CEM Papers - KE Exams

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
za1

CEM Papers - KE Exams

Post by za1 »

Where can I find CEM type samples/papers please?
KenR

Post by KenR »

I'm afraid CEM type sample papers are not published or available. (Durham CEM Policy - they believe that this helps to make their exam tutor proof!)

Best to look at the some of the postings on the Birmingham forum so you can see what other parents are going to prepare their child for the exam.

Warwickshire uses a different type of CEM test so you could take a look on that forum as well.

Maybe try a few Cloze Test examples for variety!
fm

Post by fm »

Dear Kenr,

I am not so sure that the Warwickshire is going to be very different from ours. If you look at the sample sheet they send for the KE exam, unless it has changed from last year, it doesn't really resemble the real thing. The non-verbal is nothing like the real thing. And while the two maths questions could appear, there is no suggestion of the intensive mental maths they had last year. Also no indication of the cloze test.
Yes, the proofreading is there and in the format it appears but I wouldn't be surprised if they spring a proofreading on Warwickshire. While their paper does tell them about the Cloze test, ours doesn't and yet we had one last year and a form of one the year before.

Expect the unexpected would be my motto for both exams and warn the children (especially the high performing ones) that it will probably be the hardest that which has ever confronted them with lots of things they don't know. They should answer as much as they can in each section and then forget about it rather than dwell on what they couldn't answer and possibly spoil their next section. It's rather like a marathon where stamina and nerve are more important than quick flashes of brilliance.

Also they should ignore all the children in the break who are claiming to have found it easy. 90% of them are being economical with the truth.

And the best piece of advice I ever dispense to my pupils -- go to the toilet during the break, regardless of length of queue, or you'll end up going in the second half and losing at least 3 minutes in one section.

Regards,

Fm
KenR

Post by KenR »

Hi fm
Expect the unexpected would be my motto for both exams and warn the children (especially the high performing ones) that it will probably be the hardest that which has ever confronted them with lots of things they don't know. They should answer as much as they can in each section and then forget about it rather than dwell on what they couldn't answer and possibly spoil their next section. It's rather like a marathon where stamina and nerve are more important than quick flashes of brilliance.

Also they should ignore all the children in the break who are claiming to have found it easy. 90% of them are being economical with the truth.
Excellent advice, agree totally. Having seen the 2006 KE Grammar Raw/Standardised Scores table, the raw scores are significantly lower than convential NFER or Bond type papers

Regards
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now