new to all this - where do we start?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
zoggs

new to all this - where do we start?

Post by zoggs »

My son's teacher has said we should consider tutoring him in a couple of years time as he might be a candidate for 11+. So, do we forget about it and see how he goes or do I need to put his name down for a tutor now?

He is way too young for anything like that now (age 7, just finished Year 2) but this is all new to me and not something we have thought about before. He has been doing maths at Year 4 standard for the last few months and his reading is "a couple of marks under a Level 4".

I realise that he might have just had a good year and maybe he'll level out a bit from now but just in case he turns into a bit of a whizz I'd like to be prepared.

Any advice much appreciated.
fm

Post by fm »

It is probably a bit early to worry about it now. Wait and see seems a good policy. But by beginning of Year 4 you might consider searching for a tutor who will start from November Year 5. Good ones will be booked up long before you actually want to start. A year should be more than sufficient for a clever child to gain entry if they have the ability.

For now I would recommend you encourage him/her to read, read and read some more, because more than 1/2 of the Foundation exam is targeted at able and advanced readers (yes, even the maths) with a very good level of vocabulary.

The only reason I would start earlier than November is if you have any doubts about the standard of your primary school.

I hope this helps.