KEHS for girls

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
blackwellmum

KEHS for girls

Post by blackwellmum »

Does anyone know how many applications are in for 2009 intake? My friend has heard that it is 450 for 75 places and is now worried about her daughter gaining entry, so I wondered if anyone knew? its still a lot less than the KE foundation schools!! :?
KenR

Post by KenR »

Historically it used to be much lower than that. The numbers taking the exam for Sept 2004, 2005 & 2006 entry were 258, 242 & 270 respectively. So the odds used to be about 1:3.5

Don't know whether the introduction of the new improved bursary scheme in 2007 might have increased the numbers of applicants, however I would have thought this would be offset by the effects of the credit crunch as Grammar School applicants are generally thought to have increased significantly.
fm

Post by fm »

It's also not quite as bad odds as it seems, because a good numer of 'passes' will reject their places the moment they get into the free grammar schools. Last year 4 out of 6 of my KEHS passes did this, accepting places at Camp Hill and Five Ways instead.
KES Parent

Post by KES Parent »

Blackwell Mum, I think maybe your friend is getting confused with the boys' school, where they do normally have around 450 candidates. However, their Year 7 intake is much bigger than the girls' (125 as opposed to 75 or thereabouts) so I would guess there are proportionately fewer applicants to KEHS than to KES. The chances of getting a place are probably similar at both KE schools. Also as fm says, a lot of girls (and boys) will turn down a fee paying place if they get offered a free place at the grammar school of their choice.
mike1880

Post by mike1880 »

There certainly seemed to be at least 450 dropping off at KES this morning! Never seen so many Audi Q7s in my life, there were so many it was impossible to focus the waves of ecological hate.

Mike
blackwellmum

Post by blackwellmum »

KES Parent wrote:Blackwell Mum, I think maybe your friend is getting confused with the boys' school, where they do normally have around 450 candidates. However, their Year 7 intake is much bigger than the girls' (125 as opposed to 75 or thereabouts) so I would guess there are proportionately fewer applicants to KEHS than to KES. The chances of getting a place are probably similar at both KE schools. Also as fm says, a lot of girls (and boys) will turn down a fee paying place if they get offered a free place at the grammar school of their choice.
No, this was definately a conversation directed to her with a daughter. Interestingly, a conversation with KEHS yesterday, although not said directly, indicated that the numbers were less than originally thought!! thank you for your input, the grammar school info is helpful to pass on also!!