Tutor for unstretched year 4 boy

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

moseleymum

Tutor for unstretched year 4 boy

Post by moseleymum »

Hi all - Fantastic site!

My son (in year 4) doesn't seem stretched at his school. He loves to read and I worry that by the time the entrance exams for grammar schools come along, he will not be able to respond after stagnating for so long. I think he needs a tutor - to stimulate him to prepare for these exams. I understand the fear that children who are not naturally able will be stretching themselves to gain a place in a school that they will ultimately struggle in, but I honestly do not feel that this is the case here. Are there any experienced tutors, who keep up to date with the 11+ format, able to tutor him?

Thank you.
quizzer

Post by quizzer »

Hi moseleymum

year four child and loves to read, wow not much to worry about, VR will be a doddle if you start of slowly now just practicing different question types and get him interested in word puzzles and a bit of non verbal reasoning and jigsaws.Lots of maths available on the net, cover the curriculum (my DS can do the KS2 maths, both papers without a calculator and the mental maths in 50 mins, they are 45 mins each for their sats. Make sure he knows his times tables inside out and can answer them in a second and continue reading every thing and explore every opportunity to learn..i.e take him to the supermarket and take a close look at all the produce,veg,fruit, fish, herbs etc etc.

Schools are their to teach a curriculum learning is a natural thing done in everyday activities. From my own experience get a few CDs from this site and start of slowly and start winding up when they break up for summer.

Hope this is of some help
mike1880

Post by mike1880 »

I've sent you a pm, moseleymum.

I think you're probably on the right lines. We originally looked for a tutor for our son at the start of year 5 because we were pretty sure he was very good at maths but he seemed to be completely switched off about it and was struggling somewhat in the middle set (having spent some time in the bottom set in year 3); once there, we decided to have him work towards 11+ at the same time.

While it certainly made a difference to his maths (he was moved into the extension group in summer term of year 5 - just hope he stays there!) it also seems to have changed his overall attitude to school (there are a lot of things about tutoring that contribute to boosting confidence and I think that's what's done it). His settling in report for year 6 has given him the top rating for the effort he puts in, for the first time ever (in fact he ALWAYS had the lowest rating in the past!) and for self-organisation. And his teachers have now noticed him and have high expectations of him rather than allowing him to merge into the background - and as someone has pointed out on an other thread, expectations are probably the single most important thing.

Mike
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now