Go to navigation
It is currently Sat Dec 10, 2016 8:51 am

All times are UTC




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: waiting list query help
PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 8:51 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Sep 16, 2014 12:05 pm
Posts: 80
Hi

before I send in my CAF can anyone help with a waiting list query please?.

If offered my DD's 2nd choice school on her CAF on 1st march but we then reject that and accept an independent school place can she still go on the waiting list for her CAF 1st choice school?

Or having accepted a private school place does she then lose the option of being on the waiting list for her 1st choice CAF school?

she has a score of 234 and was really hoping for CHG so it's a bit touch and go on last years score and wondering if this years last entered score will rise?

Many thanks for any help
xx


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 12:52 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Jul 27, 2015 6:44 am
Posts: 488
Hi,
Good question. I have no personal experience but from what I have gathered on here most people in that situation do not reject the 2nd school. They accept the indie offer but keep the grammar offer as well. Hedging their bets. This explains why there is often a lot of wait list movement later on when grammar places are freed up.
It would be worth asking the LEA at that point if you could stay on W/L for choice 1 if you give up choice 2 as this would be fairer on those on W/L for your second choice.
Sure someone will have better advice though soon - and at least I've bumped your query!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 1:06 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Sep 16, 2014 12:05 pm
Posts: 80
Thank you.
That seems totally unfair to hold onto the 2nd choice but accept an indie place as well. I don't think I could do that unless advised to by the LEA to do so to keep on the waiting list for choice 1.
At the moment it's theoretical as the indie offers haven't been sent yet and I don't know whether my daughter will be offered her 1st or 2nd choice on the CAF. She is guaranteed her 2nd choice grammar as Warwickshire give the rank as well as her score but the distance puts us off choice 2 and if offered our local indie that looks quite an attractive option. Although if offered her 1st choice grammar that's even better. She's currently 1 mark off last years cut off on 1st March. Decisions to be made depending what happens on 1st March.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 1:13 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Jul 02, 2015 6:44 am
Posts: 1425
We had offer from KEHS and it did not affect KEVIHS.

Just take the second place offer and do nothing. You will be on the waiting list automatically for your first preference CHG

If you don't get your first pref CHG?? Then take the place at the indie. If you get CHG at some point, then you have a choice to make. How may this play out??

I think your likely to get a place off waiting list. Your less helpful scenario is the wait for CHG goes on so long that you have to stump up a deposit for the indie to secure the place. Hopefully you won't have a long summer wait, which could be the case if CHG goes up to say 238 or similar.

Hope that helps your thinking, but 232 was 8 or ninth and about 4 weeks wait this year ie I am sure it was offered by early April


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 1:21 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Jul 02, 2015 6:44 am
Posts: 1425
BTW you don't have to put a second choice down if you don't want, but you should. That way you would simply be either offered CHG or on the waiting list. Don't cloud your options by considering others, that is for them to worry about. I kept hold of my 3rd place offer at WGHS for as long as I possibly could and only gave up when forced to do so and I had exhausted very other option and KEVIHS offer was written in stone


Last edited by Petitpois on Mon Oct 17, 2016 1:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 1:24 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Jul 27, 2015 6:44 am
Posts: 488
I agree.
Some pay the deposit to secure indie but keep on W/L for grammar.
If they then get the grammar offer they accept it. It is cheaper in the long term to lose a deposit than pay 5 years of fees.
Hope it all works out for you.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 1:26 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Sep 16, 2014 12:05 pm
Posts: 80
Thanks petitpois and booellesmum
I think I'm in danger of overthinking all this! My husband and I did think it might come to having to accept an indie place and pay a deposit to secure but then if offered chg it is worth losing the deposit over 7 yrs fees! we wondered if there becomes a point you are obliged to pay the 1st terms fees as well ie if we had a late summer offer from CHG would we have to pay the 1st terms fees for the indie?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 1:35 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Sep 29, 2016 9:50 pm
Posts: 7
Hi all, my dd has come out with a score of 205. The qualifying score is 200. Do you think she will be able to get a place, she is pupil premium. Have any other parents here (pp) had any success with KEFW with a similar score? Also, I hear there is also a pp waiting list. I phoned up KE foundation office this morning and was told that if this was last year, she would not have gained a place.. What are the chances? Also, does cut off score of 210 necessarily mean that no one below that got in? Do all pp places really get filled?
Thanks in advance!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 1:44 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Jul 27, 2015 6:44 am
Posts: 488
bagofchips wrote:
Hi all, my dd has come out with a score of 205. The qualifying score is 200. Do you think she will be able to get a place, she is pupil premium. Have any other parents here (pp) had any success with KEFW with a similar score? Also, I hear there is also a pp waiting list. I phoned up KE foundation office this morning and was told that if this was last year, she would not have gained a place.. What are the chances? Also, does cut off score of 210 necessarily mean that no one below that got in? Do all pp places really get filled?
Thanks in advance!


First well done to your DD.
The final offers will always go below the cut off on 1st March offers day as girls are offered places from the wait list.
It is really difficult to say if you will get a place but you do have nothing to lose by putting it down and having a comp as back up.
If you are not offered a place on offers day you can call the LEA who will tell you your DDs wait list position. This will give you a clearer idea of if it is likely.
Good luck.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 1:45 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Jul 02, 2015 6:44 am
Posts: 1425
There will be forms I think the deposit is a few weeks after 1/3 and then at some point later you commit to the first terms fees.

The worst case scenario is your 4 or 5 points from the main cut off and then end up not getting a CHG offer till first week of term. That scenario mean you will have paid the fees for first term in advance.

I am certain rejecting that 2nd place, would have happened by this point, but it would still have no effect on your position in the waiting list for CHG.

You would have received all the data forms from the second school and when you didn't fill them in, the admissions officer would be chasing you down to send them back. At some point they will play hard ball and say unless we heard from you by x point you will lose the place. So that happens and then your left on the waiting list for CHG and being chased down by the Indie for the first terms fees.

So you prevaricate as long as you possibly can, hoping for the call from CHG, until there comes a point where you either let the indie go and hope for good news from CHG or its £3500 insurance policy and the first term at the indie before moving to CHG.

Me being me, I would play the system. I would confirm my place at the second choice and then when it got to the point above I you would have the option of of the Indie or your second place. Messes people about sure, but that is not your primary concern.


Just a personal opinion, but you sure that KEVIHS or Five Ways isn't an option. They are great. If I had the money I would pay for KEHS, but its less binary for me re CHG or any of the freebie grammars.

With 234 I don't think it will play out this extreme but there is a distinct possibility for sure.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: MSNbot Media and 4 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
CALL 020 8204 5060
   
Privacy Policy | Refund Policy | Disclaimer | Copyright © 2004 – 2016