results

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
kegs dad 2

Post by kegs dad 2 »

Hi Kes Parent,
Thank you for your reply, I value your input!
To complicate matters, the travelling is about the same for both schools. To complicate matters further, money is not an issue, not because we are rich (if only!) but because son has an Assisted Place!
The dilemma rumbles on!
Kegs mom 2 :roll:
KES Parent

Post by KES Parent »

kegs dad 2 wrote:Hi Kes Parent,
Thank you for your reply, I value your input!
To complicate matters, the travelling is about the same for both schools. To complicate matters further, money is not an issue, not because we are rich (if only!) but because son has an Assisted Place!
The dilemma rumbles on!
Kegs mom 2 :roll:
Oh, dear, I can't help you there then. Except to remind you that if you suddenly got a lot richer for some reason the proportion of the fees you would be asked to pay on an assisted place would go up, so you might not benefit from a promotion or a better job. But I admit, if I was in your position and was confident of not having to pay anything throughout DS's school career then I would change my mind and go for KES!!
KECHOG

Post by KECHOG »

Hi Kegs Mom2

I can't believe there is someone else like me. I, too, have never felt so emotional about anything, except as you say the baby blues!
I think we have started to sway to KEHS, because thinking youngest daughter would maybe in sister's shadow, going to 'sister's school', doing all the things sister has already done. Although as you say would be very convenient for them travelling together and having same holidays.
Our problem is we are only on waiting list for assisted place so this wait could go on for some time, just when I wanted closure and my life back! If we are not successful in getting assisted place, it would be such a change in lifestyle to afford full fees when the alternative is just as good.
As you say, then you start swinging back to CH because of loyalty etc and wondering what eldest daughter must be thinking about all this.
I am so confused and so indecisive!
Good luck to you, I hope you all come to a decision soon.
mm2

Post by mm2 »

Hi kegs mom2 and kes parent and everyone else

Dh and I have only just decided to agree cos we are exhausted thinking about it.

As KES parent said can't really lose whichever way.

Like you Distance and cost don't make ahuge difference.
DS has ben awarded scholarship( which only covers part fees, but we could afford it . ( but DH said could save £50k and put towards uni fees etc)

Other dilemma , has a good friend going to both schools.

i think need a break now so let's remember the main thing here

mm2

Post by mm2 »

"fancy a break fancy a .........."

you know you want to
mm2

Post by mm2 »

hi all

are you still feeling

fingerscrossed

Post by fingerscrossed »

mm2 and kegs mom2 I really feel for you and I'm anxiously awaiting your decision - even though I don't have personal experience of either school - although well aware of excellent reputation of both.

The only thing I have to add is that when my daughter looked around the Grammar schools in year 5, she was sure of the one she wanted to go to. In year 6 when she looked again, the school which she had been adamant was in poll position dropped to 4th on her list. She knows that she passed the exam for her rejected school, but has never looked back or regretted her decision. Having made the decision herself, she has embraced her school and loves it - even when she's not had a great day! It may be worth insisting on another look round.

One other thing - if you've got any younger children still to go through this nightmare process - can you be sure that you can give them the same opportunity to attend the independent school if they are offered a place? If not will there be any resentment? In my limited experience teenagers seem to go through life looking for as many injustices as possible in your treatment of them against their siblings! Good luck - whatever you decide your children have a great future in front of them, and you will, occasionally, doubt your decision because that's what caring parents do!!
mm2

Post by mm2 »

hello fingerscrossed
So nice to hear from you.
You are absolutley right about younger sibling.
Yes we have a daughter 2 yrs younger.
We did consider this when applying for the exam for KES.
I have always looked at my children as a pair- all for both or not at all.
They are completetly different in terms of personality and ability.
don't get me wrong , but ds has a natural ability to acheive much with little effort. But also he is the more stressful of the two eg. when opened letter and saw tthe ecstatic news that had been offered camphill then proceeded to tell me he had been given detention that day for something or another-lost count now.
Whereas Dd is the angel and will have to slog hard but has the most wonderful set of friends that the dilemma may even be not consider grammar if it means splitting them up.
with DS- worked hard to make sure they were split up.
fingerscrossed

Post by fingerscrossed »

Oh Dear mm2 its not getting any easier is it?!

The case for both is evenly balanced - anyone who has agonised over this decision as much as you have is going to make the right decision. You so clearly know you children well, and want what will suit them both best. Your gut feeling will be the right one, I'm sure. Good luck - maybe baking afternoon tea will help decide?!!
kegs dad 2

Post by kegs dad 2 »

Hi all,
mm2,
Yet another problem for you, which friend will ds upset by not choosing their school? Our ds has one friend who got Aston, so nobody to offend, only older brother!
Ds still seems to be leaning towards Kes, probably after dh casually mentioned 8 weeks summer break, no key stage 3 sats, clay pigeon shooting and archery! Evil man!
I am now resigning myself to whichever choice! I was beginning to feel quite upset about it, almost as if ds had a choice between two failing schools, rather than two of the best!
I took myself off to the Appeals section for a reality check, where the heart-rending stories made me realise just how lucky ds is! Sincere best wishes to all those who have shared their stories and I sincerely hope all their clouds will have silver linings.
DH has put his finger on the problem, I just don't want to reject either school!
When ds is finally sure of his choice, and in all honesty I don't think there will be a wrong choice to be made, some ds and his family somewhere will be literally jumping for joy!
How are you doing mm2 is CHill still the favourite?
Thank you for the image instruction I am very grateful! You would think with three gs children I would have been able to do it already! :oops:
Good Luck to everyone, hope you can decide soon and then enjoy!!

Kegs mom2 almost kegs mom2/Kes mom1
It would be so much easier if I could be Kegs mom3!!
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now