KES interviews

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

KES Parent

Post by KES Parent »

I agree with fm that the size of bursary you need would have nothing to do with whether your son is offered a place or not - they want the cleverest boys in the school, and they use the exam to select them. I also agree that it would be only fair to tell you beforehand if he wasn't in line for any bursary money when inviting him for interview, so all in all I think you can be reasonably optimistic about his chances. He may even end up with an academic scholarship which wouldn't be reduced if your own income suddenly improved, whereas a bursary would obviously be reduced to reflect your changed circumstances.
KES Parent

Post by KES Parent »

Just to add that I was very worried when my DS took the exam not to have heard anything until the results were posted, but he was offered a place OK. We hadn't applied for a bursary as the income levels you could qualify at were much much lower then, but lots of people qualify now they have raised them. So don't worry anyone whose DS hasn't been invited for an interview, I'm sure they couldn't possibly interview everyone who will be offered a place as it would take up far too much time. I would guess like most schools they offer at least twice as many places as they have spaces available, which would mean interviewing at least 250 boys if they saw them all!
fm

Post by fm »

I don't believe KES over offer to the scale of twice the places. I don't think they need to because I know of several children who have passed the free KE exam but still opt for KES, as a school offering more than just good academic results. Instead I think they possibly offer 30 over their maximum, but also have a reserve of the borderline interviewed children who may not initially be offered a place but later will be offered places as and when they become available. I know of borderline children being initially denied places only to be offered in April, May or even June.
If you look on their website, it suggests in one place that 15 children are on assisted places and in another 25 (at least I think so but I have had a glass or two of wine). Whichever is the correct figure, this is not a huge number compared with the number who apply so inevitably they will go for children who really have done significantly well in the entrance exam (and not just children who have passed and can't go without an assisted place).
mike1880

Post by mike1880 »

"Looking at previous posts, it seems that potential scholarship pupils are invited for interview first and borderline case invited later. "

Ditto; as far as I can see, in previous years the scholarship interview calls have been made on the Thursday after the exam. We didn't get one (I wasn't seriously expecting one but one can always hope! Five years is a long time to eat lentils and beans) so I'm assuming if we get a phone call now it will be for a borderline interview.

Mike
ews147

KES waiting game

Post by ews147 »

Well I guess all the interviews are out of the way now...my ds had one on Mondayr. He was quite happy with it all but said most of the questions were not straight forward but purely of an academic nature....is this what others of found?

Well, it's a case of waiting now till Saturday - good luck to all those who sat the test!!! :)
shana Lewis

Post by shana Lewis »

Hi,

My son was called for an interview which he quite enjoyed. He was asked lots of general questions but was probed somewhat on historical knowledge - he didn't mind though and felt it was more like an interesting discussion .Lets hope the outcome is reflected in his confidence!?
Good luck to your ds as well ! :)
za1

KES Interview

Post by za1 »

MY lad had a borderline interview last Thursday. Just a short 15 min chat on hobbies and why he wants to go to the school. They also asked him a question from the comprehension - presumably one of the ones he got wrong.

Results out on Friday. Obviously hope/pray he get's in so that some kind of pressure is taken of the main results in March!!
shana Lewis

Post by shana Lewis »

Hubby and I downing the wine tonight ! Good luck to all waiting for results tomorrow from KES!
mike1880

Post by mike1880 »

Yes, good luck to everyone - we haven't had an interview so it's a straight pass or straight rejection for us (I know which one I'm expecting since parents' evening! :x ).

Mike
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now