Sunday Times schools list

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

clarendon

Sunday Times schools list

Post by clarendon »

Looking thru' this I noticed that Sutton Girls' and both QM grammars in Walsall are higher up than KE Aston, I was quite surprised by this and wonder if I'm missing something? Sutton is 42nd, QM boys' is 70, QM Girls' is 72nd and Aston is 75th. Both CHill schools are high ranking... the girls' at 15 and boys' 21 with KE Handsworth 30 and 5 ways 31.

The tables are compiled according to no of A/B grades at A level and no of A*/A at GCSE. Am interested as have to decide on schools for my son next year.

Thanks to anyone.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

probably not too relevant to the issue here but some schools can attract quite a few pupils into the 6th form and "discourage" others from staying on - can influence the A level results,....

As for specific schools - I don't know in detail for KEA or the QMs - I sure someone will be able to give you some more info
quizzer

Post by quizzer »

Hi

You have to take quite a bit into consideration when looking at the tables,

Are the schools results on a upward trend?

The selection exams changed from Nfer to CEM Durham ones for the KGS in 2003/4, not entirely sure when but possibly KenR will know exactly.
When will we Know if this produced better results in their exams by identifying more capable children for selection into their schools?

I think King Edwards Aston actually went up in the school standings.

Bishop Vessey has been improving for the last five years and got into the top 100 schools and the Headmaster in his speech at the open day expressed their endeavor to be in the top 50 in five years time.

I think Queen Mary's has produced good results for a few years now.

Handsworth Grammar seems to be on a bit of a decline.

All in all a few things to weigh up when putting down the order of schools.

I personally would be delighted if my DS and nephew got there first choices which were balanced out by distance and results and each chose a different 1st choice, but i wouldn't be disappointed at all if they got any of the grammars.

We only put the closest King Edwards school down regardless of their standings as i think if the child is capable and willing he will get good results in which ever King Edwards Grammers he goes to.

Just my thoughts.

Quizzer
ss1

Post by ss1 »

I noticed in the latest set of league tables published showed that Sutton Grammar Girls school was about 9th in the Alevel Results and 7th in GCSE's so I am a little puxxled as to its level in this report
quizzer

Post by quizzer »

Not Sutton in Birmingham.. as in Sutton Coldfied, West Mids.....but Sutton as in the London area

Qiuzzer
ss1

Post by ss1 »

Quizzer it is definately Sutton Grammar School for Girls see attached links

The link for A Levels

http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/sch ... s/grammars

The link for GCSE

http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/sch ... s/grammars
fm

Post by fm »

The first year for the Durham exam to have an impact is the current Year 11 doing their GCSE's this year. I know this because I am still in touch with my pupils who were first to do the new exam.

It will be interesting to see how this translates in results. I am not convinced it will make a huge difference. Yes, children used to get in on the back of a huge amount of verbal and non-verbal training who possibly wouldn't get in now but the same children may have been supported hugely by their parents so they did go on to get decent GCSE's. I think the difference, if there is any, will probably be seen at A level.

I also think there is an automatic presumption that the KE schools outrank anywhere else but I don't think this has been the case for a while. I certainly know a friend who taught at Queen Mary's told me about 2 or 3 years ago that they were dancing round the staffroom, having beaten Aston (and Five Ways, I think) in the league tables.

I also believe people underestimate Sutton Girls. Last year we put it 3rd on my daughter's list before Handsworth Girls', and that was based on atmosphere of the school and feedback from children who attend it. If it weren't for distance, it would probably have ranked 2nd. My friend's girl went this year and both the amount and quality of homework given has certainly surpassed my child's at Camp Hill, although it is obviously early days.

At any rate, I would never pick a school based on position in league tables. If a school is in the top 100, then where in the top hundred is neither here nor there. Yes, some of it will be down to quality of teaching at a specific school but more will be down to the quality of the intake and any particular year may be a poor year. I believe, for instance, Handsworth Girls' had a particularly bad year of GCSE results two years ago; this followed one of their best year's ever. Did this mean the school was suddenly going downhill or did it just mean they had a 'right shower' that year as teachers have been known to delicately put it?

Choosing a school is hard. For instance the answer to 'Where could I see my child being happiest?' as opposed to 'Where will my child do the best?' is not always the same.
clarendon

Post by clarendon »

Thanks for all the relies.... I guess I was a little naive to think just because the school is a KE it SHOULD rank higher. There seems to be a lot of snobbery around amongst parents whereby QM, and to a lesser extent Sutton and BV are seen as second best. I guess I was just a little surprised to see how far "down" Aston was but then it's all relative and certainly a huge achievement to even make top 100 schools in the country. We are very lucky here to have such a good selection of brilliant schools.

I agree with you fm.. it's where you envisage your child having a happy and fulfilling time... my son and I both loved QM... the atmosphere and attitude of staff and boys.
quizzer

Post by quizzer »

totally agree with you Clarendon...

QMS and Bishop Vessey really impressed my DS and us too..

He kept on saying how much he really liked these schools and how difficult it was to choose one or the other.....

It was his love of golf that swung it in the way of Bishop Vesssey at the end.

That was as good as a reason as far as i was concerned as i like to play golf too...

Quizzer
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now