Solihull primary schools

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
aquafina

Solihull primary schools

Post by aquafina »

Hello, I was wondering if any Solihull parents could provide us with some advice.

We're considering moving to the Solihull area, (possibly Shirley or surrounding areas), and would like some opinions on what are the best primary schools / areas to consider. DS will be starting year 2, and was wondering if anyone could give us some pointers on what to think about.

We would be renting initially so are flexible in terms of being able to move in the future, so are not worried about the secondary school catchment area.

I understand that a lot of schools will be full, as we are applying out of cycle, but nevertheless would like to know which would be the best ones to aim for? We would prefer a school which is more traditional in their approach and de-emphasises the use of technology. Also which areas are close to parks / woodlands etc.

Also, does anyone have any experience of in year admissions and have any pointers with regard to the process?

Thanks.
ToadMum

Re: Solihull primary schools

Post by ToadMum »

aquafina wrote:Hello, I was wondering if any Solihull parents could provide us with some advice.

We're considering moving to the Solihull area, (possibly Shirley or surrounding areas), and would like some opinions on what are the best primary schools / areas to consider. DS will be starting year 2, and was wondering if anyone could give us some pointers on what to think about.

We would be renting initially so are flexible in terms of being able to move in the future, so are not worried about the secondary school catchment area.

I understand that a lot of schools will be full, as we are applying out of cycle, but nevertheless would like to know which would be the best ones to aim for? We would prefer a school which is more traditional in their approach and de-emphasises the use of technology. Also which areas are close to parks / woodlands etc.

Also, does anyone have any experience of in year admissions and have any pointers with regard to the process?

Thanks.
I can't help you with regard to what the primary school are like in Solihull, I'm afraid, but the information about in year (and normal round, via the menu ) admissions can be found here

http://www.solihull.gov.uk/Resident/Sch ... angeschool
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
solimum

Post by solimum »

As luck would have it there is actually an infants school called "Woodlands" http://www.woodlands-inf.solihull.sch.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; although I have no idea whether it lives up to the name! Solihull is known as "Urbs in Rure" and is fairly leafy though - the only way is to spy out your area on Google maps or similar. There's a list of all the schools here http://www.solihull.gov.uk/Resident/Sch ... nd-primary" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and maybe cut down to a smaller number to visit in conjunction with finding an area with the kind of properties you are looking at to rent/buy (given that ideally you wouldn't want to move the children away or have a much longer journey later). Solihull primaries are still generally well regarded I believe - I notice looking through the list there are quite a lot of smaller one-form entry schools as well as several larger
imranb

Post by imranb »

Year 2 would place your child in an Infant School. Cranmore Infant, Streetsbrook Infant and Blossomfield Infant are all rated ‘Outstanding’ by Ofsted and I can vouch for these schools myself as both my sons have been to these and are truly excellent.

For Junior schools (Yr 3 to 6) – I would recommend Shirley Heath or Sharman’s Cross – again both excellent schools.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Remember that year 2 being Infants, schools will be bound by Infant Class Size legislation (i.e. they cannot take class size over 30 in anything other than exceptional circumstances), so it might be a good idea to speak to the LA about the likelihood of places being available before pinning your hopes on a particular school.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
nervousmom

Post by nervousmom »

There are a number of schools around Shirley area, other than those already mentioned, you have Dickens Heath school in Dickens Heath, Tidbury Green school and St Patricks C of E. Cheswick Green has one too. There is also Our Lady of The Wayside Roman Catholic (this is the school mine have attended and do attend - very good school)

Secondary schools - Light Hall school, Tudor Grange, Alderbrook, St Peters Catholic school. (There are others, but these are the ones that would cover the Shirley area)
timothylewin

Post by timothylewin »

haver you considered Eversfield and or Ruckleigh schools?
aquafina

Post by aquafina »

Thank you for the replies received so far.

We would only be able to consider state primaries in Solihull, but thanks for your suggestion.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now