Countdown to 2nd March!!

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
shana Lewis

Post by shana Lewis »

Hi,

My son is hoping for Camp Hill too. I'm not so sure though as I thought it had a 'heavy' atmosphere on the open evening - what do others think?I really liked five Ways but it is quite a distance from us..still I suppose we have to be grateful if we are offered either. :)
fm

Post by fm »

I had 3 of my male pupils go to Camp Hill 2 years ago. All were very different kind of boys (sporty, musical, geeky) and all are perfectly happy at Camp Hill. In fact, 2 of them are much happier than at their state primary school where they were considered odd.

The exam will sort it out for you, anyway, and, as you say, we are lucky if our children win a place at any of these selective schools.
mm2

Post by mm2 »

Hi All You folks In Brum,
Have been absent from site for a while, so apologies in not contributing to any threads.

I would like to wholeheartedly wish each and every one of you and your DC's good luck .

This time last year was a very stressful time, but all I can say is that amongst my friends there were a mixed set of outcomes on results day- some of great joy and some who thought it was the end of the world. Fast forward 11months and I can say that each and every single child and parents are very happy where their child has ended up.
With loving, supportive parents an able child will achieve anywhere.

Good luck.

mm2
ps last year we distracted ourselves with jokes, pics etc. esp for Clarendon , who I think is running out of choc and wine supplies.

80's girl

Post by 80's girl »

We are very lucky in that our ds has got an assisted place at KES, which is where he really wanted to go. I must say I have found the whole process very stressful, even though I thought I wouldn't. I agree that I feel for the children as I think it is a lot to take on at the age of 10, and particularly the King Edward's exam was quite daunting with all those people there. We got there early to be on the safe side, and my ds said the worse part of the exam was sitting there having to wait for 3 quarters of an hour in silence feeling increasingly nervous about what was to come. I just felt so awful when they walked him away and when he came out of the exam he looked so drained. Luckily he doesn't seem too damaged by the whole experience, and it is something he really wanted to do even though I did warn him it would be hard work.
I must say I have found this site very helpful as I knew nothing about how to prepare for the 11+ and particularly Fm's and Ken R's posts have been very informative. I would like to wish everyone the best of luck for the 2nd March.
DIY Mum
Location: Not in a hole in the ground but in a land where once they dwelt-the Beormingas

Post by DIY Mum »

Welcome back mm2! Your pictures were really entertaining last year.

One week to go... :roll:

Good luck all.
DIY Mum

P.s.
Congratulations Joannedoc on your son winning an AP at KES!
80's girl

Post by 80's girl »

Thank you DIY mom, it was a real surprise to us all!
quizzer

Post by quizzer »

Hi every one.. These are extracts from the booklets you recieve for the secondary school selection..

The first is what happened in 2008

3 March 2008 ... You will be sent a letter on this date to let you know the secondary school place we are
offering your child. Letters will be sent by first class post and should arrive
at your home address by 4 March 2008.

Benefits of online admissions:
Many parents/carers have found the following benefits:
• It is quick and easy
• It is available 24 hours a day and 7 days a week up
until the published final closing date
• Your application is acknowledged by return email
• An email confirming the school that your child has
been offered will be sent out at 00:01 am on 4
March 2008

This is the extract taken from the 2009 booklet

2 March 2009 You will be sent a letter on this date to let you know the secondary school place we are
offering your child. Letters will be sent by first class post and should arrive
at your home address by 3 March 2009.

Benefits of online admissions:
Many parents/carers have found the following benefits:
• It is quick and easy
• It is available 24 hours a day and 7 days a week
up until the published final closing date
• Your application is acknowledged by return email
• An email confirming the school that your child has
been offered will be sent out at 00:01 am on 2
March 2009

• Letters offering school places will be posted first class
by the Local Authority on 2 March 2009.

So if you done the online application you will receive your email in the early hour of Monday morning .

Letters will be sent out that morning.

Quizzer
fm

Post by fm »

Well, that is certainly different from last year. Are you sure it isn't a misprint?
I can't believe the Education Authority would really want to create a situation where some children know their places a whole 24hrs+ than other children. That seems very inequitable.
quizzer

Post by quizzer »

No it is not a miss print..

I assume they want to get more people applying on line..

This was the reason we done the online application because they can just send the email to us at 00.01 on Monday and not be waiting for the post to arrive on Tuesday

Quizzer
serialtester

Post by serialtester »

If Birmingham City Council manage to do something productive in the middle of a sunday night I'll be amazed :D

I wonder how many of us will be on the phone to the admissions team tomorrow to double check?!
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now