NFER Papers & Maths

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Elbart

NFER Papers & Maths

Post by Elbart »

Hi All,

Those who have had experience of children that have sat the Bishop Vesey / Sutton Girls Grammar School 11+ entrance test, would you say that the NFER practice papers are a good representation of what they might expect in the real exam ? Or would they need something a bit more challenging / varied ?

What would be good books to use in preparation for the Maths test ?

Thanks

Elbart

p.s. will be home tutoring my son for 11+ next year :)
Elbart

Post by Elbart »

...... seems that many of the visitors to the site are either busy, or unable to recall their preparation for 11+.

Anyway, thanks to HodgeHillDad for his PM and how he prepared his son.
Mike

Post by Mike »

Hi Elbart

Apologies for not replying earlier.

The Tutors have written a syllabus for the NFER Mathematics tests and a series of twenty question papers that mirror the NFER practice papers. They are both in CD format and a free demo for each CD is available in the Interactive CDs section.

Regards

Mike
Mike Edwards is a co-author of The Tutors product range.
mitasol

Post by mitasol »

Hi Elbart,

Have you looked at the Birmingham information?
shana Lewis

Post by shana Lewis »

Hi,

My son sat the BV test and from what he said the NFER preparation papers were very useful and mirrored the difficulty level most children. If your child finds the level 4 books too easy you can always raise the game by introducung the Level 5 books which are a bit more advanced.There are certain topics such as ratios , algebra and equations which are not taught in most state primaries until after the BV test so he may need some extra tuitition for these.
I f you are putting him in for King Edwards grammers, mental arithmitic and speed are very important so lots of 10 minute tests (once he has understood the methods of how to tackle different question types) ) would be more appropriate .
shana Lewis

Post by shana Lewis »

Sorry - delted some of my own message somehow! Should read 'most children will find the Bonds books very useful....'etc
Mike

Post by Mike »

Hi Shana

Both of The Tutors CDs contain bonus material with over 1000 mental arithmetic questions.

Regards

Mike
Mike Edwards is a co-author of The Tutors product range.
Elbart

Post by Elbart »

Thanks All for your info. Will certainly take it on-board going forward.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now