Help - last minute nerves

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Pepper2

Help - last minute nerves

Post by Pepper2 »

1st entrance exams for Bishop Vesey this Saturday afternoon. My son seems to have been getting good results -90-95%- at his regular tutors, but here's the bummer.......I've been doing some back up with the NFER tests in this last week and he is getting 70-75%!!! I am trying to stay calm and positive with him but finding it hard. I am not sure whether to do some last minute cramming or just trust in his abilities (predicted top level 5's for his SATS) and the years prep with the tutor. Any words of wisdom???
Nosey

Post by Nosey »

If I was you I would back off. Confidence is important on the day of the exam as is restful sleep (for both of you). Any stress on you will be reflected on his performance. Let the tutor "big it up" (i.e. give the pep talk).

Also be aware that NFER familiarsation papers may not cover all the question types for your region so the tutors preparation my be on more relevant practice papers.

Post by Guest »

Don't worry to much. My son did exactly the same - getting approx 70%. However by 3rd NFER paper he got 100% on both VR and NVR - the relief was fantastic. Keep going! Still have fourth papers to do but might leave it as always best to end on a high.

Post by Guest »

You can't get 100% on the day unless you are a genius. The paper isn't set so that lots of people can get full marks, otherwise how could they separate the sheep from the goats?
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now