results

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

TraineeDad

Post by TraineeDad »

If you'd ask me a few weeks ago how would you feel to be able to choose between KES and Camp Hill - I'd say it would be a great position to be in. However I really don't feel like it at the moment. I'm begining to wish he hadn't got into 1 of them

I listen to 1 parent who says send him to KES then another says the opposite

I've managed get a visit to Camp Hill on Wednesday now, as my son will be back from his school trip by then. I am then going to see KES again with him straight afterwards. Hopefully my son will be able to choose whichever school "feels right" for him.

TraineeDad :? :? :?
KES Parent

Post by KES Parent »

TraineeDad wrote:If you'd ask me a few weeks ago how would you feel to be able to choose between KES and Camp Hill - I'd say it would be a great position to be in. However I really don't feel like it at the moment. I'm begining to wish he hadn't got into 1 of them

I listen to 1 parent who says send him to KES then another says the opposite

I've managed get a visit to Camp Hill on Wednesday now, as my son will be back from his school trip by then. I am then going to see KES again with him straight afterwards. Hopefully my son will be able to choose whichever school "feels right" for him.

TraineeDad :? :? :?
Whatever you all decide, you will feel sick once you have posted off the final decision and it becomes irrevocable. Don't worry about this feeling and think you've made the wrong choice - you will either be panicking about the money you've got to find or about having turned down a school like KES. Wish I could help you but I know I can't. :roll:
kegs dad 2

Post by kegs dad 2 »

Hi all,
Thanks for all your views, information.

Love the picture mm2!

Glad to know we all feel the same!

Kechog, I identify with you completely, having a son already at CH tugs at my heart-strings, the loyalty you feel, the pride in such a fantastic school, the thought that the boys, ( in my case! ) could travel together, the whole transition would be so much easier!

However, although very familiar with CH, I have not been inside Kes, DH has done all that while I have been with younger sibling.Therefore, I am not the best qualified person to advise son!

Dh marginally favours Kes, while I marginally favour CH. Poor son totally confused, changes mind hourly! Adamant he does not want to revisit either school. Ultimately it will be sons choice, but is he really mature enough to decide when guided by parents who can't agree?!

We have said that we will both be happy with whichever one he chooses ,( one of us will be a little happier!)
Any other parents as bad as us?!

How's it going mm2, Trainee dad?

Confused and tired Kegs mom2.

P.s mm2, Mr Darby said the independent school he is moving to will be a
new challenge for him as it is co-educational!
mh1

Post by mh1 »

Hi everyone

The birmingham site is vey vibrant and its a pleasure to know that many children have achieved the desired outcome.

A huge well done to all the children that have secured the opportunity to study at KEGs.

Also a huge well done to all the children who tried their utmost but were not offered a place- I'm sure they'll contribute to any school they attend.

My nephew whom I prepared (or attempted to prepare) for the KEG belongs to the latter statement but manage a place at Handsworth Grammer. Certainly I am very pleased with him and very grateful for this opportunity.

However I feel that I've failed in equipping him for the KEG, something that I want to address for this immediate year as I'm preparing another nephew.

The method pf preparation I've used is the Bond and NFer papers. - 3hrs on the weekend. For the older nephew the lessons commenced in Jan 07.

I'm sure their is room for improvement in the best approach for preparation and for this purpose can you give me guidance.

Also should I contemplate on sending the younger nephew to an established tutor or continue myself ( I am educated upto degree level).

Please contribute to the reponses.
serialtester

Post by serialtester »

mh1 wrote:

The method pf preparation I've used is the Bond and NFer papers. - 3hrs on the weekend. For the older nephew the lessons commenced in Jan 07.

I'm sure their is room for improvement in the best approach for preparation and for this purpose can you give me guidance.

Also should I contemplate on sending the younger nephew to an established tutor or continue myself ( I am educated upto degree level).

Please contribute to the reponses.
We did the bond and NFER papers (and I am using them with my other children).

What I did was get my kids to do a paper under 'exam' conditions and get a score. I was then able to see what area's needed a little tweaking.

Then we forgot about papers for a while and worked on maths and english...for example encouraging them to 'think out of the box' and apply knowledge in creative ways (wrt maths) and extending vocabulary and encouraging them to read widely for english.

Then, in about october we went back to the practice papers and talked about exam technique, timing etc...

It's seemed to work for daughter number 1...and I'll have to see if it helps daughter number 2 next year!

I did an hour, hour and a halfish max on a sunday morning.
confusedmom

Post by confusedmom »

Dear fm congratulations to you both!
Well done !
mh1

Post by mh1 »

Thanks for the response serial tester.

I suppose theres no 'magic' answer but many sensible approaches that can be pursued.

Maths VR and NVR are my personal strong points and hopefully I can relay the same to younger nephew.

Engish though its a different story.

I am interested in your response esp ''for example encouraging them to 'think out of the box' and apply knowledge in creative ways (wrt maths) and extending vocabulary and encouraging them to read widely for english. ''

Whats english books would you recommend? Also can you briefly explain whta you mean by thinking out of the box and creative applications?

Thanks
mm2

Post by mm2 »

hi all,
sorry haven't been logging in recently as life has finally caught up with me.

Kegs mom2 and trainee dad - I have slept less this week than any time leading upto exams or results.
How silly is that.
Son leaning towards KES but that may be because that offer has been on the table for longer and we were bigging it up for him and us , to prepare for the fact that may not be successful for camphill.
Going round and round in circle , but we(the parents0 are now favouring camphill. The trick is to convince him it is his decision . Any tips on that task would be appreciated.
Hey ho , probably change my mind as soon as logged off.

school run now , speak later.
kegs dad 2

Post by kegs dad 2 »

Hi mm2,
Did you get chance to read my earlier post today?
Luckily you as parents agree, dh and I have differences of opinion - not good!
I feel quite emotional about it all- a bit like the baby blues- that can't be right can it?
Probably because son seems to be leaning towards dh opinion!
Camp Hill is an absolutely fantastic school, we would be the first to sing its praises, we have no negative experiences, if we hadn't had the Kes offer, our acceptance would have been signed and hand-delivered upon receipt! I would be euphoric instead of :cry:
Also got to do school run now for younger sibling, then back later to collect no 3 from cricket club!
Hopefully talk in a bit, got any more cake?( sorry not mastered the picture thing yet, I will one day!)

very stressed kegs mom 2
KES Parent

Post by KES Parent »

Sorry, me interfering again, probably doesn't help you at all. My son was completely smitten with Camp Hill when we looked round, and had he got a place he would definitely have gone there. From what I gather it is also more convenient for you geographically, as well as having older boys there and no fees to pay. If I were you I wouldn't hesitate - you know the school and you know how good it is. KES is brilliant, of course, but from an objective point of view, with everything weighed in the balance, in your position I would be going for Camp Hill.