Countdown to 2nd March!!

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

blackwellmum

Countdown to 2nd March!!

Post by blackwellmum »

Just thought I'd start a new discussion up ready for our results in a few weeks. How many of us use this forum? I've found it really helpful for the past few months . My daughter has almost forgotten about the results, as the test was so long ago. How are all of parents and kids faring??
Good luck to everyone.
clarendon

Post by clarendon »

Well, I'm outwardly faring well but inwardly faring not so well!! For the past couple of weeks I've been waking really early and been unable to get back to sleep.... not that I feel I'm consciously worrying but there's obviously something going on. I applied online so now have to face sitting up half the night waiting for an email or trying to log into details. It seemed a good idea last autumn..

Anyone had experience from last year of this who can say how easy/difficult it was, please?

My daughter not overly concerned at the mo' but then I've made a conscious decision to not keep mentioning it. She's having fun with her friends and relaxing etc so want her to continue doing that.

Like many other posters on this site I seem to have become reliant on choc and wine...

Best wishes to all parents/kids
mike1880

Post by mike1880 »

My main trouble is that two of our safety nets have already fallen apart so it's turning out to be an even more stressful wait than I expected. (But at least we tried - if we hadn't attempted it we'd be kicking ourselves on March 3rd if things don't work out.) I had a terrible night's sleep last night - dreams about schools for some reason...it would probably be better if I stopped hanging around here winding myself up and went and got on with something more useful, but that's easier said than done!

I'm not sure if it will be possible to view details on line other than via email, the online applications page isn't working. I don't know if it's gone for good for this year's applications or whether it will return for March. At the moment, I'm planning to avoid email like the plague and wait for the post - email seemed such a good idea six months ago but I was a lot more confident then!

We've also got a policy of not mentioning it, and although our daughter does remind him at every opportunity I think he's mostly put it to the back of his mind (well, strictly speaking he probably just forgets all about it - he makes the average goldfish look like a crazed monomaniac). And since he doesn't know what day it is most of the time, he's not likely to notice that the date is looming…

Mike
clarendon

Post by clarendon »

Mike... online apps is working.. just checked it after scrambling around for log in details. If you visit BCC education site go to online admissions and then online sign in page, enter your details and your application is brought up on screen. Don't know if this is updated when results issued tho'... might ring Margaret St to check on this.
mike1880

Post by mike1880 »

I'll have to try when I get home - something in the set-up at work doesn't like the login page. From home it was telling me it didn't recognise my user name - I tried all the likely options plus my email address and it didn't like any of them, I assumed they'd shut the site down.

Mike
layla

Post by layla »

Clarendon & Mike

I don't think we do need log in details, as it will be sent via (personal) email??
fm

Post by fm »

Well, it wasn't sent via e-mail last year or the year before, I believe. Is this a new arrangement?
mike1880

Post by mike1880 »

Yes, if you applied online you get notified by email at midnight on the 2nd (I think it means night of 2nd/3rd but I haven't checked).

Mike
sati

Post by sati »

We've talked about the results date once or twice but have reiterated that he gave it his best shot and we'll won't take the result in a negative way if it doesn't go his way.

However, it's just natural to still be worried and occasionally lose some sleep.

Goods luck to all the parents and kids.
fm

Post by fm »

To Mike,

My understanding last year (and what was contained in the manual) was that I'd receive an e-mail but I never did. I had to log onto the system. Now, possibly mine was an anomaly and other people can confirm they did receive an e-mail, but I thought I'd write this to warn people that they don't always receive e-mails. I know of others who didn't as well.

At any rate, I decided not to discover the result until my child had gone to school the next morning. I reasoned that if it was bad news, I'd need time to adjust and get over my disappointment before I had to comfort my child and say the right words. I also reasoned if it was good news and she went blabbing in the playground, it would upset children who'd had bad news or didn't yet know.

It is a very sensitive time and I know long term friendships which have broken up on the wrong word being spoken--and that's the parents I mean, not the children, who are a much more resilient bunch, provided their parents handle the right way. In fact, most of my pupils are more concerned about disappointing their parents than not getting into a school they really know little about.