MonsterHouse

Test Confirmation

Post by MonsterHouse »

All,

Got the test confirmation for the test coming up in Nov. We opted for

1. Fiveways
2. Camphill

I have two questions

1. If my son does well and meets the higher requirements of Camphill, does he qualify to both, the norm being that if you don't meet first you get second choice, since most people put Camphill as forst choice. My question is can you be promoted up?

2. The blue sheet enclosed with the registration details has the following

* Proof reading
* Numeracy skills
* Verbal and Non Verbal Skills
* Comprehension
* Literacy Skills

We are familiar with most of them, but unclear on what is literacy skills. Can anyone give me an example for clarification, much appreciated.
KenR

Post by KenR »

Hi

The LEA only gves you an offer for 1 school, so if you have put Five Ways 1st on your LEA list and you pass the KE Foundaton pass mark for Five Ways then you will get an offer for that school.

Complications only normally apply if you put Camp Hill Boys first and Five Ways or Aston 2nd as the Camp Hill Boys pass mark is usually higher than Five Ways. This year the pass mark for Camp Hill was 341 with 329 for Five Ways.

e.g for the 2006 entry, if you put Camp Hill Boys 1st and Five Ways 2nd and your child scored anywhere between 340 and 329 then you would get an offer for Five Ways.

Note: the situation usually doesn't apply to Camp Hill Girls as the pass marks for Camp Hill Girls and Five Ways are normaly similar. Might occur for Camp Hill Girls and KE Handsworth where the pass mark of the latter is normally lower.

On your second question, I think the literacy tests refer to the section on synonyms. In last years tests you had to answer 80 questons in 10 mins.

The following is an example:-

e.g. each question requires the child to match pairs as below:-

- VOLATILE, loud, explosive, talkative, welcoming
- FLOURISH, thrive, fade, ruin. dismal, flowers, deluge
-FRIVOLOUS, friendly, sociable, pleasant, silly, sensible

ETC, ETC

This requires the child to have an excellent vocab and be able to answer questions very quickly 1 every 6-7 secs!

Hope this helps
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now