (score 201 bham and 313 walsall)
QM (will be rejected and put on w/l)
BV (rejected, no waiting list - can we still appeal?) Do we need to list this school in order to appeal, even though we don't meet QS?
Handsworth or Aston (rejected, w/l)
3 local comps

Twin 2 (score 210 bham, 350 walsall)
BV (will be rejected, put on w/l)
QM (will be accepted. Don't want to jeopardise this by putting BV first but assume we have to be rejected from BV to go on w/l and if we put QM 1st, we won't go on list
handsworth or Aston (rejected, w/l)
3 local comps
Ricky74

Post by Ricky74 »

I think I scared people off... but think I have order sorted.

However Bham admissions booklet states if you have applied for any schools outside Bham that LA will be informedof yr order. We want Vesey 1st then QM second. we know at 210 we will get placed on BV list and at 350 will be offered QM. We have to list it that way round to go on BV waiting list. But scared QM will see we only pyt them 2nd and he wont get place!
Ricky74

Post by Ricky74 »

Ricky74 wrote:I think I scared people off... but think I have order sorted.

However Bham admissions booklet states if you have applied for any schools outside Bham that LA will be informedof yr order. We want Vesey 1st then QM second. we know at 210 we will get placed on BV list and at 350 will be offered QM. We have to list it that way round to go on BV waiting list. But scared QM will see we only pyt them 2nd and he wont get place!

Just called Birmingham admissions to check that if I put BV and then QM if QM will be told that they would be 'second' choice (this isn't the case, we love the school, but need to at least go on BV waiting list, hence first). I was disappointed that the adviser didn't have a clue. She said "ooh I don't think they'll mind being second" when I pointed out that BCC's own admissions guide states that other LAs will receive the form, she went off for advice. Came back to say yes the form will go to Walsall and they will see QM is second but it still won't matter. She actually said I don't even need to put BV down, that I can get added to a waiting list later (I find this hard to comprehend as we may appeal this place at some point -we want to give ourselves options - so surely this must go on the CAF).

I'm confused and running out of time and I apologise for multiple posts. It's just we a) need to go on a BV waiting list but b) we love QM and don't want to lose the chance we have been given, and what a chance it is. we feel so blessed to have this opportunity and don't want to screw it up. I fear that admissions and CAFs are fine if you are applying for comps!
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

QM might well see that you have put them second (although I don't think it works like that in practice as the application goes to the Council, not the actual school) but more importantly, it doesn't matter as they run an equal preference system and it is the Admissions service that allocate the places on the schools behalf - (fundamentally it is NOT in the schools admissions policy that you have to list it first therefore they cannot insist on that, if you see what I mean)

As for the BV question - I am sure there is a way of asking to be added to any school's waiting list after Allocations Day - there must be a system for example for someone very late into the area sitting the test and then being added to the waiting list. However, by putting BV on your CAF you are "invoking" automatic addition to the waiting list - you are identifying that you are not a late applicant etc and you are giving yourself that (admittedly very small chance) that your child might be offered in the first round after all. In some counties there are only 3 choices on the CAF so there isn't space for any "wasted" listings - in Birmingham you have lots...
Ricky74

Post by Ricky74 »

kenyancowgirl wrote:QM might well see that you have put them second (although I don't think it works like that in practice as the application goes to the Council, not the actual school) but more importantly, it doesn't matter as they run an equal preference system and it is the Admissions service that allocate the places on the schools behalf - (fundamentally it is NOT in the schools admissions policy that you have to list it first therefore they cannot insist on that, if you see what I mean)

As for the BV question - I am sure there is a way of asking to be added to any school's waiting list after Allocations Day - there must be a system for example for someone very late into the area sitting the test and then being added to the waiting list. However, by putting BV on your CAF you are "invoking" automatic addition to the waiting list - you are identifying that you are not a late applicant etc and you are giving yourself that (admittedly very small chance) that your child might be offered in the first round after all. In some counties there are only 3 choices on the CAF so there isn't space for any "wasted" listings - in Birmingham you have lots...

Thanks for the reply. I'm going to stick to my original plan of BV first then QM. I really appreciate the response - this website has been such a great find for me and I want to thank everybody for their input and to the moderators for your brilliant work!
WISE

Post by WISE »

Hi

I tried to register on the Birmingham CAF website but it keeps saying Username/password authentication failed. I tried all sorts of passwords for an hour...what special character they want in password?

https://eadmissions.birmingham.gov.uk/l ... cision.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Not sure whats wrong.

Anyone else having this problem?
rb1

Post by rb1 »

WISE wrote:Hi

I tried to register on the Birmingham CAF website but it keeps saying Username/password authentication failed. I tried all sorts of passwords for an hour...what special character they want in password?

https://eadmissions.birmingham.gov.uk/l ... cision.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Not sure whats wrong.

I had an issue with this and think a few others I have spoken to have also, as not the most user friendly. Think it was clearer on the password, although some special characters are not recognised, but I couldn't sort and called them, and it was my username. It says must use alphanumeric characters, but didn't say must contain BOTH letters and numbers. This is where I was going wrong at the time anyway as I thought it must be the password I was not getting right......just in case helps. Went through straight away with my password when I added a 1 at the end of the username.
Ricky74

Post by Ricky74 »

WISE wrote:Hi

Not sure whats wrong.

I filled out mine for one about an hour ago. so for a password I went for letters (caps and lowercase) numbers and a special character - i.e. an exclamation mark.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now