Saturday 8th Test Day!!!

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
blackwellmum

Saturday 8th Test Day!!!

Post by blackwellmum »

Having looked through some other areas forums, it seems like the Birmingham site is very quiet. Having looked at the amount of hits that postings get, which are normally very well viewed, I wonder how many of us are gearing up for Saturdays KE's foundation tests. Lets give each other a bit of moral support. The kids will be fine, but the few hours will drag for us I'm sure. Come out of the woodwork all Brum parents!!! :?
Claire
clarendon

Post by clarendon »

Hi blackwell mum... Mike and I have been posting on another topic in the Brum section and thought it was only us so great to have you to chat to as well! My daughter is sitting the test at CHill on Sat. She is a little anxious but has the ability to remain calm when needed. She is quite mature in this respect. I'm the frazzled one panicking almost like a role reversal!!

Is your son or daughter sitting the test?

Regards Clarendon
blackwellmum

Post by blackwellmum »

My daughter is taking it at Five Ways. We're already in a middle school system that is good so I'm chilled about it all, but my daughter is so eager to get in. She's quite looking forward to doing the test and says she's not worried too much!! CH is 2nd choice but much more difficult for us to get to. Would need public transport most of time!!good luck to your daughter! At least you can go into Kings Heath for a few hours and while the time away.!!
Claire
clarendon

Post by clarendon »

Hi and good luck to your daughter. We live a long way from C. Hill and much nearer to KE Handsworth but my d prefers CHill... she's very sporty and likes the pool and sports centre there so we put that first and H/worth 2nd. I like the feeling of space and openness at CHill but ultimately if she's happy then so am I!!

Yes, will go into Kings Heath and grab a bargain at International Stock!
fm

Post by fm »

Yes, my daughter loved the pool--until she actually had to swim in it. Absolutely freezing, apparently.
blackwellmum

Post by blackwellmum »

my two daughters were taught to swim at first school in the local outdoor centre swimming pool which was soo cold. I used to help (in my wetsuit) and by the end of the sessions all the kids had convinced their parents to buy one for them too. It would have been cheaper for us to have paid for a coach and gone somewhere warm!! its character building though hey!! does your daughter like the school apart from the cold pool?
Claire
mike1880

Post by mike1880 »

Five Ways is a lovely school, it's certainly my wife's favourite but our son prefers Camp Hill (because of the Warhammer club - glad he's got his priorities right :roll: ). Camp Hill got first place on the form by default because of the higher cut off score - personally, I would be over the moon if he got into either. We didn't put Aston on the form, he'd have to leave the house at 6.40am - Bishop Vesey got third place instead, courtesy of the Cross City line, although we're unhappy about the distance.

Son appears completely oblivious to the event at the moment - which has both advantages and disadvantages.

Best wishes for both your daughters on Saturday!

Mike
fm

Post by fm »

To be honest, I don't know if she likes it. On the couple of occasions I have asked, she has replied, 'Mum, it's school. What's to like?'

She does not appear unhappy, however. She has complained some of the teachers are boring but none have been nasty (she's had one or two of those in primary school). She likes most of the girls although they are a bit too well-behaved for her liking. While she is not particularly naughty herself, she misses the entertainment value of funny/naughty boys from primary school.

Work-wise they seem to do a lot in class (if her book is anything to go by) but there has been a surprising lack of homework. Usually just half an hour a night it appears. I am not too fussed about this as I am not a fan of homework for homework's sake.
blackwellmum

Post by blackwellmum »

Homework is such a big discussion point. I have 2 friends with children at 2 different private schools and the homework is just mad. 2 hours some nights for an 8 year old!!! Surely at that age they should be doing some reading, spellings, and maybe a few pieces of english/maths over the week. They need time to be kids!!! My 2 do just as well and they have far less homework in the week. We've managed to fit in time to go through things for saturday in a fun way, and are determined to continue to be chilled about it(except when I think aboutt the test I get butterflies and dd doesn't!!)
Claire
fm

Post by fm »

Possibly the private schools are responding to parental wishes. Many people do think homework is vital, even at primary level. Oddly enough I don't remember getting any at that stage and I enjoyed a very old-fashioned, traditional Scottish education in the fifties.

My biggest problem is when I tutor children from prep. schools and they don't always have the time to do my homework. Sometimes they end up less well-prepared than my pupils from state schools who do have the time to do my King Edward-specific homework.