Bishop VESEY PAN

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

UmSusu

Bishop VESEY PAN

Post by UmSusu »

Would I be correct that the PAN for BV in previous years was 125? As this year it says 160?
UmSusu
Plazaplus

Re: Bishop VESEY PAN

Post by Plazaplus »

No it was changed for this years Sep 2016 entry to 160. They added a new house "purple" which contains the PP boys.
Petitpois

Post by Petitpois »

128 is the number I believe. I think Workethic mentioned that the PAN had been increased this year by 20%. I can't find definitive evidence of whether the PAN has increased to 160 this year (it is 160, but I don't know if it was 160 last year), but it was 128 in 2014.

If the extra places are for this year, people should not be overly worried about changes in the cut off scores as a result of PP introduction (other than all the other usual uncertainties, that are well documented and discussed on this forum).

In previous years they introduced the extra places the year before, so you got a dip in cut offs and then a rebound as pupil premium was introduced the following year. If its all being done at once, that would help with the stability of the cut offs and 220-222, might not be so unrealistic this year
ABN

Post by ABN »

Hi ,yes u r right !
Check this link https://birminghamgrammarschools.org/Ad ... eaflet.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Petitpois

Post by Petitpois »

A little bit of digging gets you here which shows the PAN last year and this year. So BV had 160 places last year. That means the 32 places being set aside for PP, most likely will push up cut offs for 2017. DYOR of course, but this is what happened when the same approach was used for the others.

The effect was about 4-5 points if I recall and that explains people suggesting 225/226 to be safe, on here.

https://www.birmingham.gov.uk/downloads ... 16_to_2017" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
UmSusu

Post by UmSusu »

Thanks!

I did see something for 2014 where it 125, but wasn't sure if 2016 was the first year of increased PAN or it had been introduced before.
UmSusu
den1819

Post by den1819 »

Hello,

Can anyone take an educated guess as to what the cut off score for a pp child might be for bv? I know it's their first year for pp, but do you think it could be similar to KEA?

Thank you
reeyah

Post by reeyah »

Hi Umsusu!

Am I right in thinking I may see you at the gates of KEAS?!!

Reeyah :)
JaneEyre

Post by JaneEyre »

reeyah wrote:Reeyah :)
Oh gosh, Reeyah, it is so nice to read you after all these years!! I hope that your son's health is fine now and that the bullying is over for several years now! Your son is a little hero in my mind and I nearly mentionned his courage recently.
Wishing him all the best for his GCSEs! :wink:
Last edited by JaneEyre on Mon Oct 17, 2016 11:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Petitpois

Post by Petitpois »

den1819 wrote:Hello,

Can anyone take an educated guess as to what the cut off score for a pp child might be for bv? I know it's their first year for pp, but do you think it could be similar to KEA?

Thank you
When the others introduced PP, they didn't fill up the full compliment on the first year. So my (I am not sure it qualifies as educated) guess is this year will be the same for BV. Implications of that for me are (but always DYOR)

1) Likely PP cut off will be the same as the qualifying score as not all pupil premium places will be taken up
2) If not all PP places are taken up, then this reduces upward pressure on the main cut off. Example say BV get 20 PP applications for places with scores ranging from 230 - 209 (or whatever the qualifying score is), then the remaining unclaimed places are released to the main waiting list (thus lowering the cut off).

If pupil premium was 100% taken up this year, then that scenario would most likely feed into the scenario where the BV cut off pushes up towards the 226 people have been suggesting.

Problem with all this is it's utterly impossible to know what the pattern of applications will be and the mix of socio demographics. If no one on pupil premium applies, there could other things equal be a fairly limited impact on the main cut off's and 222 or something could get you in.

But I will stick with my guess, that something like 50% of places will go to pupil premium and that will suppress the extent of any rise in the main cut off's