Views on Handsworth Grammar

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
GuidingStar

Re: Views on Handsworth Grammar

Post by GuidingStar »

This is a true comparison between two brothers attending KE and HGS:

Elder brother: attended KEA, got 6 A*/A, few Bs, read engineering at mid-ranking Uni. Now school teacher.

Younger brother: attended HGS, got 11 A*/A, now reading Medicine at Edinburgh uni.

TBH, most grammar schools are very similar in terms of teachers, facilities and opportunities, very little difference. Whatever difference in their grades and ranking at GCSE/a levels is mainly due to the cohort of students, not the school itself. I know students attending in almost all grammar schools in Birmingham and Walsall, many have done very well, few havenot benifited at all from these schools. Some performed worse than average comprehensive school kids. Such failures happened at KE, HGS and QM regardless, even at KES indie.

Once a DC starts at the school it's mainly up to himself and his family to make the most out of it. Merely attending a reputable top school will not make the grades. From my experience it is what he does at home is far more important than what he does at the school.

Finally, those who spreading negativity about HGS or any other schools, you are either ungrateful or snobs. Don't blame the school for failures of you as a parent or your lazy kid. I know students from the worst ranked schools going to Oxbridge and reading top subjects like medicine and law. Home is more important than school, no matter what school it is.
sky55

Post by sky55 »

Well said GuidingStar. I completely agree with you.
Shnshn

Post by Shnshn »

Penguin Mom wrote:Thanks to all for the responses here, really useful and reassuring for us. As we live mid-way between Dudley and Wolverhampton and having nothing locally for boys, we are having to think carefully about commuting times for our DS.

His scores were KE 252 and Walsall 374 so we are aware we are very fortunate in terms of choice of school, however more limited in terms of distance.

Due to this our CAF is currently: 1) HGS 2) QM 3) Local Comp

Reading your posts has satisfied us we are making a good choice for our DS, we have no personal/family experience of any of the boys' schools, but did like all of those we visited.

On the subject of travel, a question to current HGS parents......is there any form of 'travel buddy' system organised by the school as I have heard of elsewhere? DS would be the only child from his primary and would be travelling on the Metro. It would mean a lot for him to be able to link up with another child, and not necessarily in the same year group.

On the first meeting at the school, we were invited with all parents from our area, this was so that parents could get to know eachother and arrange car share etc. This was a good idea i think.
helen0209

Post by helen0209 »

Shnshn wrote:
Penguin Mom wrote:Thanks to all for the responses here, really useful and reassuring for us. As we live mid-way between Dudley and Wolverhampton and having nothing locally for boys, we are having to think carefully about commuting times for our DS.

His scores were KE 252 and Walsall 374 so we are aware we are very fortunate in terms of choice of school, however more limited in terms of distance.

Reading your posts has satisfied us we are making a good choice for our DS, we have no personal/family experience of any of the boys' schools, but did like all of those we visited.

On the subject of travel, a question to current HGS parents......is there any form of 'travel buddy' system organised by the school as I have heard of elsewhere? DS would be the only child from his primary and would be travelling on the Metro. It would mean a lot for him to be able to link up with another child, and not necessarily in the same year group.

On the first meeting at the school, we were invited with all parents from our area, this was so that parents could get to know eachother and arrange car share etc. This was a good idea i think.
There are none that I know of, but there is now a PTA at the school, so it may be worth e-mailing them and they may be able to set something up? I'm unsure of the address, but sure if you call the school they could let you know. A lot of the boys there are the only ones from their respective primary schools, but do understand your concerns about travelling alone.
sky111

Post by sky111 »

From the HGS website, impressive results.

A Level Results 2016

Posted on August 19, 2016

Handsworth Grammar School achieves best A Level Results in over a decade!

2016 has seen the number of top A Level grades awarded fall for the fifth year in a row at a national level. HGS has bucked the trend somewhat! A third of all entries were at A*/A (30% compared to 24% in 2015) and approximately two thirds of all entries were at A*/B (62% compared to 52% in 2015). There was a 100% pass rate compared to 99% in 2015. This is a wonderful achievement which reflects very well on the hard work of our students and staff. Eleven students secured 3 or more A*/A grades
Plazaplus

Post by Plazaplus »

Didn't HGS out perform BVGS and KEA last year? I'm sure I read that somewhere. Any way my DS is in year 10 at BVGS and I actually placed HGS above BVGS in his preferred list but alas at that time the test for HGS was separate from the consortium tests and we missed out. We live in Handsworth and his primary school was one of the Trojan horse schools. We didn't know that 11+ tuition existed and we certainly didn't know there was more than one test. I was shocked when he told me that he was the only boy in his class at BVGS who hadn't had any tuition prior to the test.
Getting back on topic we live halfway between HGS and KEA and locally KEA has always been seen as being the better school, but if GCSE results are similar, then about location HGS must be seen as being the better option. There are lots of busses that run every few minutes on the main Soho Road(few minutes walk to school) also there is a metro stop nearby. From bus stop to school there is a bank and a temple which are well covered with cameras. Also there is a Greggs by the bus stop. I mention this as KEA is at least a mile from the nearest bus stop. There are dedicated buses for the school but after school clubs might cause a problem.
crazycrofter

Post by crazycrofter »

Penguin Mum - we're at the very end of the Green Bus route so while we might try it at first, I think eventually I'd rather ds took the train into New St and then the metro out as it will be quicker. Would your son be getting off at the same stop (but from the other direction)? If so, they could at least do the walk to/from school together! I'm sure there must be others that take the metro in both directions? I'm hoping so. My daughter walks to University Station from KEHS with her best friend, although they take trains in opposite directions, and she loves that bit of the day.
Shnshn

Post by Shnshn »

Just wanted to add as this migt be helpful to some people.
HGS does let children in at 7.30am, i know this as a mother of another child in the school, drops her son off at 7.30am so she can make it to work on time, the school allows the boys to wait inside the building, somewhere safe and better than waiting outside. The canteen opens from 8am where boys usually wait until school starts. She did say that she clarified this with the school and they cater for the parents who have to drop children off earlier, there were about 25-30 boys that arrive early.
Also after school they are able to use the school library, im not too sure on the timings for that if its 4pm or later.
crazycrofter

Post by crazycrofter »

We did a tour today and came away very reassured. Even ds, who was very negative when we arrived, was won over. He just wishes it could be relocated to a different area, but then he was really keen on the semi rural location of Five Ways! I thought it compared very favourably to Aston actually, which I found a bit drab and scruffy. The library, sixth form block and canteen are all very smart at Handsworth. I just hope the cut offs don't shoot up!
Penguin Mom

Post by Penguin Mom »

Thanks Shnshn, Helen0209 and crazycrofter for your replies. I will try emailing the PTA and I am sure things will become clearer after 1st March once meetings, communications etc begins.

I guess there must be a good number of pupils using the metro, approaching the Winson Green stop from both directions so they are sure to have company for that last short stretch of the journey. Thanks, we can message and organise nearer the time.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now